Regent more like 3* than 6

You're either not referring to Regent then or haven't sailed on them in a long time. Either way you're factually incorrect. Regent now (and for a number of years) has had a class system based on suite choice.

This is much less true today than 5-6 years ago. Back when there were annual World Cruise (1999-2010), when Captain Dag was still around, there was a group of people who regularly sailed and occupied (and competed to get) the top suites. This "Elite" group mostly keep to themselves and they were certainly treated differently than the rest of the passenger, particularly if you were a segmenter.

When Capt Dag left during the middle of the 2010 World Cruise on the Voyager, in Cape Town and when Regent stopped the World Cruise that group more less moved on.

Now, the top suites still get special treatment. But is is much less obvious than it was. And their special treatment is as it should be. You pay twice as much or more for the Master Suite, you are booking 3+ B2B's; you should get more.

j

JM, Once again you and I are on the same page: pay more, get more. I don't know where EMP NOR is coming from. I suppose he feels that if you buy a Mercedes v a Versa that you should not get a better car because that would be a class system. IMO everyone makes decisions based on what they can afford.

I sure don't own a Rolls Royce, I can't afford it.

I keep coming back to this thread to see if some additional information has been posted that would support the title of the thread. The only thing I read from the OP is that his Dover Sole was too small, there wasnt caviar every day, that the current staff doesnt smile as much as the Filipino staff, and that service on decks wasnt as good as it should be. Have I missed something? Of the things he cites , the only one that gives me pause is poor service on deck, but based on my prior experiences (none recent) that was always spotty.

I'm no Regent apologist, but it seems to me the title of this thread is a bit draconian. I hate it when people do this kind of hit and run commentary and then dont come back to update. Hopefully they're having too much of a good time to be concerned with minor things.

Well I was on the same crossing mentioned earlier across the Atlantic before re-fit. The moving of the furniture on the last night from the pool deck wasn't great, but this was happening from around 5pm, if you wanted a lounger you could keep one. Service wise, it was fine, if I wanted a drink on the pool deck and the crew were occupied, guess what I'm still young enough to walk the 20 yards to the bar. Guess people have different standards.

We have done many Radisson and Regent cruises over the years, but none for about 5 years or more, and are apparently 'Gold' members. In the meantime we have cruised other inclusive luxury lines, so can make a comparison. Last summer we cruised on Mariner, and reported here that we felt that the standard had gone down considerably since our last Regent cruise, and did not compare well with the other lines. The main problems were the Veranda cafe buffet and lunch not being refilled and tidied up by staff, and the fact that, to our minds, the actual quality of the staff had gone down considerably. I am not sure if there were not enough of them, but the general efficiency and friendliness of both the general wait staff and their supervisors was most definitely worse than 5 years ago and than other similar lines.

No doubt if you only travel Regent, and get to know staff, this will make a difference, but if you have not cruised with other lines you cannot say for sure that Regent is still a 5 or 6 star experience by comparison. Though I think saying 3 star is a bit unfair.

I will end by being nice about something - we had 2 dinners in Signatures and they were excellent, and a couple in Sette Mari, which were also very good. In fact the contrast with the rest of the dining experience was strange and quite marked.

Each to their own & all that but this has to be a wind up. I can't believe anyone can get that worked up about coffee! ;)

Breakfast coffee is, generally, heavy going but after an evening meal it is usually more palatable - in any hotel & on board any ship in my personal experience. I wouldn't start concerning myself with which type of beans they use. If I don't like it, I'd drink something else.

On Mariner last year there was nothing wrong with any of the coffee that I drank, either in suite or in the restaurants. In fact I'd say it was extremely palatable. It all tasted rather like........coffee tbh. Admittedly, I usually drink the tea in coffee connections but there you go. Of course, I am from the UK and we are probably more exposed to the freeze dried instant stuff, maybe?

"Coffee snobs" - great expression. :)

I keep coming back to this thread to see if some additional information has been posted that would support the title of the thread. The only thing I read from the OP is that his Dover Sole was too small, there wasnt caviar every day, that the current staff doesnt smile as much as the Filipino staff, and that service on decks wasnt as good as it should be. Have I missed something? Of the things he cites , the only one that gives me pause is poor service on deck, but based on my prior experiences (none recent) that was always spotty.

I'm no Regent apologist, but it seems to me the title of this thread is a bit draconian. I hate it when people do this kind of hit and run commentary and then dont come back to update. Hopefully they're having too much of a good time to be concerned with minor things.

I am still here, but slow internet leaves me reluctant to post much.

Service on open deck has improved dramatically and GM thanked me for my comments.

Last night we had dinner with the captain, an interesting experience. His water was from a bottle and hours from a jug. I asked why and was told we should all be given a choice.

Many people seem unaware that they can have liquor in their suite. It is not mentioned anywhere obvious. There is much confusion about the free internet and the guest services staff seem unable to answer simple questions.

