cove balcony

Marlene43

The only reason not to book a cove is if you want to get sun on your balcony.

other than that we loved them. It's the only balcony we will book.

Remember to make sure you don't book one under the galley

We love cove balconies. i do understand they aren't for everybody though. While we love being closer to the water, they are a bit more closed in, making them a bit more private, and depending on the time of day, a bit more shaded. Nothing like sitting on your balcony in the morning, hearing the water and having a cup of coffee or breakfast. Another possible drawback is that they do tend to have more salt film on the railing and seats. You may want to wipe them down before sitting or leaning on the rail if that sort of thing bothers you.

Looking a pros and cons, we will choose a cove every time!

considering booking a cove balcony on the magic. We do like the lower decks, but not sure about the cove

If you use the "Search" function on here, you'll find numerous opinions about cove balconies. Personally, we love them. There are a number of things to consider. A cove balcony provides more privacy than a standard balcony. You're closer to the water, so you have a better opportunity to see dolphins, flying fish, and other fish when they surface. When in port, if you cabin is facing the pier, it's a great place to watch for pier runners. Location is very important. Try not to select one that is directly below the galley, due to overhead noise. Studying the ship's deck plans is very helpful in selecting the cabin you want. We had one on the Breeze last year, and have chosen one for our upcoming cruise on the Vista. Do keep in mind that, because the cove balconies are recessed, you won't get very much direct sunlight. So, they're not a good choice if you're hoping to get a good suntan.

considering booking a cove balcony on the magic. We do like the lower decks, but not sure about the cove

Book the Cove!:)

We have done Suites, Aft Balcony, Port/Starboard regular balconies, Forward "J" Cabins, OV etc...

We just finished our Magic cruise 2 weeks ago, and had cabin 2361. Our first ever Cove Balcony. :D We spent more time on this balcony than any other balcony we have had before!

Cabin 2361 is just forward of the mid-ship elevator bank. But it is below the NL restaurant, not the Galley.:) Any cove balcony forward of the mid-ship elevators, should be a good option (IMHO). Perfect location for all activities, up or down. You are just a few steps away from most everything but the Forward Theater, even then just a short walk.

Suffice to say, on the larger ships, if a cove is available (not under the galley), we'll probably book the cove, instead of any other cabin (unless of course the upgrade fairy comes a callin'):)

Edited by jwjax

We have had two and have loved it! If we have the option, we will always book the cove. Both of ours have been mid-forward. Loved the privacy, the feeling of being so close to the water, all of it. Great on sea days. I say try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Cove for the first time last year on the Magic. We loved every minute of it. Spend most of our time out there because we loved it so much. The only issue we had was a lot of water was on our balcony after every port and every morning. So we had to mop the water out once or twice a day. I was told that was a unique issue with just our joining balconies. Didn't bother us at all though.

Edited by BrotherCraig

We booked a cove on the Dream a couple of years ago and just booked one again on the Magic for 2017. We loved it. We are not sun seekers and loved the shade he life boats provided. Like others have said, avoid the galley. Only other issue was the 1st night out we could hear the stabilizers being deployed. Not a big issue but was a different noise. If one is available we will always book it. We even turned down the chance at a suite this time just to stay in the cove.

Go ahead and book it, you will love it. I'm a mid ship 7th or 8 th floor balcony or suite girl and my husband talked me into one on the Vista's maiden voyage. It was great. It is so much more private and being closer to the water was nice. Yes, there will be salt on the railing but having the privacy is worth it.

Love the Cove ! Spent more time on a Cove. It's like having another room. Easy to see flying fish. Trying an aft extended in Sept but Cove in 2017 already booked. Will book them whenever available.

Cove balconies are the only type of balcony we'll spend the extra money for. If we're not on a ship that has them, we book interior. They are fantastic. Being that close to the water, you have amazing views. We've seen dolphins and flying fish both times we've had a cove. We have one booked on the Breeze this December, and we're turning Platinum next December in the exact same cove balcony room (2264) where we took our very first cruise. Book it, you won't regret it!

Edited by watermelonqueen99

We had a cove balcony on the Breeze last year. Loved it. I like watching the water up close rather than going up to the higher decks.

We had some cloud to cloud lightning late on the last night of our most recent cruise and it was really something to see. Had an outside stateroom so I could only get some pictures from the window. Would have liked the cove balcony then.

Have one one the Vista next year, too.

I loved, loved, loved the cove we were in last fall on the Dream! I honestly don't think I could ever book a different type of balcony on a ship with coves. Being that close to the water is what crushing is all about, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think we are in the very small minority of cruisers who don't like the cove balconies.

While the proximity to the water is great, we just didn't like having to wipe down all surfaces every time we went out there....not just railings, but chairs, tables...even the floor was sticky with salt spray residue.

We won't book one again.

While the proximity to the water is great, we just didn't like having to wipe down all surfaces every time we went out there....not just railings, but chairs, tables...even the floor was sticky with salt spray residue.

thanks for the reminder; i'll bring extra wipes for that.

I think we are in the very small minority of cruisers who don't like the cove balconies.

We won't book one again.

This just a guess, but it sounds like you may have had a forward cove balcony, where mist from the bow wake would spray your way! Other than that , rough seas may explain the mist!

This is just my guess, but, please enlighten me as to where the mist came from? Simply so that I can avoid the mist in the future.:)

We had a mid-ship cove, and never had an issue with mist, and did not have rough seas.:confused:

Absolutely loved our cove balcony on the Magic, and have the same one booked on the Breeze for March. I did a ton of research ahead of time, and went with #2276 -- It's about 6 staterooms behind the forward lifts, way forward of the galley, and has no lifeboat overhead (so gets more sun.) It was just perfect!

Any pair of ear plugs should get anyone through the noisiest galley above a Cove balcony night.

I have slept through fireworks demonstration and half of a Gigantour (heavy metal concert) w ear plugs in. I didn't mind the fireworks, but I nodded off during a change of bands and missed 3 bands (2 of whom I wanted to see) in Gigantour!

Personally I love a Cove due to its proximity to the water. Other balconies feel more "hotel-ish" and a Cove feels more like you're a sailor.

Thanks for all the positive comments - I was wondering if the cove was for us - sounds like it's worth a try??

Did anyone have small children in this type of cabin? Did it feel closed in or actually safer than a traditional balcony cabin??