Prescription meds questions

mom22boys

If travelling through customs or an airport yes there are rules.

I found out the hard way at the US customs when my daughter's friend had her allergy meds in a plastic bag. We sat there for the next hour while they cross referenced the pills in their books to see if they were what she said they were... Customs officer was good enough to show us the regs where all meds must be in the original container.... Lesson learned. :)

Wrong. "Should" is not the same as "shall." Here's the regulation. If you don't have the bottle, all you need is the scrip info ( the "back panel" cited earlier.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/kw/Prescription%20container/sno/1

There are many good reasons, NEVER to bulk pack a bunch of pills in unmarked containers. A significant one- is NO heath care professional, is going to "guess" at anything. A "piece" of paper, may also not be enough. Having the pill bottles, with the script, dispensing information is a big time saver in an emergency. Easy, fast, verification information- all there. I just don't understand the "inconvenience" a few, pill bottles are to some people? (and don't assume, I don't "know", I traveled with someone who had over 20 different meds, and all remained in the original packaging- with several emergencies during travel)

I have all of my medical information stored in "Medical ID" on my iphone, which first responders are trained to check.

Did you know that?

If I faint on deck, I am 100% certain that no one is going to send a crew member to ransack my cabin, looking for pill bottles. By the time he/she looked up my cabin number, got there and had a look, I would either have died or regained consciousness and been able to tell them about any medication. If someone is on tricky medication, far better to wear a medicalert bracelet, surely.

Exactly right, I hide my pill box and would for sure hide pill bottles just in case any worker had sticky fingers..

Wrong. "Should" is not the same as "shall." Here's the regulation. If you don't have the bottle, all you need is the scrip info ( the "back panel" cited earlier.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/kw/Prescription%20container/sno/1

No prescription available.... we sat there while they compared the pills to the pictures until they were certain what they were.... Yes they let us go once that was determined so I guess "should" applies.... :rolleyes:

I have all of my medical information stored in "Medical ID" on my iphone, which first responders are trained to check.

Did you know that?

Won't do you any good if you have a password on the phone. My husband is EMS and they don't typically check cell phones, just look for bracelets and necklaces. LEO might try the cell to find an emergency contact, but again if the phone is locked it goes into a personal property bag and that's it.

Won't do you any good if you have a password on the phone. My husband is EMS and they don't typically check cell phones, just look for bracelets and necklaces. LEO might try the cell to find an emergency contact, but again if the phone is locked it goes into a personal property bag and that's it.

It overrides the passcode.

Go find it on your iphone: if you haven't checked it before, it is in the white "health" box with the red heart. Open it. Go to Medical ID. Fill out what you want, then move it to the tool bar so it is easily found.

When you DH responds, all he has to do is open it and click on medical ID and that part will open whether the person has a passcode or not.

Edited by spleenstomper

It overrides the passcode.

I wouldn't want my personal medical info where anyone can get to it. And like I said, my husband is EMS and says in 10+ years of "riding the boo boo bus," he has yet to look at someone's cell for medical info.

I wouldn't want my personal medical info where anyone can get to it. And like I said, my husband is EMS and says in 10+ years of "riding the boo boo bus," he has yet to look at someone's cell for medical info.

He should start ASAP because its VERY IMPORTANT.

If you don't want to set yours up, good for you. More power to you.

He should check all phones anyway since some WILL HAVE PERTINENT medical information PLUS who to contact.

Its the same thing as a medical alert bracelet, except its on a phone. If he can take a mintute to check a bracelet he can take another minute to check a phone. It may save time in the long run.

You can go ahead and assume we in medicine, given my username.

Edited by spleenstomper

He should start ASAP because its VERY IMPORTANT.

If you don't want to set yours up, good for you. More power to you.

He should check all phones anyway since some WILL HAVE PERTINENT medical information PLUS who to contact.

Its the same thing as a medical alert bracelet, except its on a phone. If he can take a mintute to check a bracelet he can take another minute to check a phone. It may save time in the long run.

You can go ahead abd assume we are medical related, given my username.

He will do so when it becomes protocol for his squad. Until then it's not something they are doing. My point is that people shouldn't expect this to happen. The cell phone might not be located, it could be damaged, the battery could be dead, it is not as open and shut as you would think.

I am much relieved to not live in your area and to live in an area where EMT wouldnt wait until "protocol" is announced to do the right thing.

Have a good night-- its beautiful finally out here after all of our rain.

Considering my husband and I live is different states...

Me again! I take several prescription meds, including insulin quik pen. We are driving to our port. Do I still need to keep everything in original bottles? A daily pill box would be much easier!

I know of no reason requiring you to keep Meds in their original bottles. I have taken at least 10 different Meds on several World cruises and never took an original bottle

Scott & Karen

He will do so when it becomes protocol for his squad. Until then it's not something they are doing. My point is that people shouldn't expect this to happen. The cell phone might not be located, it could be damaged, the battery could be dead, it is not as open and shut as you would think.

