Church bay beach

mintsugarcube

After reading a couple of reviews here saying snorkeling at elbow beach wasn't that great (fish wise), we are rethinking... To those of you who have been to church bay... Are there more fish there? What is your opinion on elbow vs church for snorkeling?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading a couple of reviews here saying snorkeling at elbow beach wasn't that great (fish wise), we are rethinking... To those of you who have been to church bay... Are there more fish there? What is your opinion on elbow vs church for snorkeling?

Thanks!

It is supposed to have great snorkeling. The day I went the waves were too rough so I gave up. Didn't even try as I was by myself. You have to walk down a bunch of stairs to get to the beach. You mentioned some mobility issues in the other post. Also there won't be taxis to pick you up in the park above. You will have to return by bus.

Edited by Charles4515

Wow really biker@sea. I've lived 5 min walk away from Church Bay for 32 years... It's a beach. When it's rough the sand washes out... Like most south shore beaches as they are natural. Those rocks are what attract the fish. North side of island is always going to be better for snorkeling if swimming from shore... Best place.. Gibbet's Bay outside Flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We snorkeled Church Bay a few years ago. We felt the snorkeling was better at Church Bay but you had to work much harder than at Tobacco Bay or Warwick. We are strong swimmers but the waves gave us a run for our money especially when we snorkeled close to the rocks. Make sure you have fins and snorkel/scuba socks. The entrance is very rocky so we wore our thick snorkel socks until we got out deep enough to put our fins on.

The only people we met there brought small kids to swim. Bad idea. And we ended up dressing their foot wounds since they were not wearing aqua socks. As long as you are aware of and plan for the beach/wavy conditions, you will be fine! Sorry cannot comment on snorkeling at Elbow.

Have fun!

Lauri

Wow really biker@sea. I've lived 5 min walk away from Church Bay for 32 years... It's a beach. When it's rough the sand washes out... Like most south shore beaches as they are natural. Those rocks are what attract the fish. North side of island is always going to be better for snorkeling if swimming from shore... Best place.. Gibbet's Bay outside Flats.

I agree, it's not a big beach but one can't say there is no beach. Tobacco Bay is not much bigger, if at all. Not sure how walking DOWN the steps is difficult, maybe back up, but not down.

I happen to really like Church Bay and it's never been crowded when we were there. That being said, it can and does get rough so not the best for snorkeling.

REally!

With OP's Mobility Issues Church bay is a bad choice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2360876

We loved church bay 2 years ago. It was a lovely beach and very private. We did not snorkel, but saw several in the water for a long time and saw fish easily from just swimming a bit.

14216601660_78d9510e73_k.jpg

Here is a pic of the stairs. Steep but affording breathtaking views. There are actually a couple of snorkelers you can see in this pic if you look closely enough.

14402091054_0868b4f765_k.jpg

14380025176_4a5ef7e46a_k.jpg

Definitely a beach.

Just got back from a weeks stay in St. George. Been to Bermuda 8 times. Been to many beaches and snorkeled most. That being said, imho, Church Bay is WAY better than Tobacco Bay for snorkeling, scenery, and yes, even beach. The beach at Tobacco is small and not flat. (Church Bay is small but flat)

That being said, everything is at your fingertips at Tobacco, bathrooms, bar, restaurant, tables and chairs, lounge chair and snorkeling rental, and loud music. None of that is available at Church Bay. But for pure snorkeling, Church Bay is the best. Tobacco bay is not much better than Horseshoe for snorkeling, imho.

Thanks!

I live near Elbow Beach. Any of the South Shore beaches will require navigating a few steps, except for Horseshoe. Church Bay is a challenging place to snorkel, simply because of the topography which tends to be a bit steeper and the waves a little rougher. Elbow is an easy snorkel, but you do have to go out a ways. Mid way between the start of the coral reefs and the outer reef line is fine. Too close to the beach and you won't see many fish.

The currents generally flow west to east, so enter the water to the west and let the currents take you along the beach to the east end for a nearly effortless experience. The currents are slow and gentle but if you start at the wrong end you'll be swimming against them for the duration. Much easier to swim with them.

• 2 weeks later...
North side of island is always going to be better for snorkeling if swimming from shore... Best place.. Gibbet's Bay outside Flats.

Coli,

I'll be cruising to Bermuda for the first time in August. My 19 year old niece has never been snorkeling before and I told her I'd take her. My 50 year old husband will also be joining us. He's a very poor swimmer and needs a hip replacement. What would be the best spot to accommodate both of them. Facilities/entertainment nearby would be a plus, but not necessary.

Come to think of it, we have our own equipment, but I'm sure she doesn't so that's also a factor.

I was thinking snorkeling from shore, but if there's a better option via boat, I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by Slam308

Agree. Tobacco Bay would be the best option.

I also agree. Tobacco. I was there last week and can't think of a better place in Bermuda for beginners or those who are not great swimmers to snorkel. The water is shallow (you can see in my picture below people standing in the shallow water, snorkeling is around the rocks) and while it may not have the most fish and coral there are plenty of fish and some coral. Also there are facilities, rest rooms and showers, food and beverage and chair rentals. They do rent snorkel gear.

db02b9a367150780408aabe9e4498ce5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious. I was at Tobacco Bay two years ago and I found it to be a bit dirty...garbage and receipts from the concessions on the beach and in the water, stuff like that.

Wondering if they have cleaned it up at all or if I just happened to visit on a bad day.

Just curious. I was at Tobacco Bay two years ago and I found it to be a bit dirty...garbage and receipts from the concessions on the beach and in the water, stuff like that.

Wondering if they have cleaned it up at all or if I just happened to visit on a bad day.

It has never been sparkling clean any of the bunch of times I was there but it was okay when I was there a few weeks ago. I have been there when I thought it was a bit dirty. So I guess it varies. I don't care all that much for Tobacco as a beach. I go there primarily to snorkel. For lounging on the beach to enjoy the ocean, and ocean view, or swimming in the ocean the South Shore beaches are the place to go. Horseshoe, Elbow, Warwick Long Bay, and John Smith's Bay.

It has never been sparkling clean any of the bunch of times I was there but it was okay when I was there a few weeks ago. I have been there when I thought it was a bit dirty. So I guess it varies. I don't care all that much for Tobacco as a beach. I go there primarily to snorkel. For lounging on the beach to enjoy the ocean, and ocean view, or swimming in the ocean the South Shore beaches are the place to go. Horseshoe, Elbow, Warwick Long Bay, and John Smith's Bay.

Last year we went all the way out to Clearwater Beach / Turtle Bay. It's a trek via cab since it's all the way out by the airport, but it was great being among only a handful of people on the beach (mix of a few tourists and locals).

Saw a few sea turtles while snorkeling, which was great, and there's also a nature preserve along with remains of an old NASA buildings that they used to use for tracking space shuttle flights.