Adventures on the Grandeur, June 4-9, 2016

Hi Everyone!

My Daughter, two Grandchildren ages 6&4, and I are cruising on the Grandeur now. If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them for you.

I have no idea how to upload pictures to this site, but I will take as many as possible. I don't know how to use Tapatalk and when I went to the App to look for it, there were many choices and I didn't know what to use!

Our adventures started out very early on Friday morning when we began the drive north from SC. We stopped in Lexington, VA to have lunch with friends and then continued on to Hagerstown, MD for the night.

After a short drive on Saturday morning, we arrived at Cruise Maryland. Everything at the port was very well organized and in no time at all we were parked and onto the ship!

Because we decided to not rush on Saturday morning, we were able to go straight to our rooms!

We have a large Ocean View cabin with 2 upper berths. The room seems smaller to me than I remember our cabin on her in 1997! Of course since then I have become spoiled by balcony cabins on larger ships! It is fine though and the little ones love lying in the upper berths watching out the windows!

More to follow!

Hi Everyone!

My Daughter, two Grandchildren ages 6&4, and I are cruising on the Grandeur now. If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them for you.

I have no idea how to upload pictures to this site, but I will take as many as possible. I don't know how to use Tapatalk and when I went to the App to look for it, there were many choices and I didn't know what to use!

Our adventures started out very early on Friday morning when we began the drive north from SC. We stopped in Lexington, VA to have lunch with friends and then continued on to Hagerstown, MD for the night.

After a short drive on Saturday morning, we arrived at Cruise Maryland. Everything at the port was very well organized and in no time at all we were parked and onto the ship!

Because we decided to not rush on Saturday morning, we were able to go straight to our rooms!

We have a large Ocean View cabin with 2 upper berths. The room seems smaller to me than I remember our cabin on her in 1997! Of course since then I have become spoiled by balcony cabins on larger ships! It is fine though and the little ones love lying in the upper berths watching out the windows!

More to follow!

Will be sailing on her August 4th and as always looking forward to this grand old lady and her crew! I'm sure the grandchildren love the bed arrangements!....K.O.:):)

If you could let me know if there is a "pets at sea" (build a bear thing) on grandeur, I would sure appreciate it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry, no pets at sea. Grandeur is very basic in every way, but absolutely lovely! My grandchildren are really enjoying the kids club! There are 200 "kids" on board, but very few of them in the kids club.

Going to be on Grandeur next month. How about internet speed with the new Voom? Also, I'm curious to know the hours of the Park Cafe and what options are available for late night snacks.

Edited by mad-dog74

Boarding was so simple! Luggage is dropped off curbside and then one drives to the parking area. It's $15/ day and they accept cash or charge. Then it's just a short walk to the terminal. Everyone has to go thru security and then fill out a health form. We then got into the diamond line which was empty and we were on the ship within 20 minutes! We walked onto the ship at level one. The damaged gangplank appeared to have been removed. I asked a security person and he said it was gone!

I was given my access code to the Internet at boarding. I don't know how to check what my internet speed is as I'm computer illiterate! I will say it's not as fast as at home, but it's not terrible!

Day 1 Muster Drill. At 3;30 PM we lined up for our drill. No life jackets were not necessary. They scanned our cards and then waited around as some people had not shown up. It took about 30 minutes. We went to the sail away party up on deck 10 and then walked up to deck 11. Our cruise critic thread was not active, but we did meet up with one couple and we watched the Grandeur sail under the Francis Keys Bridge. We then went down to get ready for dinner and found our luggage waiting for us.

Dinner on night 1 was good. I am allergic to fish and seafood, so I was very limited with the menu. There has been escargot on the menu every night and everyone reports it is delicious! I had a beef bourginon with white rice which was tasty. I did notice portion sizes are smaller. Most people had the tempura battered Mahi Mah, which they said was excellent! Our waiters Endi and DeJon are fabulous and wonderful with the grandchildren!! Thanks to my super travel agent we were at our favorite type of table: a table for 10 at a window! The grands love it as they can sit in the window and watch the sea go by!

We didn't go to the show as we had the children with us. They were tired and ready for bed!i

DAY 2

The seas were as smooth as glass over night. The beds weren't bad, but I had asked for extra padding.

It's time to pick the children up, so i'll be back!

Continue to ask your questions and i'll be back!!!

Have a great cruise. I have heard rumors the menus were changing in June, just wondering if that has happened or if the crew can give you any details.

Thanks

I spoke to my waiter last night and he said the menu would be changing, but not until the end of June or in July.

Solarium pool... on sea day... how crowded?

We had to board two hours early today due to TS Colin. When I went up there around 11 AM every lounge chair was taken. Most with just a freshly folded towel, chair hogs!!!!:rolleyes: There were plenty of seats available at the chairs and tables. At noon, not only the tables were available. There were no security people around to tell the chairs had been occupied by only a towel! I had half a mind to put stick notes on all the chairs as to what time I got there and started waiting to occupy a chair! The pool was pretty empty, but by 1 PM it was standing room only :(

Gluten free is clearly marked in the dining room. In the windjammer there is a whole section that is gluten free!

I have severe allergies to fish and seafood, plus I have to have a low sodium diet. I let special services know and they let our head waiter know. I order my lunch and dinner the night before and it is all specially prepared for me.

We are gently rocking and rolling, I love it!

We were sure rocking and rolling last night! Water actually came in the window

We are cruising on the grandeur June 15, 2017... so a little more then a year...

Turning Emerald on that cruise...

we are going to be on deck 2.. have never been this low on a cruise ship

What deck are you on the water came to window (because of the weather?)

If you could let me know if there is a "pets at sea" (build a bear thing) on grandeur, I would sure appreciate it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is no Pets at Sea on the Grandeur unfortunately.

We are cruising on the grandeur June 15, 2017... so a little more then a year...

Turning Emerald on that cruise...

we are going to be on deck 2.. have never been this low on a cruise ship

What deck are you on the water came to window (because of the weather?)

We are on deck 4! There is obviously a leak in the seal. We reported it this morning.

The "ooops" bags are all over the ship and a lot of cleaning up going on!!! Fortunately, none of the 4 of us get seasick. My DD is almost 22 weeks pregnant and not even having a problem! The two children have great sea legs, ours are a bit wobbly and off balanced!!!

I'm having trouble connecting to the internet which they said would happen.

Day 2 at sea!

It was a beautiful sea day and the decks were packed. The kids were anxious to get to kids club and my DD and I just hung out around the ship. I walked my laps on deck 5 as it was so windy on deck 10! It was formal night, so I got dressed early and went to the diamond club to be out of the way. Dinner was excellent. I can't remember what I had, i'll have to go back and look at the menu!! We were going to go to the show, but we didn't. It was Savannah Jack or someone like that, again i'll have to look on the program.

Day 3, Monday. We arrived in Bermuda at 1 PM. The captain announced on his noon report that we would be leaving Bermuda at 12 Noon due to TS Colin.

The kids went to kids club and we each did our own thing. We went to the Dining Room at noon for lunch. We prefer eating in the dining room. My DD and her 2 children eat breakfast there every morning. The 6 year old loves her lox and the 4 year old enjoys the pancakes! I enjoy room service, but I must say the coffee has not been good. I love the Tutti salad bar at lunch. The other lunch menu items are just so-so. I've had a turkey burger, quiche, beef taco salad and an apple puff pastry.

We got off the ship and went to the shops in town. That evening, the dining room was empty! They offered the chops filet mignon for $10!

More later. Please keep asking questions and i'll try to answer you!