Umm, I'm with him 100%. Why would he do something that could be considered illegal. He could be sued in a nanosecond for violating their personal rights. Oh, and if you DH decides to do this, make sure he gets training on every single brand of phone and/or tablet. As well, make sure when he goes through my phone that he looks for the email I sent to myself with my current medicines. I can hear it now: EMT went through my purse and stole my money.

Spleenstomper: you really don't have to be so condescending. If you were 100% right, or should I say it was 100% acceptable, then it would be the law everywhere and ducklite would still be right. I'm not sure, just because you are in the medical field, that you know everything about the law. Laws are different by cities, counties and states. When did you start being the country's moral compass?

Edited by notentirelynormal

Most folks use a daily pill cases...you can, too. If you have great quantities of narcotics, THEY should be in the original bottles, but normal meds do NOT need to be.

How do you know this? Do you ask everyone you meet how they carry their pills? I think it would be very difficult to transport say 6 or 8 or more pills per day on a 7 or 9 or even longer cruise in a daily pill case. :confused::roll eyes: OY!

The rules say yes, must be in the original package. However, it is not always enforced. How big a problem would it be if your drugs are sealed?

I found out the hard way at the US customs when my daughter's friend had her allergy meds in a plastic bag. We sat there for the next hour while they cross referenced the pills in their books to see if they were what she said they were... Customs officer was good enough to show us the regs where all meds must be in the original container.... Lesson learned. :)

This is not correct. There is no US federal law requiring prescription medications be in their original bottles. The law only requires you be able to show proof of prescription.

Here is a link to CBP's guidance on medications.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5MzUxOTMyNy9zaWQvTURPVUgtTmw%3D/search/1

This topic comes up all the time on CC. It's up to the traveler to decide what is prudent but the fact is, the law does not require original packaging.

How do you know this? Do you ask everyone you meet how they carry their pills? I think it would be very difficult to transport say 6 or 8 or more pills per day on a 7 or 9 or even longer cruise in a daily pill case. :confused::roll eyes: OY!

Most of our cruises are 14 days or longer. Our longest was 33 days. My husband takes 10 after breakfast pills, 5 after dinner pills. I buy bitty ziplock baggies from SciPlus.com and after putting one week's supply in two pillcases I put the rest of his daily after meal allotments in those, put all those little baggies into a quartsize ziplock bag along with a printout of all his Rx's. never had a problem, even when we've been randomly chosen for customs in Jamaica as well as in a European country. There is no way we'd carry those huge 90 day supply original bottles. And with V.A. Pharmacy you take the size they give.

Edited by NMLady

I was replying to a poster that stated they could not question an Airport Security Screener because of the "rules."

Considering my husband and I live is different states...

Aha.

DH uses a mail order pharmacy that sets up a packet of pills for each day and time, morning, lunchtime, bedtime, whenever, with the right pills sealed inside and labeled with the scheduled time and contents. When we take a trip he just grabs the packets he needs. He also loves that he can take just a packet or two for when he is at work or if we are just going out for a few hours. It also helps him keep track if he misses a dose.

Works really well for us.

JoJo

This is not correct. There is no US federal law requiring prescription medications be in their original bottles. The law only requires you be able to show proof of prescription.

Here is a link to CBP's guidance on medications.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5MzUxOTMyNy9zaWQvTURPVUgtTmw%3D/search/1

This topic comes up all the time on CC. It's up to the traveler to decide what is prudent but the fact is, the law does not require original packaging.

How many cruises don't stop in a country other than the USA? My last three cruises have all require a flight over an ocean and clearing customs and immigration in a country other than the USA. It might not be a problem if you are getting on a closed loop cruise in Miami. Not so much if you are traversing through any number of countries. Try telling customs in UAE that you don't need a prescription and pills in their original container. Let's see how far that gets you.

How many cruises don't stop in a country other than the USA? My last three cruises have all require a flight over an ocean and clearing customs and immigration in a country other than the USA. It might not be a problem if you are getting on a closed loop cruise in Miami. Not so much if you are traversing through any number of countries. Try telling customs in UAE that you don't need a prescription and pills in their original container. Let's see how far that gets you.

My post wasn't about the UAE. It was about the USA.

Most of our cruises are 14 days or longer. Our longest was 33 days. My husband takes 10 after breakfast pills, 5 after dinner pills. I buy bitty ziplock baggies from SciPlus.com and after putting one week's supply in two pillcases I put the rest of his daily after meal allotments in those, put all those little baggies into a quartsize ziplock bag along with a printout of all his Rx's. never had a problem, even when we've been randomly chosen for customs in Jamaica as well as in a European country. There is no way we'd carry those huge 90 day supply original bottles. And with V.A. Pharmacy you take the size they give.

I like your plan very much. Much better than daily pill cases. You would need a small suitcase just for all the daily pill cases!!:D I am going to look for those tiny ziplock bags! Thanks. :)