I love having takeaway coffee, but on this ship it is only available in cups and saucers.

We have concluded that we are unlikely to cruise Regent again, as our general experience is much lower than those on Seabourn.

One definite plus is strawberries for breakfast.

For me, the buffet area is too small and no evening buffet is a big minus. The pool deck is too crowded and access to the pool is difficult for those less agile.

The officers keep themselves hidden so very little interaction.

Clearly opinion can be ver subjective. We all pay large sums to cruise and are entitled to pretty much what we desire, within reason.

I would say my cruise experience has been 4*, but as always we have had a great holiday.

<We have concluded that we are unlikely to cruise Regent again, as our general experience is much lower than those on Seabourn.>

It's been interesting to read of your experiences here, English Tim, and to get an insight to the wide variety of priorities cruise companies have to consider when setting out their offer. For me, coffee is no big deal. I can't say that the coffee (or the tea, for that matter) away from home is ever spot on, exactly as I prefer. For that matter, the quality varies at home as well, so I'd better not say too much ;-) One thing I have learned when sailing on a Regent ship, however, is that I can always ask for something different - I'm a San Pellegrino girl when it comes to water at dinner/lunch, and within a short time of boarding, I generally find I no longer have to ask for it because someone, somewhere has noted my preference. Again, no big deal - I can always ask.

Personally, I have a dislike of dinner buffets and of drinking from disposable cups, much preferring table service and proper china. For me, that is indicative of a higher level of service but as you say, opinion is subjective. We are indeed lucky to have a choice and finding the brand/range of options which suit us best is a challenge.

<We all pay large sums to cruise and are entitled to pretty much what we desire, within reason.>

I agree, we do indeed pay a great deal for our luxury cruises, which makes it all the more important to know what we are buying into. Thankfully, we think we have found the product that seems to suit us best. It sounds as though you have done, too - it's just that it's a different one from us!

<We have concluded that we are unlikely to cruise Regent again, as our general experience is much lower than those on Seabourn.>

It's been interesting to read of your experiences here, English Tim, and to get an insight to the wide variety of priorities cruise companies have to consider when setting out their offer. For me, coffee is no big deal. I can't say that the coffee (or the tea, for that matter) away from home is ever spot on, exactly as I prefer. For that matter, the quality varies at home as well, so I'd better not say too much ;-) One thing I have learned when sailing on a Regent ship, however, is that I can always ask for something different - I'm a San Pellegrino girl when it comes to water at dinner/lunch, and within a short time of boarding, I generally find I no longer have to ask for it because someone, somewhere has noted my preference. Again, no big deal - I can always ask.

Personally, I have a dislike of dinner buffets and of drinking from disposable cups, much preferring table service and proper china. For me, that is indicative of a higher level of service but as you say, opinion is subjective. We are indeed lucky to have a choice and finding the brand/range of options which suit us best is a challenge.

<We all pay large sums to cruise and are entitled to pretty much what we desire, within reason.>

I agree, we do indeed pay a great deal for our luxury cruises, which makes it all the more important to know what we are buying into. Thankfully, we think we have found the product that seems to suit us best. It sounds as though you have done, too - it's just that it's a different one from us!

:):):)

As an aside, twice this cruise I have asked for a bucket of ice to chill the supplied Champagne. Twice they have failed. Unacceptable from any service industry.

<As an aside, twice this cruise I have asked for a bucket of ice to chill the supplied Champagne. Twice they have failed. Unacceptable from any service industry>

I quite agree.

As an aside, twice this cruise I have asked for a bucket of ice to chill the supplied Champagne. Twice they have failed. Unacceptable from any service industry.

I agree that this is unacceptable. Why didn't you tell someone? If the head Stewardess (or butler) is not available, you could go directly to the G.M.'s office. This kind of thing should not happen but since it did, if you reported it, it would have be fixed immediately and, most importantly, would not happen again. I always remember what a G.M. told me several years ago....... don't wait until you get off of the ship to complain because it is too late to do anything. If you tell them on board, they can solve the issue.

So, is this ice in addition to the ice bucket in the fridge? Your steward might have thought he/she fulfilled your request. Additional buckets may need to be ordered from room service. Just a thought.

ET, Oh my no ice. What a disaster; to me this explains your problem, talk nicely with your server and you will ALWAYS get what you want. We have been on several Regent cruises and I ask for wine to be served in an ice bucket; never a problem; we ask for extra gravy, salad dressing or sauce; never a problem. Approach to me is so important, command bad idea; discuss and request, results as hoped for.

Patience is also helpful.

No vacation and for that matter no cruise is going to be flawless. Sorry, but true.

I just spent last memorial day weekend in a 5 star resort in a very large oceanfront suite. I am a gold member of their reward program as well.

There were multiple things that went wrong. A couple of them we talked to the mgmt about and they were corrected. The others I prefer not to "sweat the small stuff".

