Are almost all Carnival cruisers from the USA?

OCruisers

You are right but they are not from the USA which is what the OP asked.

From Google:

Is Puerto Rico a U.S. State?

No, Puerto Rico is not a state, but rather a Commonwealth of the United States.

So is Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts. And living in a commonwealth means nothing in terms of your citizenship. You are still an American citizen. So in the context of the questions, you can't consider cruises with alot of Puerto Ricans as not mostly U.S. citizens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Are almost all passengers who cruise on Carnival from the USA? :confused:

On Carnival we've only cruised out of Charleston, SC or Florida ports

(always 7 day cruises) and have very seldom met fellow passengers (even from Canada) who were not from the USA.

Is this because of our embarkation ports or is it always true for Carnival?

On other cruise lines we've always had lots from a variety of different countries.

Just wondering .... LuLu

There is always a mixture.

From Google:

Is Puerto Rico a U.S. State?

No, Puerto Rico is not a state, but rather a Commonwealth of the United States.

Stop digging :eek:

Funny, I was born in Puerto Rico, and under place of birth in my US passport it says USA. [emoji848]

To the OP: Carnival markets their US based cruises heavily in the USA and Canada. The vast majority of fellow cruisers will be from these countries on ships departing from US ports.

If you're looking for a more diverse ship, cruise the MSC Divina out of Miami. It's an Italian cruise line. We met Australians, Germans, Brazilians, Belgians, Austrians, and Italians too!

We just returned from the Divina out of Miami and Americans were the minority. We met cruisers from all over Europe, South America, and Asia. I do recommend MSC for cruisers who want a more diverse experience close to home and something outside of the Carnival/Royal/NCL type of cruising. But I think that people who are used to American cruise lines either need to go with an open mind, or do some research before sailing on MSC. The only time during the entire week when we talked to Americans was when we arrived in St. Maarten and we shared a cab to Maho Beach. Interestingly, they were from Georgia (where we live) and they were hating this cruise on MSC. The conversation during the entire ride to the beach was about how much MSC sucked and how they were going back to Carnival which in their opinion was so much better.

The other time when we saw Americans was when we arrived in San Juan and went to Senor Frog's for a quick bite before touring the old city. The place was packed with Americans....from the Carnival Magic that was docked next to us! [emoji23] Senor Frog's is more of an American type of establishment and fellow cruisers on the MSC Divina apparently cared very little for it.

The Divina gets a lot of negative reviews from Americans who don't get the fact that this is an Italian ship catering heavily to a very international and diverse clientele so things won't be quite like they are when you sail on American cruise lines that cater heavily to Americans. Even though the ship's official language is English, most crewmembers and fellow cruisers speak it as a second language. Announcements and Daily programs are offered in 6-7 languages (even the Captain gave his welcome aboard speech in that many languages. Impressive but tedious!). Activities focus more on non-verbal entertainment (fans of comedy clubs better book on a different cruise line as there are no comedians onboard, except for the occasional joke from the Cruise Director). Cuisine offered onboard tends to appeal to a broader clientele, which means that it's a bit on the repetitive and uninspiring side, and little things like getting water refills during dinner at the MDR can be a bit challenging at times since this is more of an American custom. The staff is friendly but unobtrusive which a lot of people mistake for rudeness.

But the Divina has a lot of positives and offers a wonderful cruise experience if you go knowing what to expect. The ship is absolutely beautiful and impeccably clean. Staterooms are some of the best I've had on any cruise lines, and they are currently offering some of the most generous promotions to attract US cruisers. They even matched my Carnival Platinum status to their loyalty program! [emoji3]

Edited by Tapi

We have always found many Canadians on our cruises. Once, we sailed with a group of 500 Indians. It was a delight sailing with such polite folks especially compared to the Canadians. (thanks to one rude Canadian in the hot tub)

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I didn't think Canadians were rude, I once remember as a kid going to space camp in Alabama and once they found out you were from Canada they thought they were better than us

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Would be nice is Carnival had a ship stationed in NYC year-round for 10 days cruises to the Caribbean and 7 days cruised to Bermuda. You'd get more Canadians and folks from the NE cruising if they did so, because we could drive to the port and avoid the expense of flights. Less flights = more cruise money!

umm, you do know that nyc is in the north, right?

