Juneau: Help me plan our last excursion(s)!

limoncello07

Hi all: I'm a first-time cruiser traveling on a 7-day RT with my sister and two 14-year old boys at the end of July. It will also be the first time in Alaska for all of us, and I am doing my best to maximize our shore time with a variety of activities. Ketchikan and Skagway are now planned out. On our Juneau day, we will be taking the Tracy Arm catamaran excursion offered through the ship (the Ruby Princess), which has us arriving in Juneau at approximately 1:30 p.m. I’m trying to figure out a plan for next 8 hours or so, prior to the ship’s departure at 10:15 pm.

There's no shortage of activities in Juneau that I think would be fun for our group, just too little time (and money) to do it all! I know for certain we will want to do a whale watch tour; the other things that leap off the page as most interesting – and combinable with the whale watching tour -- are Mendenhall Glacier, and an expected presentation by Iditarod champion Libby Riddles onboard our ship. (I’m currently assuming that presentation begin around 8:00 p.m., as indicated in recent patters from the same cruise, though checking to see if I can confirm the schedule for our specific date in port.) I _think_ I’ve figured out a way that we could conceivably do all three things with some reasonable cushion between activities, but worry that we will still be a little rushed. I’m wondering if instead we should give up either on Mendenhall Glacier or Libby Riddles, and allow ourselves a bit more “down time” in Juneau between activities.

I’d welcome general thoughts and suggestions for planning our afternoon in Juneau, as well as any reactions to the specific questions below:

• I will definitely want to spend some time on land after getting off the catamaran, and the idea of walking on some of the trails near Mendenhall Glacier is appealing in that regard. However, I don’t know whether the views will seem repetitive or even anticlimactic after our morning excursion to the Sawyer Glacier, where I think we will actually be getting much closer to the glacier itself. Are these two experiences like apples and oranges? Or would you give a lower priority to Mendenhall having done the Tracy Arm excursion the same day?

• With respect to Libby Riddles, I’ve heard the presentation is great and something I think we’d all enjoy. Assuming it begins at 8 pm however, I think this means we’d need to be back in port by 7 pm to allow time for boarding the ship, grabbing some dinner, and then getting to the auditorium early enough to get seats (which is apparently a common issue with onboard entertainment). And that in turn cuts into a couple of evening hours that would otherwise be available for other activities. I’ll make queries about this on the Princess board as well, but if anyone here has attended one of these presentations, I’d appreciate hearing whether my assumption about needing to be back at the ship by 7:00 is accurate, and whether you think the lecture might be worth skipping Mendenhall Glacier, given the rest of our itinerary.

• If we did drop either one of these things, what would your suggestions be for a more unstructured activity after we disembark in Juneau, and prior to a whale watch excursion? Are two 14-year old boys likely to enjoy ambling around downtown Juneau? Are the walking trails on top of Mt. Roberts interesting? Something else you'd recommend that doesn’t require advance reservations?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Edited by limoncello07

Hi all: I'm a first-time cruiser traveling on a 7-day RT with my sister and two 14-year old boys at the end of July. It will also be the first time in Alaska for all of us, and I am doing my best to maximize our shore time with a variety of activities. Ketchikan and Skagway are now planned out. On our Juneau day, we will be taking the Tracy Arm catamaran excursion offered through the ship (the Ruby Princess), which has us arriving in Juneau at approximately 1:30 p.m. I’m trying to figure out a plan for next 8 hours or so, prior to the ship’s departure at 10:15 pm.

[/font]

I would eat after Libby's presentation.

I think your main issue is getting transportation back from Mendenhall if you stay later than the shuttles run.

Edited by Coral

You need to first, determine- what whale watch is going to be available for you and time of it. Along with a vendor who does a drop off. Be willing to just get a cab back to the ship- with a prearranged pick up. I would not give any priority to a "meal", frankly. Fill in with room service? This all depends on verifying that the schedule is in place for Libby Riddles?

You need to determine- YOUR priority list of touring. All 3 likely can be done- IF you are organized and find the timing options that are optimal, with a whale watch, that needs to be after 3p

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks very much for the replies! Yes, carefully planned logistics, including pre-arranged taxi would definitely have to be part of the plan if we try to do all three. We certainly do not need any kind of formal "meal," but I know that after an afternoon of activities we'll by hungry by 8 pm and will at least need some kind of snack. Being a first-time cruiser, I don't have a good sense of how long it will take us to check back into the ship, or to grab something like a sandwich once onboard -- I've assumed there will likely be lines for both but perhaps I've overestimated the time required.

