Avalon - no compassion

stancar

It is appalling especially since the company has plenty of time to fill the cabin and will no doubt have no loss of business but will double dip...certainly on the deposit amount. We had a similar incident a couple of years ago with Oceania where my husband was cleared for travel after developing ulcers but there was a prescription error that gave him stroke-like symptoms. It was a terrible year with ill parents etc. We were going to pay insurance at final payment but when contacted for the cc number I was in the midst of more serious family health issues. Needless to say we did not have the insurance in place that we should have. I did pursue the matter up to CEO Frank del Del Rio and sent a letter to both him and the second in command by FedEx twice. We did not receive a response from either...not even a voucher for a cheap bottle of wine on a future cruise for our many thousands of dollars. Like you, we did not want a refund...just a credit for the future. To make matters worse a TA friend confirmed that the stateroom was resold....so they double-dipped on the same cabin for a 26 day cruise. You can tell the strength of a company by the way they handle serious passenger issues. Needless to say we do not recommend Oceania/Regent!!! The most important thing is that your wife becomes well again. There are other companies out there that will treat you better.

Itmwas a terrible year with ill parents etc. We were going to pay insurance at final payment but when contacted for the cc number I was in the midst of more serious family health issues.

Whilst I have every sympathy with the poor people who become too ill to travel, if you don't buy insurance then why should the cruise companies refund you or even move your dates? When you book a cruise you know the terms and conditions so its not a surprise. It's one of the reasons people are advised to buy insurance. With a number of ill family members insurance is even more critical.

We always buy insurance and have only needed it a couple of times over a period of 20 years, but that's the way insurance works. Win some, you lose some. Why should anyone buy insurance if the cruise line is willing to offer a refund or change of dates? Surely that's not fair on the rest of us that take the time and trouble to buy insurance?

If you choose NOT to buy insurance then why expect the cruise line to pick up the pieces?

Edited by ellie1145

Expensive lesson! Waiting until final pmt can be very costly.

As to cabin being sold twice, maybe, but more likely someone was simply upgraded into that cabin.

You agree to the terms when you book. Makes no difference if it's Viking, AMA, Avalon, Regent or Carnival. No one plans to get ill or have a car accident. Life happens and that's why every travel vendor offers some type of Travel Insurance.

Don't purchase TI at your own risk. Sorry while I'm sorry you or a loved one is horribly I'll, you made a choice to not purchase protection for a very expensive vacation!

I always purchase it and frankly I'm am pissed off when I see people whining and talking about "greedy, no compassion, no empathy" and other terms I've read on this thread. Your issue is not any more special than mine and I just paid over $700 to protect my next trip. I purchase to protect against any Unknown preexisting medical issues and cancel for any reason. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Callous might be the wrong word. I would write the letter and "artfully" beg for an exception and acknowledge you understand it's a huge break from policy.

If you will never do business with them again or call them names like "callous" why should they even want to make an exception for you?...]

Well presented.

Simple logic.

This all has nothing to do with compassion, but the rules.

Well presented.

Simple logic.

This all has nothing to do with compassion, but the rules.

Thank you Gary! This is a very tired and devicive subject that goes on and on by folks who simply gamble and lose.

On a nicer note I see you are sailing on my birthday Oct 20th!! :) I'm betting that must be a good omen and you will have a fabulous time.

It was Delta and it was in coach. Had to have surgery and got a credit for a future flight. I did not buy insurance. I'm not going to eat the loss without attempting to get a credit.That would be stupid. I buy insurance 99% of the time but the one time I didn't it was nice to get the credit.

Even on nonrefundale ticket airlines will give a credit minus a change fee that must be used within one year of the original ticket purchase date. It usually has some other restrictions as well.

Even on nonrefundale ticket airlines will give a credit minus a change fee that must be used within one year of the original ticket purchase date. It usually has some other restrictions as well.

And those non refundable fare rules allow for that credit. Sadly the rules for nearly every cruise line I can think of does NOT allow for this and it is NOT in their fare rules. I don't care if it's Princess, Carnival, AMA or Viking. You have 3 choices with the cruise companies, "use it, lose it or buy TI".

Once the Cruiseline add credits and change fees no problem but you agree to the terms when you book the cruise and make your deposit.