We just returned from the Divina out of Miami and Americans were the minority. We met cruisers from all over Europe, South America, and Asia. I do recommend MSC for cruisers who want a more diverse experience close to home and something outside of the Carnival/Royal/NCL type of cruising. But I think that people who are used to American cruise lines either need to go with an open mind, or do some research before sailing on MSC. The only time during the entire week when we talked to Americans was when we arrived in St. Maarten and we shared a cab to Maho Beach. Interestingly, they were from Georgia (where we live) and they were hating this cruise on MSC. The conversation during the entire ride to the beach was about how much MSC sucked and how they were going back to Carnival which in their opinion was so much better.

The other time when we saw Americans was when we arrived in San Juan and went to Senor Frog's for a quick bite before touring the old city. The place was packed with Americans....from the Carnival Magic that was docked next to us! [emoji23] Senor Frog's is more of an American type of establishment and fellow cruisers on the MSC Divina apparently cared very little for it.

The Divina gets a lot of negative reviews from Americans who don't get the fact that this is an Italian ship catering heavily to a very international and diverse clientele so things won't be quite like they are when you sail on American cruise lines that cater heavily to Americans. Even though the ship's official language is English, most crewmembers and fellow cruisers speak it as a second language. Announcements and Daily programs are offered in 6-7 languages (even the Captain gave his welcome aboard speech in that many languages. Impressive but tedious!). Activities focus more on non-verbal entertainment (fans of comedy clubs better book on a different cruise line as there are no comedians onboard, except for the occasional joke from the Cruise Director). Cuisine offered onboard tends to appeal to a broader clientele, which means that it's a bit on the repetitive and uninspiring side, and little things like getting water refills during dinner at the MDR can be a bit challenging at times since this is more of an American custom. The staff is friendly but unobtrusive which a lot of people mistake for rudeness.

But the Divina has a lot of positives and offers a wonderful cruise experience if you go knowing what to expect. The ship is absolutely beautiful and impeccably clean. Staterooms are some of the best I've had on any cruise lines, and they are currently offering some of the most generous promotions to attract US cruisers. They even matched my Carnival Platinum status to their loyalty program! [emoji3]

did they match your platinum status permanently or as a one time trial offer to get to you see what it would be like :confused:

did they match your platinum status permanently or as a one time trial offer to get to you see what it would be like :confused:

I need to book 1 cruise in the next 36 months in order to keep my benefits. This rule applies to all MSC Voyager's Club members, not only members who earned their status via their match program.

It was nice to have instant status, and I will not complain about receiving free stuff, but I consider the benefits offered on other cruise lines to be more generous. Carnival Platinum is the equivalent of MSC Gold (Carnival Diamond is MSC Black). We received a 5% discount off the cruise fare (that was very nice). Once onboard, we received a fruit plate in the room, an invitation to a members cocktail party with the Captain, a free photo (you can't pick any. They specifically tell you from which event), a booklet with discounts (which we never received), a pass for the Aurea Spa (we actually received 4 since there were 4 family members in our stateroom), and a logo item (a blue baseball cap with the MSC logo).

These were all nice things, and I specially appreciated the discount and the passes to the spa. But I missed having embarkation or free laundry like on Carnival. Not complaining, just pointing out the things that I most enjoy about Carnival's Platinum status. [emoji3]

Edited by Tapi

My husband and I are from Canada, and we've cruised Carnival six times...seventh coming up in Dec 2016. With the recent poor performance of our Canadian dollar in relation to the American dollar, you're probably seeing fewer of us on cruises.

But we just can't resist cruising....it's a great escape from our cold winters!

What they said :D, 7 months of cold/chilly weather gets pretty tiring...