Your replies have helped me realize that I think my "dilemma" really boils down to whether we should try to squeeze in Mendenhall Glacier after having spent part of the morning at Sawyer Glacier. I'm sure they are both striking in different ways, but perhaps one glacier is "enough" given that we have just one day in Juneau? (E.g., there is a large number of amazing museums in Paris but I wouldn't try to see them all in one day). I'd love to hear from anyone who has done both as to how the experiences compare, and whether you'd recommend trying to do both in one day. I know that's a decision we'll ultimately have to make for ourselves, but information and perspectives from those who have already made these visits would be help me in choosing what to prioritize. Perhaps if I don't hear back from folks here I will try rephrasing my question into a more simple query about the Sawyer and Mendenhall glacier experiences.

Many thanks again!

Your replies have helped me realize that I think my "dilemma" really boils down to whether we should try to squeeze in Mendenhall Glacier after having spent part of the morning at Sawyer Glacier. I'm sure they are both striking in different ways, but perhaps one glacier is "enough" given that we have just one day in Juneau? (E.g., there is a large number of amazing museums in Paris but I wouldn't try to see them all in one day). I'd love to hear from anyone who has done both as to how the experiences compare, and whether you'd recommend trying to do both in one day. I know that's a decision we'll ultimately have to make for ourselves, but information and perspectives from those who have already made these visits would be help me in choosing what to prioritize. Perhaps if I don't hear back from folks here I will try rephrasing my question into a more simple query about the Sawyer and Mendenhall glacier experiences.

Many thanks again!

Why not see what your whale watch timing can be with a vendor do drops you off (or picks up) from Mendenhall? You may not even find any suitable time? Then knowing the times you can get accurate replies.

Yes, I have been to both Mendenhall and Sawyer Glaciers many times, including- both again a couple weeks ago. BUT Sawyer Glaciers are not a given. My recent trips, only went to the North Sawyer Glaciers, with a great visit of Mendenhall and a walk to Nugget Falls.

Why not see what your whale watch timing can be with a vendor do drops you off (or picks up) from Mendenhall? You may not even find any suitable time? Then knowing the times you can get accurate replies.

Yes, I have been to both Mendenhall and Sawyer Glaciers many times, including- both again a couple weeks ago. BUT Sawyer Glaciers are not a given. My recent trips, only went to the North Sawyer Glaciers, with a great visit of Mendenhall and a walk to Nugget Falls.

Thanks for the suggestion and the report from your recent trip -- good point to keep in mind! Yes, I've checked with some vendors and am now confident that I can make this all work time-wise if I want; it's just a matter of figuring out whether we want to try to "cram it all in" or go at a slightly more leisurely pace. Thanks very much for the reactions!

Budget Queen: I can't help it. I just can't. I read who is posting before I read the post. Often, if I'm familiar with the poster, that gives me a tone for the post and helps me know where they are coming from. For instance Pam from CA and Coral are usually upbeat and helpful so if I read a nasty post from them I would know that it was out of character and that they didn't mean it that way it came across or that something must be horribly wrong because it would be so out of character. Also the name is often we can put together to describe a personality of a poster. Putterdude for example. I'm guessing he's a golfer.

Okay. So now - on to the "off topic" post. Your name. BUDGET Queen. Your name insinuates someone that is on a, well, a budget. Queen would indicate that you are really good at keeping to the budget. Sooooo, when I read your posts (especially about Alaska) I get so thrown off because, well, I'm thinking you must be on a budget and you are darn good at it. Then I read stuff like: Yes, I have been to both Mendenhall and Sawyer Glaciers many times, including- both again a couple weeks ago. Every single time it goes through my head: if she's a such a big budget person how is she able to cruise so often.

Then I think to myself: ahhh, it's just a name. OR - Maybe she IS so good at her budgeting that's how she can afford to cruise so often.

(insert heavy sigh here). I need to get a life, don't I?

Edited by notentirelynormal

I've been able to get Coastal Helicopters to coordinate with my whale watching and they will drop me off right out front. I'll be like a rock start:D.

Budget Queen: I can't help it. I just can't. I read who is posting before I read the post. Often, if I'm familiar with the poster, that gives me a tone for the post and helps me know where they are coming from. For instance Pam from CA and Coral are usually upbeat and helpful so if I read a nasty post from them I would know that it was out of character and that they didn't mean it that way it came across or that something must be horribly wrong because it would be so out of character. Also the name is often we can put together to describe a personality of a poster. Putterdude for example. I'm guessing he's a golfer.