And those non refundable fare rules allow for that credit. Sadly the rules for nearly every cruise line I can think of does NOT allow for this and it is NOT in their fare rules. I don't care if it's Princess, Carnival, AMA or Viking. You have 3 choices with the cruise companies, "use it, lose it or buy TI".

Once the Cruiseline add credits and change fees no problem but you agree to the terms when you book the cruise and make your deposit.

Did not say anything about what cruise lines do or do not do in this post. Only commenting what the person said about getting a credit on an airline when he was sick.

My views on compliance with contractual agreements and corporate policies are rather clear from my earlier posts in this stream.

Did not say anything about what cruise lines do or do not do in this post. Only commenting what the person said about getting a credit on an airline when he was sick.

My views on compliance with contractual agreements and corporate policies are rather clear from my earlier posts in this stream.

Here come the thought police again.

I'm not a lawyer. Just wondering.

Can the parties to a contract agree, at a later date, to modify their contract?

Not a lawyer either but I watch "Good Wife" ;)

Both parties can agree to what ever they want to agree to!

Then it seems that the "rules" regarding refunds are negotiable . . .

I'm not sure that seeking to vary the terms of a contract at the point where you wish to terminate it puts you in much of a position to 'negotiate' :)

All that has ever been said in this thread is that as the party triggering the termination clauses, you are perfectly free to ask to be relieved of your obligation, but you should not characterize the other party in a negative way if they do not agree.

Insurance avoids having to ask for a dispensation, and having to deal with the consequences of that request not being granted, so it is generally a good thing.

Only if both parties agree, but don't count on it and just in case buy Travel Insurance that meets all your needs :)

I'm not sure that seeking to vary the terms of a contract at the point where you wish to terminate it puts you in much of a position to 'negotiate' :)

All that has ever been said in this thread is that as the party triggering the termination clauses, you are perfectly free to ask to be relieved of your obligation, but you should not characterize the other party in a negative way if they do not agree.

Insurance avoids having to ask for a dispensation, and having to deal with the consequences of that request not being granted, so it is generally a good thing.

Oh, I don't disagree with these posts.

But, I certainly do not agree with the position some posts took that a company cutting a passenger a break, or not strictly enforcing "the rules" is somehow unfair to its other customers.

And, I routinely buy travel insurance when I have significant non refundable costs in a trip.

Callous might be the wrong word. I would write the letter and "artfully" beg for an exception and acknowledge you understand it's a huge break from policy.

If you will never do business with them again or call them names like "callous" why should they even want to make an exception for you?

This post reads like you do advocate for a company giving an exception as long as you beg them in a tactful letter.

This post reads like you do advocate for a company giving an exception as long as you beg them in a tactful letter.

I think you can always politely ask for an exception to the rules in any situation.

However, coming to social media and accusing various companies of greed. Call them ugly names and saying you will never do business with them again is certainly not the way to get anyone to help you.

Life does happen and often it is unfair and heart breaking. When booking expensive travel the most important thing you can do is protect yourself the best you can with Travel Insurance. It is offered on every package, by every travel provider and by every travel agent.

Everyone's personal situation is different. I can't afford to lose a $5000 trip or a $10,000 trip, so within 14 days of booking my trip I spend a few $100's and purchase coverage. Life happens!

Now what was your point? Oh yes, if you have a problem or situation you can of course ask politely for an exception if the need arises. Doesn't mean they will say yes but it does not hurt to ask! :)

I think you can always politely ask for an exception to the rules in any situation.

However, coming to social media and accusing various companies of greed. Call them ugly names and saying you will never do business with them again is certainly not the way to get anyone to help you.

Life does happen and often it is unfair and heart breaking. When booking expensive travel the most important thing you can do is protect yourself the best you can with Travel Insurance. It is offered on every package, by every travel provider and by every travel agent.

Everyone's personal situation is different. I can't afford to lose a $5000 trip or a $10,000 trip, so within 14 days of booking my trip I spend a few $100's and purchase coverage. Life happens!

Now what was your point? Oh yes, if you have a problem or situation you can of course ask politely for an exception if the need arises. Doesn't mean they will say yes but it does not hurt to ask! :)

Good advice and I agree that a respectful and polite request when you want someone to do something they might not want to do is better than a demand or a threat.