Pre-cruise Ramblings...

We love Tremont in Galveston because we like to bar hop for a couple hours at the cute little bars in downtown-- play pool, listen to live bands, etc. We also enjoy the rooftop bar at our hotel when the weather is nice. But we pay the price for the Galveston hotel because it's part of our vacation experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Tremont House is a great, stately old hotel . It is on the National Register of Historic Places and is wonderfully restored.

It's sister hotel, the Hotel Galvez on the seawall is great also.

Both are pretty pricey but do offer good values for the money !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never cruised out of Galveston have always done the FL ports (Port Canaveral is my favorite). We have made MANY drives back and forth from FL to MI, MI to FL and so on. We are living in MI now and just made a trip to panhandle FL this past weekend, it's about 16 hours each way.

As some others have said pack drinks and snacks it will save you a ton in both time and money for the drive. Also a suitcase with only the stuff you need for hotel stays makes it MUCH easier, you don't have to lug in ALL of your stuff and worry about it. We have been doing this for a while now and it makes our lives much easier. If your wife is like mine she will pack for a 2 month vacation :D for the cruise and it's much quicker to grab one or two of the smaller suitcases than it is to lug in the one that has 1400 pounds of clothes in it. I'm just joking about the packing but the dedicated is a LOT easier.

In Cozumel we have done Carlos and Charlies many times and to be honest beaches will be at each port you stop in so make the best of it and pick what you are going to do where based on if you see anything else you like.

We have had many people cruise with us over the years (friends and family) and all of them ended up loving it once they got on the ship and into that relaxed vacation mode. We have been trying to talk our best friends into going but haven't been able to so far, we get the oh I get seasick and stuff. I tried to explain a 20 foot boat is NOT a cruise ship. One of my close friends gets seasick also and he LOVES cruising, doesn't bother him at all on the ship.

Best tip I can give you about the long drive is take it easy, stop when you have to sleep when you need to and don't push on just to get somewhere. Make it a safe drive and a sane drive.

Best overall advice I can give you is HAVE FUN AND RELAX. It's vacation don't think you need to do EVERYTHING, I started out doing that the first one I was on years ago and then it hit me...... This is the BEST vacation ever I will do this again and then I can do these other things... Sadly we won't get to cruise in 2017 (unless something pops up we can't refuse) but we are looking to do 2 in 2018, I have been looking at April and then again in either August or November, first one will be with family and second one we are planning is with our friends.

The bottomless bubbles package is a good deal if you like to drink soda, we do and we got it for our daughter on our last cruise. If nothing else I would pay for it again just to see her walk up to the bar again, climb up the chair and order a Shirley Temple with 3 (not 1 or 2) EXTRA Cherries and a pink umbrella and then give the man her card and write her name on the slip when gives it to her. I always made sure they are tipped but even without me following up they ALWAYS made sure she got what she wanted and treated her like royalty. :)

The bottomless bubbles package is a good deal if you like to drink soda, we do and we got it for our daughter on our last cruise. If nothing else I would pay for it again just to see her walk up to the bar again, climb up the chair and order a Shirley Temple with 3 (not 1 or 2) EXTRA Cherries and a pink umbrella and then give the man her card and write her name on the slip when gives it to her. I always made sure they are tipped but even without me following up they ALWAYS made sure she got what she wanted and treated her like royalty. :)

Love this! So many people say they've gotten bad service at the bars with their Bottomless Bubbles... the only bad experience I ever had at a bar was on the Lido Deck when I was trying to PAY for an alcoholic drink! Never had any fuss over the BB card.

I love hearing about your baby girl acting all grown up! It made me smile- not 1 or 2 cherries, but 3!!!

I'm one who loves a good road trip. Grew up that way, Dad was US Air Force with lots of vacation and being stationed around the world, was more economical to road trip, especially in Europe. To this day I fly only when I must for work, timing or destination. LOL can't road trip to Puerto Rico!

I am also a planner, there is nothing better than planning trips, I am such a geek that way. I have spreadsheets and cost out routes, hotels, stops, timing, basically everything to see how close I can get time & cost wise and usually am within $100.00 from start to finish. To me it's part of the trip.