Okay. So now - on to the "off topic" post. Your name. BUDGET Queen. Your name insinuates someone that is on a, well, a budget. Queen would indicate that you are really good at keeping to the budget. Sooooo, when I read your posts (especially about Alaska) I get so thrown off because, well, I'm thinking you must be on a budget and you are darn good at it. Then I read stuff like: Yes, I have been to both Mendenhall and Sawyer Glaciers many times, including- both again a couple weeks ago. Every single time it goes through my head: if she's a such a big budget person how is she able to cruise so often.

Then I think to myself: ahhh, it's just a name. OR - Maybe she IS so good at her budgeting that's how she can afford to cruise so often.

(insert heavy sigh here). I need to get a life, don't I?

for me, "budget" doesn't mean, low cost, or eliminating choices due to cost. :) My traveling style is for value. I do take a lot of costly tours, many, repetitively. I am fortunate to snag plenty of great deals. I do, frequently late book cheap cruises, which are huge cost savings. I have the ability to do so, because I have nonrev flight benefits. I've been traveling in this manner for over 30 years, never "waiting" for anywhere I wanted to go. I've always been a firm advocate of living my life for today, and I'm so glad I have, more thankful, I'm still able. :) :)

Thank you for your insight- I should be "Value Queen". :) :)

for me, "budget" doesn't mean, low cost, or eliminating choices due to cost. :) My traveling style is for value. I do take a lot of costly tours, many, repetitively. I am fortunate to snag plenty of great deals. I do, frequently late book cheap cruises, which are huge cost savings. I have the ability to do so, because I have nonrev flight benefits. I've been traveling in this manner for over 30 years, never "waiting" for anywhere I wanted to go. I've always been a firm advocate of living my life for today, and I'm so glad I have, more thankful, I'm still able. :) :)

Thank you for your insight- I should be "Value Queen". :) :)

No - No! Don't change it. Then I'll have to get used to another name LOL. It is all about semantics. We all have our user names for a reason.

I had to laugh at my DH the other day. He told me we had to be more careful with our money now that we were both retired. That we were now on a "fixed" income. I explained to him when people say "I don't have the money because I'm on a fixed income" they mean that they are scrimping by on minimal money usually only with a very small amount from Social Security and nothing else. It doesn't mean they make as much as we do. We aren't rolling in the dough but we certainly on the edge of Poverty Row either. I told him if you are looking at it that way, we have always lived on a fixed income. After all, our paycheck was the same every week unless we got a raise and then it went back to being a fixed income again. I think he's got it now :rolleyes: because I'm allowed to start thinking about another cruise. If only he knew I was way past the thinking stage and well into the planning stage.

I do, frequently late book cheap cruises, which are huge cost savings. I have the ability to do so, because I have nonrev flight benefits.

If you don't mind sharing, I was curious about the "late book" where you can get huge cost savings. At what time/point does that happen? Like a week before sailing? And how/where would one check? Not that I'm there yet -- I have a few years of working still but look forward to the day when I retire and can catch cruises at a great deal! Thanks!

If you don't mind sharing, I was curious about the "late book" where you can get huge cost savings. At what time/point does that happen? Like a week before sailing? And how/where would one check? Not that I'm there yet -- I have a few years of working still but look forward to the day when I retire and can catch cruises at a great deal! Thanks!

I get email up dates from some discount booking agents. I also check various cruise line sites, since they have a "specials" page. :)

My bargains are usually as late as a few days prior to several weeks prior. You have to act fast as some deals don't last long. you also must be accepting of more price drops after you book. Sometimes happens, best not to boo hoo over it. Be glad you got the lower rate you did. :)

Several thoughts come to mind:

Pad your schedule after the TA catamaran trip. We did it from the Ruby last August, and even though the reservation said it'd be over at 1:00, the boat captain timed our trip as though the end time was 1:30. Because there were two boats and we were on the second to reboard the Ruby, we missed our 1:45 whale watch and they had to send the bus back to get us.

We've done Juneau four times, have done whale watches from Juneau all four times, and have NEVER been able to see Libby Riddles speak. It's always been 3pm or 4pm for us, which has never worked out for most any whale watch timing except for the very latest out there, particular on a Tracy Arm itinerary. And sadly, you may not know what time she'll speak until you get the Patter the night before.

