Mid- 20s And Cruising for the 1st time on Celebrity

samantha24

Regarding tipping, there is a recommended amount that is automatically added to your daily SeaPass account. This will cover your dining room staff and stateroom attendants and is all regarding amount and who it is intended for that is required of you. At your discretion you can always tip more to these individuals and if you do so, it is usually most appreciated as a cash gratuity, frequently presented at the end of the cruise. The link at the bottom will describe this in more detail for you.

Any purchased drinks on board will also have an 18% gratuity automatically added to the bill. Additional amounts would again be at your option, but not required.

As to Bermuda, with overnight stays your ship is your hotel and you can come and go as you wish 24 hours a day. Bermuda is very safe and offers some of the nicest beaches in the world - Horseshoe Bay being among the nicest and only a 20 - 25 minute bus ride from the ship. One and two day buss / ferry passes can be purchased at the pier and this transit system will allow you access to any part of the island you wish to visit.

You can also use taxis and other private services at an a higher rate or you can rent mopeds. But there are no rental cars available on Bermuda. A strong word of caution regarding mopeds - you drive on the opposite side of the road and if the roads are wet they become very slippery due to the coral dust that can be on the roads. We have seen several very nasty wipe outs in our times there.

Bermuda is a beautiful island and one of our favorites. I'm sure you will enjoy it as well. Look on line or on CC for the Bermuda port of call boards for more information regarding things to do there - all of which can be done on your own. The second link is to the CC Bermuda port of call board.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq551

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Edited by leaveitallbehind

A guidebook is the best way to 'get to know' your destination! Libraries have guidebooks!

Yes..tips are charged to your account, unless you opt to pay them in advance. Your cruise brochure has the suggested amounts...and if you pay that, YOU ARE DONE! No other tipping is required. Any drink you buy will have 18% added to the cost to cover the tip. If you purchase a "drink package", 18% is added to the cost....so again...you're done!

Hi Samantha.....The Summit is a beautiful ship and Bermuda is one of our favorite places.

1. When exiting the ship, you will see where you can purchase bus/ferry passes.

2. The ferry will take you into Hamilton. This is where there are many shops/bars/restaurants/historic buildings...etc. About a 20 minute ferry ride. When you dock, make sure you look on the pier for the times that the ferries go back to port.

3. Take the bus to Horseshoe Beach. One of the most beautiful beaches in the world. When you are ready to go back to the port, you just stand at the bus stop. A bus will pass every 15 minutes or so.

4. On your "overnight"....walk to the end of the pier if you want to go to a party. It starts at 10 or 11pm...at SNORKEL PARK. You will see the signs. MANY of the employees from the ship attend. Music, dancing, drinks...right on the beach. My sons and their wives have a blast.

You cannot get lost in Bermuda. Such an easy Island to navigate and always a bus going by. DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA.:):):):)

Edited by champagne123
vvvvvv

My boyfriend and I are going on Summit July 31st. We have never cruised with Celebrity and didn't know if people can give us pointers on tipping, and the best way we can use our time in Bermuda?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of suggestions.

Join your roll call.

Visit the Bermuda Port of Call Board. Absolute must, tons of great info there.

Spend some time on the Celebrity Board to get a good idea about the cruise line itself.

Thank you so much! We got a 300 dollar on board credit. Can we use that towards our tips, or no?

Does anyone know if we have to book a time for dinner in the main dining hall also?

If the OP has Select dining, which I am presuming based on their query about booking dinner reservations, do they not have to pay their tips in advance--meaning they cannot use their OBC?

If the OP has Select dining, which I am presuming based on their query about booking dinner reservations, do they not have to pay their tips in advance--meaning they cannot use their OBC?

Correct. As mentioned previously (post #8), anything prepaid - which would include prepaid gratuities - cannot be applied to their OBC.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Samantha, do you know if you have traditional dining, where you're assigned a table and dining time, or are you in Select Dining where you dine at any time you wish? If you're Select, your tips are pre paid.

You can stay off the ship for as long as you want, but be aware of the ferry schedule that will bring you back to the ship from Hamilton. When we were there last summer, the last ferry was at 9pm.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know, would it say it on my reservation slip?

You should have a reservation number that you can use to look online for your information. You'll want to go there soon anyway to fill out your pre-boarding information and to print off copies of the signature page on which credit card or debit you'll use for onboard payments. Just go to the Celebrity web site and click on already booked.

As far as tips go other than any for the select dining option it is up to you. We always give anyone delivering room service a few dollars as they are not normally your room attendent or dining room servers. We often have laundry or dry cleaning done and a special request to keep two bottles of water supplied every day so we tip extra at the end of the cruise for an attendent that goes beyond all the work they normally do. If you have a waiter watching out for a food allergy I would tip him extra at the end of the cruise. So, for room service tip at the time. Any extra to the normal tips just put what you think is appropriate in the envelopes normally in your room and give them out after the last set dinner with a hand shake and thank you. That night or the next morning the same goes for your room crew.

Have a great first cruise and remember your passports!