Cruise Ship Plows into Ketchikan dock!

Working 2 Cruise

Hi All

Ships captains should safe this video, and every time some passenger

complains about missing a port, or says another ship made it in they should

show this,

yours Shogun

If it was just a few $million in damage, then there must not have been much damage done.

From the video I've seen, the damage is mainly to the catwalk between the dolphins. There may be some damage to the dolphin itself, hard to tell from the phone video. If it is just the catwalk, then they may continue to use the dock, as the line handlers can be taken to the dolphins by boat (there are ladders to the water).

As to the ship, there is a visible dent, and nothing visible indicates anything that would make the ship "unseaworthy", which is why the USCG cleared the ship to continue. That dent doesn't look like it seriously affected framing behind it, it isn't a real sharp crease, so it will be painted and not repaired until a scheduled drydocking, if then.

The pilot is on the bridge as an adviser. The captain is always in charge of and responsible for the ship. Therefore it was the captain's responsibility to not crash the ship. However accidents do happen and winds do come up unexpectedly. Until we get more facts it may be an unavoidable accident due to sudden weather or one that could have been anticipated and avoided.

BTW Ketchikan is where they were going to build the "bridge to nowhere". Actually it was to be a bridge to the island where the airport is located. Now they have to take a ferry to get a flight and they have no roads out of the city.

With the exception of the Panama Canal. There, the pilots assume full control of the ship.

With the exception of the Panama Canal. There, the pilots assume full control of the ship.

Again, there is a bit of confusion over "control" and "responsibility". The pilot will not be touching the controls of the ship, even when in the Panama Canal. He will generally be given the "conn" or the ability to give commands to the ship's crew, who will control the ship, whether this is the bridge officers and helmsman, or the Captain/Staff Captain, depending on where in the docking evolution they are. If the Pilot has the conn, the Captain retains responsibility for the ship, just as when his junior officers "have the conn" when the ship is at sea.

In the Canal, the Captain still has the ability to countermand a Canal Pilot's orders, but if he does so, the ship will be detained and an inquiry conducted, whether there was any damage done or not.

The one area where the Captain relinquishes full responsibility for the ship is when the bow crosses the sill of a drydock, at which time the docking master has both control and responsibility, and the shipyard essentially "owns" the ship.

The best description of the Master/Pilot relationship was written by a US Columbia Bar Pilot. It is a balance of "power" and "authority". The pilot is given the authority to maneuver the ship by law, but has no power to do so without the Captain's approval. Conversely, the Captain has the power to maneuver the ship, but cannot do so without the legal authority given to the pilot.

The pilot is on the bridge as an adviser. The captain is always in charge of and responsible for the ship. Therefore it was the captain's responsibility to not crash the ship. However accidents do happen and winds do come up unexpectedly. Until we get more facts it may be an unavoidable accident due to sudden weather or one that could have been anticipated and avoided.

BTW Ketchikan is where they were going to build the "bridge to nowhere". Actually it was to be a bridge to the island where the airport is located. Now they have to take a ferry to get a flight and they have no roads out of the city.

I agree with you.

Hi All

Ships captains should safe this video, and every time some passenger

complains about missing a port, or says another ship made it in they should

show this,

yours Shogun

I will sure think twice about missed ports after seeing this. There have been times when we all have wondered why the Captain chose not to go into port.

45 mph winds.. That pilot is going to have some answering to do trying to get that docked in those winds.

The captain is in control of the ship.

The pilot gives advice to the captain on how to maneuver the ship within the harbor.

Apparently some advice is better than others!!!

Take care,

Vinnie

I will sure think twice about missed ports after seeing this. There have been times when we all have wondered why the Captain chose not to go into port.

That happened to us on our first cruise to Hawaii. We missed the tender port due to winds and waves. The Captain said he could get us to to shore but couldn't guarantee getting us back. I trust his judgement and wasn't upset like some were. In my old age I'm not such a dare devil any more.:D

Over on the Celebrity site, some of the current passengers are posting. They docked 2.5 hrs late, but got to stay 2.5 hrs longer. They have all been given OBC and refunds of excursion money to help make up for the inconvenience. The ship came close to sliding into the HAL ship next to them.

Wow. As bad as it was, it is a really good thing it didn't slide into another ship.:eek::eek::eek:

One less dock in Ketchikan....:p

KTVA Anchorage CBS 11 reports that the Celebrity Infinity slammed into Berth 3. Ship and dock are both damaged. Apparently, gale force winds were part of it. What a shame!

This is why I don't mind when a port is missed.

They should of skipped it.

On one of our visits to Ketchikan, we got docked okay. But when it came time to leave, the wind was too strong and kept us from pulling away from the dock. Sat there for a few hours. Not nearly as interesting as what happened here.

??? Did you check the link in post #2 of this thread? Or read any of the posts?

Of course I did. How else would I know other ships were there? We have tendered in alot rougher seas than the viedo shows. I like facts be for I pass judgement and I am not a captain.

She was in port with us last week. Looks like either some ships will have to pass this port or tender. Yikes!

Since Celebrity was the cause of the damage, their ships should have to tender for the rest of the season. Why should other cruise line passengers have to pay the price for their incompetence?

45 mph winds.. That pilot is going to have some answering to do trying to get that docked in those winds.

Your statement shows some misunderstanding of the Pilot's responsibility versus the ship's Captain. Yes, the pilot is there to advise and aid the ship's Captain in the approach and docking. However, the Captain is in full command (except when going through the Panama Canal) and is solely responsible for the safe operation and docking of the vessel. Bottom line is this accident is on the Captain.... Yes, high winds certainly contributed to the incident, but Captain's are expected to use their many years of experience and training to cope with issues like winds and currents. If the Captain determines that the situation is too dangerous to safely dock, it is always the Captain's option to bypass the port, or perhaps lay off the coast for a period of time until, hopefully, the conditions improve. In fact, this happened to us about 2 years ago in Naples, Italy when our Captain decided to hold position (for nearly 2 hours) outside the port until the wind situation improved enough for us to dock.

We cannot help but think of what a certain Celebrity Captain (a friend) would say about this situation....."the Captain had a very bad day." And accidents do happen, this will get the usual after-incident investigation....the insurance companies will pay-off for the damage....and life will go on.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner