Will they let me bring sugar free ginger beer onboard?

Brittasbay

I have been on multiple cruises but never brought sodas aboard. Looking to go on The Dream in September 2016 and I was wanting to bring sugar free ginger beer on board this time around to go with my vodka I am ordering for my room ahead of time. They don't sell this brand in 12 packs, only 6 packs. So I have 2 questions:

1. Will they even let me bring it on since it says beer on it? It has no alcohol in it.

2. Can I carry two 6 packs or will that be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

depending on the port, you should be ok. some ports can be picky about these things. make sure it is a can, no bottle (plastic/glass)

carrying 2 6-pack is ok since its still under the limit per person

There is a good chance they are going to question you on it due to the name. But I assume it's like root beer right? Just point that out, tell them it's like root beer just ginger beer and non alcoholic. I'm sure they can read the can label and see. You may not be the first person to bring it through either. They should let you on with it after they realize it's not actual beer.

I am sure if it was just regular ginger beer you'd be ok, but since it's sugar free, that puts it over the top and they'll take it from you as they wag their finger and say tsk tsk.

(Disclaimer for those born without an ounce of a sense of humor: this post was entirely sarcastic.)

I have been on multiple cruises but never brought sodas aboard. Looking to go on The Dream in September 2016 and I was wanting to bring sugar free ginger beer on board this time around to go with my vodka I am ordering for my room ahead of time. They don't sell this brand in 12 packs, only 6 packs. So I have 2 questions:

1. Will they even let me bring it on since it says beer on it? It has no alcohol in it.

2. Can I carry two 6 packs or will that be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

It won't be an issue at all. I always take Barrett's Diet Ginger Beer in the light blue cans with me. Two six-packs. Not ever an issue. Have a fun cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Really? No alcohol? We have ginger beer and hard root beer here in San Diego and there is absolutely alcohol in them! Otherwise it would be gingerale which is soda.

Ginger Beer is a pretty well known non alcoholic drink. It is used with vodka to make Moscow Mules, and rum to make Dark and Stormy drinks.

i know there are alcoholic versions, but the non is what people usually get as a mixer.

I have never had an alcoholic ginger or root beer.

Really? No alcohol? We have ginger beer and hard root beer here in San Diego and there is absolutely alcohol in them! Otherwise it would be gingerale which is soda.

It's actually a pretty common soda sold in most grocery stores - even where I live where alcohol is not allowed to be sold in grocery stores. It's been around for years. Only very recently have they started making alcoholic versions. It is NOT ginger ale. It has a far stronger ginger flavor. Just because you've never noticed it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_beer

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by E&B

There is a good chance they are going to question you on it due to the name. But I assume it's like root beer right? Just point that out, tell them it's like root beer just ginger beer and non alcoholic. I'm sure they can read the can label and see. You may not be the first person to bring it through either. They should let you on with it after they realize it's not actual beer.

Well, I am not sure about this, if they are like the airport screeners.:D

Edited by Purvis1231

Wouldn't it be simpler to bring another brand? I've never heard of ginger beer.

Ginger beer is not the brand. It is a naturally sweetened and carbonated, and traditionaly non alcoholic beverage. It is produced by the natural fermentation of prepared ginger spice, yeast and sugar. Many companies (different brands) make ginger beer.

Interesting to read this as when I get drinks with ginger beer in them it has always been an alcoholic version.

Perhaps not on the ship but in other venues they always want to make sure I realize that it is alcohol.

One of our local breweries here in San Diego makes a really kick ass alcoholic root beer that is 7% alcohol!

It is just great!!

Wouldn't it be simpler to bring another brand? I've never heard of ginger beer.

I was hoping to use it to mix Moscow Mules in my room as I will have a bottle of vodka waiting on me :D Bartenders have always been nice and let me have some cut up limes to bring back to my room to mix a drink with.

Thanks everyone for the feedback as it makes me feel more comfortable with trying to bring it on. Usually screeners are so busy checking out my insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor that they may not spend much time on the cans lol!

Interesting to read this as when I get drinks with ginger beer in them it has always been an alcoholic version.

Perhaps not on the ship but in other venues they always want to make sure I realize that it is alcohol.

One of our local breweries here in San Diego makes a really kick ass alcoholic root beer that is 7% alcohol!

It is just great!!

I would be interested to know what drink you are ordering and from where. I'm originally from SD and my daughter lives there. I was just there, but going down again in Sept. I would like to taste an alcoholic one.