A $1000 USD cruise for Americans is $1400 CDN to us, plus flights (we don't have a discount airline just 2 major airlines so very little competition) and it adds up...

We are from Canada and find it cheap to fly from Buffalo Ny to Ft Lauderdale

Us too! Flying out of Buffalo to Florida is a lot cheaper and less hassle then out of Toronto.

Canadian here, and I am going on #8 with Carnival in September. We usually fly to Florida as it's the closest cruise port for us to the Caribbean. This upcoming cruise is going out of NYC - so it's going to be a different experience for me. I live about an hour's flight away from NYC and I've never been - so looking forward to it!

I need to book 1 cruise in the next 36 months in order to keep my benefits. This rule applies to all MSC Voyager's Club members, not only members who earned their status via their match program.

It was nice to have instant status, and I will not complain about receiving free stuff, but I consider the benefits offered on other cruise lines to be more generous. Carnival Platinum is the equivalent of MSC Gold (Carnival Diamond is MSC Black). We received a 5% discount off the cruise fare (that was very nice). Once onboard, we received a fruit plate in the room, an invitation to a members cocktail party with the Captain, a free photo (you can't pick any. They specifically tell you from which event), a booklet with discounts (which we never received), a pass for the Aurea Spa (we actually received 4 since there were 4 family members in our stateroom), and a logo item (a blue baseball cap with the MSC logo).

These were all nice things, and I specially appreciated the discount and the passes to the spa. But I missed having embarkation or free laundry like on Carnival. Not complaining, just pointing out the things that I most enjoy about Carnival's Platinum status. [emoji3]

so, if i understand correctly, anyone who has a status level on msc must book a cruise at least every 36 months with msc to retain their status. very interesting and a good way to keep cruisers loyal to your cruise line. so, if you book with msc again within the 36 month time frame you'll still get msc gold, what if you make carnival black by then......would your msc status increase as well.

Edited by Computer Nerd

...what if you make carnival black by then......would your msc status increase as well.

I'm completely going to speculate here, but I'm going to say no. You can only apply for the loyalty match once and its not available to people who already have a status with MSC. So if I became Diamond with Carnival I don't believe that I could apply for the loyalty match a second time since I already applied for it once before and I now have a loyalty number with MSC.

I agree that the 36 month rule is a good way to keep people coming back, but it kinda sucks for people like me. I used to be very loyal to one cruise line until 6 years ago, but now I enjoy bouncing from one cruise line to another. I haven't repeated the same cruise line 2 times in a row since 2010. I don't think that I'll be back with MSC in the next 3 years. [emoji45]

I'm completely going to speculate here, but I'm going to say no. You can only apply for the loyalty match once and its not available to people who already have a status with MSC. So if I became Diamond with Carnival I don't believe that I could apply for the loyalty match a second time since I already applied for it once before and I now have a loyalty number with MSC.

I agree that the 36 month rule is a good way to keep people coming back, but it kinda sucks for people like me. I used to be very loyal to one cruise line until 6 years ago, but now I enjoy bouncing from one cruise line to another. I haven't repeated the same cruise line 2 times in a row since 2010. I don't think that I'll be back with MSC in the next 3 years. [emoji45]

at least you got to enjoy some nice benefits at least once. and who knows, maybe you'll book that next msc cruise at 2 years, 364 days. ;)

On our cruise on the Breeze out of Miami, we talked to several Canadians, a few Brits, a group from somewhere in South America (I forget where), and a very nice, large Chinese family. I remember remarking to DH how many more international people we saw on that cruise compared to others. I just assumed that since Miami was a bigger city that would be easier to fly into, and you can usually find cheaper fares out of Miami, that's why there were more passengers not from the U.S.

Now on our cruise out of Charleston, we had a joke going of how everyone on that ship was from SC, NC, or VA. Seriously, the furthest away of anyone I talked to was a family from Alabama. :rolleyes: But I'd imagine Charleston is not a popular place to fly into, and the fares tend to higher since they are catering to us within driving distance to the port. Just my two cents.