We're big believers in the whale watches available through Gastineau Guiding. It'll be JNU-700 or JNU-705 in your Princess Excursion planner. 700 is better even if you have no interest in photography, as it's a smaller boat, but 705 is still fantastic if you prefer it. Both of these include time at Mendenhall Glacier and the requisite three legs of transportation (ship to whale dock, whale dock to MG, MG to ship; the MG and whales could be reversed depending on your tour).

Doing the TA catamaran will result in an early morning. You'll probably be expected to report to the Princess Theater around 6:45am. If you snack on the catamaran, get back to the ship at 1:45, have a late lunch in the buffet, get off the ship for a 3:15 whale watch, you're probably finishing that at 8:15 or so and you'll be ready if not desperate for dinner, and done for the day. If you're truly the adventure-seeking type, book a 1:45 whale watch and when you head to the Princess Theater to hurry-up-and-wait for the catamaran, lie to them and say you have a 1:15 excursion in Juneau. If they get all panicked, pull out your tickets and say "oops, I meant 1:45, regardless, where should I go to be back on the Ruby first?". [i say this because our excursion was scheduled for 1:45 with a 1:35 report time on the ticket. They asked if we had an excursion between 1:00 and 1:30, and we said no. Big mistake...should have lied, or at least said "close enough, 1:35, where should we go?"] You'll need to eat lunch on the catamaran (hint: go early before the selections disappear) so bring cash or card. However, you'll finish around 6:45 and actually could do something else if you wanted. We enjoyed a fine dinner at our usual table in the MDR after dumping our camera gear in our cabin...

Several thoughts come to mind:

Hi peety3, thanks so much for the additional tips! Yes, I've been coming around to the view that as much as I'd like to see Libby Riddles, it's not worth planning our day in Juneau around an event where the start time is hard to pin down and could easily change at the last minute. I'm disappointed, but it gives me some comfort to know that I'm not the only one who has been faced with this choice, lol, so thanks for commiserating. :( Perhaps they will replay the presentation on the stateroom tv at some point.

If we're not rushing to get back to the ship by 7:00 there are more possibilities for a late afternoon/early evening whale watch. (Thank you for the recommendations regarding Gastineau Gliding, which has been on my radar!). In addition to wanting some "padding" between excursions, I'm also thinking that after 6 hours on the catamaran, we -- or at least I -- will want to stretch my legs on land for a bit rather than jumping onto another boat right away. So I'm gravitating to a plan where we leave the middle of the afternoon relatively unstructured, to permit some time to hike a bit on our own in the Mendenhall Glacier area. (Maybe Steep Creek trail?). This will likely involve making private arrangements to get to from the port to Mendenhall, and then later Mendenhall to Auke Bay; however, even if we wind up arranging taxi rides for that, I think it will be worth the extra cost to be able to spend the afternoon going at our own pace and in the order we want. (A combo tour would be more cost effective, but time constraining; also, many of the combo tours do the whale watch first, whereas I'd like that to be our last activity of the day). Sunset should be around 9:40 and the Ruby does not depart until 10:15, so might as well make the most of our day in Juneau .

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions, much appreciated!

p.s. -- just missed the "edit" deadline to add one more question to my post above, regarding the photography version of the Gastineau Guiding excursion. This might actually meet my timing preferences for visiting Mendenhall Glacier (and obviate the need for private transportation arrangements); however, from some of the reviews and the description on their website I am wondering whether the initial "photo safari" leg in Mendenhall may be too slow-paced for two 14-year old boys -- any thoughts? They will have some amount of interest in photography, but I suspect will get pretty fidgety if we are stopping to memorialize every wildflower on the trail. I welcome thoughts from anyone who has been on the trip!

Edited by limoncello07

Peety has more experience with the actual tour, but I'm guessing it might be too slow for teen boys who have been inactive for 6 hours on a boat. You will have to keep pace with the slowest person on the tour, and likely stopping for photography tips as well. Unless they have an interest in photography, they will likely get restless. When I took teens to Mendenhall, we walked out to Nugget Falls. They walked ahead of us at their own pace, fished ice pieces out of the lake so they could say they touched glacier ice, and threw stones into the water.

