Changing from travel agent to self-booking

barbpretz

Interestingly enough for my up coming cruise I booked by myself and moved my reservation with A travel Agent After the fact. I got about $25 OBC pp from doing this. I figured it was nice to get that little extra. However, I got an offer from Princess shortly after and sent the info to the TA and waited about 1.5 days. After no response I made a call to princess and made another booking. Better room at about the same price. Since then I have focused on the booking I made and kept for my self. I have repriced it twice with Princess and saved an additional $500. My TA recently sent me a notice that the cruise itenerary changed about half a day after princess let me know. Right now I have a mini suite I booked and kept at a lower (or equal) price to the deluxe balcony I assigned to a TA. I just don't see the benefit of a TA at this point.

I have learned that I much prefer to be in control of my own booking and I will protect my money more than anyone else. Plus, for me half the fun is the planning. I will shortly be canceling my booking with the TA.

I don't know if this allowed but exactly what is a "Big Box" TA?

Think Large Club stores that you pay a yearly fee to belong to that offer other things such as tires, travel, auto savings, etc...

I like to be in control of my travel plans. I hate having to call a travel agent and having to wait for response. I deal directly with Princess. I monitor my bookings and have received significant price reductions. I doubt any travel agent would be willing to spend the time that I ( love to )spend reviewing and tweeking my plans!

Can anyone advise me as to what I could do to get "something" for using the TA I have now??

I suggest go through a big box travel booking company(Costco travel/expedia ect.) for obc. I've always gotten obc booking through them.

Also watch for the cruise line offering specials. They are usually limited time offers but can last for weeks at a time. Sometimes it's for free drinks for the whole cruise but they will vary. Just look on a semi regular basis and you will find them.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I'd say ur stuck if you have already booked through a TA. Sorry about that

Edited by bcoop8

Interestingly enough for my up coming cruise I booked by myself and moved my reservation with A travel Agent After the fact. I got about $25 OBC pp from doing this. I figured it was nice to get that little extra. However, I got an offer from Princess shortly after and sent the info to the TA and waited about 1.5 days. After no response I made a call to princess and made another booking. Better room at about the same price. Since then I have focused on the booking I made and kept for my self. I have repriced it twice with Princess and saved an additional $500. My TA recently sent me a notice that the cruise itenerary changed about half a day after princess let me know. Right now I have a mini suite I booked and kept at a lower (or equal) price to the deluxe balcony I assigned to a TA. I just don't see the benefit of a TA at this point.

I have learned that I much prefer to be in control of my own booking and I will protect my money more than anyone else. Plus, for me half the fun is the planning. I will shortly be canceling my booking with the TA.

So you now have the same cruise booked twice? Once by a TA and once through Princess on your own? Or did I misread something? I'd let my TA know immediately what you did, or I'd worry that you might end up with 2 cabins or zero cabins.

I've booked myself a few times, and I'm very good at it, but I found a wonderful TA a few years back, and she has worked very hard for and with me. Not just in price, but in upgrades, arranging the same cabin for several b2b trips, fantastic OBCs, getting me every reduction or perk that comes along, without my having to call her first, wonderful sailaway platters in the cabin, and the list goes on, including actually driving me to the airport and picking me up when I came back from my birthday cruise a couple years ago, at no charge. Heck, she even gave me a Princess gift card for Christmas this year! I'd be hard pressed to ditch her for 'control' over my booking. I have that already. And so does everyone, if they keep their eye on the booking.

I used a big company to book exactly once, because my sister was a member and the prices were pretty good. Well the prices might have been pretty fair, but the service was horrible. My assigned agent would fail to answer my calls or emails for a week or more, and the mistakes she made were unbelievable. If I hadn't advocated for the four of us, I think we would have stood by the dock, waving good-bye. Oh, less than a year later, that company went out of business, with no warning. I was overjoyed.

Maureen

So you now have the same cruise booked twice? Once by a TA and once through Princess on your own? Or did I misread something? I'd let my TA know immediately what you did, or I'd worry that you might end up with 2 cabins or zero cabins.

That is correct. I actually booked both direct, but originally moved one over to the TA. Service wasn't quick enough for me when I was trying to get the original room price adjusted and ended locking another one in at a better rate. With final payment coming up I will be canceling my TA one as I prefer to do things mysel and I have a better room at less cost. Sounds like you got very lucky with he TA you have found and used though.

I tried it and didn't like it.

Edited by spiceyxi

I originally booked all our cruises through a TA. The first two were through a brick and mortar TA and I did not like them. The second cruise they had convinced me to go on a HAL cruise which did not work out for us. We are definitely not HAL cruisers. For the next several years I booked through a TA who was responsive but offered no incentives and was sometimes hard to deal with. I finally got upset and had the next two cruises moved back to Princess. The TA sent me a nasty note when he found out which further sealed the deal. I have received much better response and interactions with the Princess rep and intend to stay with them.

I originally booked all our cruises through a TA. The first two were through a brick and mortar TA and I did not like them. The second cruise they had convinced me to go on a HAL cruise which did not work out for us. We are definitely not HAL cruisers. For the next several years I booked through a TA who was responsive but offered no incentives and was sometimes hard to deal with. I finally got upset and had the next two cruises moved back to Princess. The TA sent me a nasty note when he found out which further sealed the deal. I have received much better response and interactions with the Princess rep and intend to stay with them.

You got a nasty note from your TA when you moved the cruise back to Princess. I got a nasty note from my TA telling me they would rather not have my business because I am too "demanding" and she now wished to move my future cruise back to Princess. Demanding is defined as asking for a price drop or different cabin when the situation arose. I now advocate for myself and will only use a TA if I'm booking close to sale date at a price I know from past experience is as low as it will get. I also don't want a Princess rep assigned to me. I will deal with anyone or a supervisor if necessary. Yes, I want to save money but this method works for me, and it saves me a lot of aggravation and frustration when I want to make a change and can't!

You got a nasty note from your TA when you moved the cruise back to Princess. I got a nasty note from my TA telling me they would rather not have my business because I am too "demanding" and she now wished to move my future cruise back to Princess. Demanding is defined as asking for a price drop or different cabin when the situation arose. I now advocate for myself and will only use a TA if I'm booking close to sale date at a price I know from past experience is as low as it will get. I also don't want a Princess rep assigned to me. I will deal with anyone or a supervisor if necessary. Yes, I want to save money but this method works for me, and it saves me a lot of aggravation and frustration when I want to make a change and can't!

I said sale date not sail date. Very different time frame!