Everyone has differing expectations and tolerance for issues that may go "wrong"

For me, I would address the 2 requests for an ice bucket for the champagne.

The size of the fish fillet, now that is even below my definition of small stuff.

So, is this ice in addition to the ice bucket in the fridge? Your steward might have thought he/she fulfilled your request. Additional buckets may need to be ordered from room service. Just a thought.

Good point, but the empty bucket and bottle were on the table. I filled it myself at the bar, so no worries.

I have been asked for my follow up, which I have given and whilst I realise that some of you think Regent are perfect, I can assure you they are not.

In 2012, we had a wonderful cruise on Voyager. This year we had another wonderful cruise, but due some vitriolic and sarcastic replies, I shall be leaving this thread to all you jolly back-slappers.

Some of you really must learn to accept that not all comment will be pro Regent. This is meant to be an open forum.

So sorry, English Tim. The Internet seems to allow people to respond in ways they never would face to face. I remember after a trip to Amsterdam, I posted on trip advisor without realizing that the resident experts were VERY defensive and argumentative. I only posted my experience and the aftermath felt like a hazing. I pulled the post and never went back.

Personally, I love regent but no cruise (or cruise line) is ever perfect. I have found that when I bring issues to their attention in a nice way, they do everything they can to make it right.

Take care and safe passage in the future!

Agree forgap. IMO, much of this thread has been quite snarky. I do think that English Tim should let someone in management know about this lack of service because if no one says anything, it might continue to happen (hopefully not).

At 3:00 p.m., when he called Room Service, most of the stewards, stewardesses and butlers are on break (which is not an excuse as there are crew members assigned for the afternoon hours every day). I'm writing this paragraph only to let others know that things on Regent on a bit slower in the afternoon. When most passengers are ashore, so are a great many of the crew.

Sorry that the experience both onboard and on this thread were not as expected.

I have been asked for my follow up, which I have given and whilst I realise that some of you think Regent are perfect, I can assure you they are not.

In 2012, we had a wonderful cruise on Voyager. This year we had another wonderful cruise, but due some vitriolic and sarcastic replies, I shall be leaving this thread to all you jolly back-slappers.

Some of you really must learn to accept that not all comment will be pro Regent. This is meant to be an open forum.

I don't know why some posters have so much of a problem with criticism of Regent on this board that they have to make fun of or belittle people who post about problems. There is a tendency by some to take criticism out of context, jump to their own conclusions, and then base acerbic responses or lectures on their own fantasies of things the the OP never said, never did, or even thought of.

This board is of value only if it has a spectrum of views that can be expressed without people feeling intimidated or attacked.

Thanks for posting, English Tim. I hope you will continue to post.

DH and I have significant days on Seabourn but this December we are taking our 1st Regent cruise on Navigator because of the itinerary, we haven't cruised on Seabourn for nearly 18 months because their unchanging itineraries.

On our 1st SB cruise we had to learn the nuances of the ship and crew and we expect to do the same with Regent - we always ask, we never order and always appreciate the hard work by the crew.

Our last 2 trips have been 5 weeks on land in Mexico/Cuba and 2 months on land in India for photography so if we can survive the dirt and dust of sleeping in a tent at a camel fair and eating grasshoppers in Mexico I can assure you that an unfilled ice bucket will not phase us at all.

Looking forward to another new experience

Jean

Because I have travelled with several lines, i.e. Silversea, Seabourn and Regent, I do read the threads on each with interest.

I have to say that I find the Regent fans much more likely to be dismissive and sometimes positively rude about adverse comments on Regent than you ever see from the devotees of Silversea or Seabourn.

There are some very good points being made on this post about allowing the "crew" to put things right.

Personally I think its about your expectations. Regent (and others) are eager to puff their chests out about just how good they are and they price themselves accordingly, it could be said that they are reassuringly expensive. As such ones level of expectation is going to be high and it is no wonder that some people are annoyed by things that they simply did not expect to happen.

I have yet to take a vacation, at any cost, that did not have the odd niggle. I don't consider myself unlucky just realistic. Stuff happens!

Getting back to the OP, my limited experience of Regent is that it certainly is never 3* but yes, on occasion, it might get a few things wrong over the cruise. Like many people here, I suspect, I choose to quickly deal with or ignore the small stuff so that I can spend more time reflecting on just how fortunate I am to be able to enjoy all the great stuff.

I'll get me coat. :cool:

Edited by Pigin

I don't think anyone has posted, or implied, that Regent is perfect

You are entitled to your opinions and have every right to complain about poor service.............but downgrading the cruise-line to 3* early in your cruise does appear overly harsh and obviously surprised other posters, including those recently cruising on the same ship

You were obviously not impressed with your recent Regent experience, despite having a wonderful cruise. I therefore sincerely hope you enjoy your future Seabourn cruises much more and that they continue to fulfil your expectations

Edited by flossie009
minor edit