Also, be sure to make time to feed those boys lunch after getting off of your catamaran tour. From what I've heard, there are some snacks, but not full lunch like they will be used to on the cruise ship. :p I know many cruisers (particularly Budget Queen) don't worry much about meals and just want to see and do everything, but hungry teenagers are a different matter!

p.s. -- just missed the "edit" deadline to add one more question to my post above, regarding the photography version of the Gastineau Guiding excursion. This might actually meet my timing preferences for visiting Mendenhall Glacier (and obviate the need for private transportation arrangements); however, from some of the reviews and the description on their website I am wondering whether the initial "photo safari" leg in Mendenhall may be too slow-paced for two 14-year old boys -- any thoughts? They will have some amount of interest in photography, but I suspect will get pretty fidgety if we are stopping to memorialize every wildflower on the trail. I welcome thoughts from anyone who has been on the trip!

Verify what "hike" the guided hike is?? In the past, I have seen them lined up for the Trail of Time. There used to be a guide sheet you could print off, no view of the glacier and it's going to be pretty dull for a lot of people.

IF you go with the combo option, for the transportation only, just exit the guided hike, and meet up with them later for the transfer. Nugget Falls trail, is way more exciting for everyone. :)

I'd characterize it as "blob mentality" - the group waggles forward at a somewhat moderate pace, and stretches out as people pause to take some shots but rarely comes to any significant "stop here and shoot stuff". It is the Trail of Time usually (2 of our 3 times on the tour). The guide will likely ask people to stay at least visually connected, but I think you'll be OK.

Your luck/mileage will most definitely vary, but on one of our tours, the sun/moon/tides/season aligned just right and the guide "conspired" with the bus driver to burn through the Trail of Time like a rocket, then stop at the radio station on the way back into Juneau to see the birds feasting on the salmon in the creek. If you happen upon this sort of luck, or something similar, everyone will be thoroughly engaged, as this was quite a highlight.

Thanks to everyone for the additional replies. Yes, my understanding is that the hike is on the Trail of Time, which is what made me a little concerned about it possibly being a bit slow for the boys. Peety3 your description is very helpful, and the story about the guide being attuned to wildlife opportunities is encouraging. I've gone ahead and reserved the tour for now but will lay it out for my nephew along with other potential options and get his reaction -- I do think he and his friend will like the photography guidance once they are on the whale watch, as well as the small tour size so it may be that they are willing to put up with a slow start if need be. And I will also keep in mind BQ's suggestion about perhaps taking a detour if they are restless, in coordination with the guide.

Sherryf, I appreciate the reality check, and am completely with you on the food issue -- I wish I could blame it on the teenage boys, but the truth is I myself don't do so well on an empty stomach, and need to factor in food breaks so I can enjoy the rest of our time without feeling lightheaded or headache-y. The tour pickup won't be until 3:30, so that will give us all some breathing room.

Sherryf, I appreciate the reality check, and am completely with you on the food issue -- I wish I could blame it on the teenage boys, but the truth is I myself don't do so well on an empty stomach, and need to factor in food breaks so I can enjoy the rest of our time without feeling lightheaded or headache-y. The tour pickup won't be until 3:30, so that will give us all some breathing room.

On food - if you are on the ship between tours - you can quickly grab a hot dog, hamburger or slice of pizza with out a wait. They are available on deck.

Or International Cafe has quick food to eat.

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to circle back and thank everyone who chimed in on this thread and my related post: Mendenhall Glacier following Tracy Arm After reflecting your comments and detailed descriptions (special hat tip to peety3 for the latter), I decided to entirely reshuffle our plans for both Skagway and Juneau. Although it was hard to let go of my prized booking on the Tracy Arm catamaran excursion, and I had been warning to the Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari, I ultimately decided that our group as a whole would be better off with a more active mode of glacier exploring, through the Glacier Wilderness Safari excursion out of Skagway suggested by Coral. This had a complicated domino effect on our other excrusion plans, but the outcome is that we on our Juneau day we will content ourselves with seeing Tracy Arm as far as the Ruby Princess will take us (and in the case of the teens, probably sleeping in a bit longer), and then spend our afternoon in Juneau with the "sled dog discovery" excursion followed by an evening whale watch (only) tour. In Skagway, we will do the aforementioned "wilderness safari" to Davidson Glacier (near Haines), and I've managed to book a brief mini-bus excursion to White Pass summit when we return to Skagway in the afternoon.

Many hard choices, but knowing that we can't do it all, I'm confident that we now have two days planned that will be "wow" days for all four of us. Thanks again for the help (and for helping me already plan activities for my second cruise to Alaska, lol . . .).