We did a girls road trip & cruise that we (mainly I) planned from start to finish (Toronto, Nashville, New Orleans, Biloxi, Panama City and a 4 day cruise out of Miami) was an 18 day extravaganza and the other two that went with me couldn't believe how easily & well it all went. I was bang on with the costs and we each got back $20 left over from the gas money!

Anyway, I see lots of good suggestions, packing snacks, etc. However, just one thing, do not pack fresh fruit to bring into the US, even if it's from the US. Customs is very, very picky, will seize the goods and can fine you. Years ago I brought a single Florida orange sliced into quarters, last one in the fridge and was going on a long road trip, well, long story short and luckily the sticker was still on the peel, got a 20 min lecture, but no fine! It's the seeds they don't want imported, otherwise, any standard dry packaged goods/drinks will be fine.

Never cruised out of Galveston have always done the FL ports (Port Canaveral is my favorite). We have made MANY drives back and forth from FL to MI, MI to FL and so on. We are living in MI now and just made a trip to panhandle FL this past weekend, it's about 16 hours each way.

As some others have said pack drinks and snacks it will save you a ton in both time and money for the drive. Also a suitcase with only the stuff you need for hotel stays makes it MUCH easier, you don't have to lug in ALL of your stuff and worry about it. We have been doing this for a while now and it makes our lives much easier. If your wife is like mine she will pack for a 2 month vacation :D for the cruise and it's much quicker to grab one or two of the smaller suitcases than it is to lug in the one that has 1400 pounds of clothes in it. I'm just joking about the packing but the dedicated is a LOT easier.

In Cozumel we have done Carlos and Charlies many times and to be honest beaches will be at each port you stop in so make the best of it and pick what you are going to do where based on if you see anything else you like.

We have had many people cruise with us over the years (friends and family) and all of them ended up loving it once they got on the ship and into that relaxed vacation mode. We have been trying to talk our best friends into going but haven't been able to so far, we get the oh I get seasick and stuff. I tried to explain a 20 foot boat is NOT a cruise ship. One of my close friends gets seasick also and he LOVES cruising, doesn't bother him at all on the ship.

Best tip I can give you about the long drive is take it easy, stop when you have to sleep when you need to and don't push on just to get somewhere. Make it a safe drive and a sane drive.

Best overall advice I can give you is HAVE FUN AND RELAX. It's vacation don't think you need to do EVERYTHING, I started out doing that the first one I was on years ago and then it hit me...... This is the BEST vacation ever I will do this again and then I can do these other things... Sadly we won't get to cruise in 2017 (unless something pops up we can't refuse) but we are looking to do 2 in 2018, I have been looking at April and then again in either August or November, first one will be with family and second one we are planning is with our friends.

Our family of 5 went on our first cruise last month and we drove from Green Bay to New Orleans. I was planning to use a suitcase for just the hotels on the way down but then I read on here where someone had done that and all their cruise luggage was stolen out of the vehicle while parked in the hotel parking lot. We decided we didn't want to chance it and ended up hauling ALL of our luggage (5 suitcases, 5 backpacks, 2 duffel bags, 2 carry on type bags, and a laptop bag) up to the room both nights on the way down. Thankfully, both hotels had luggage carts so it made it a lot easier. We did bring an empty duffel bag to put all our dirty clothes into so it was easier to keep everything dirty separate from our luggage. It was great, then we just hauled the duffel down to the laundry room when we got home.

• 2 months later...

298 days until cruise

We are under 300 days!! I haven't posted here in awhile, and thought I would update. Being under 300 days I feel that we are getting there pretty quick, and we have a lot of stuff we need to buy. We still need some luggage for the kids. We are still deciding if a roof top carrier for the top of the van would be a good idea. We are also deciding on whether or not to buy a plug in cooler for the fan for drinks, and maybe some food on the road.

We have booked parking at ez cruise in Galveston. They had a $15 off promo code so we jumped on it. We have also nearly decided to go to Playa Mia in Cozumel. Just trying to decide who to book it through. We are also going to go to the royal palm beach club in Grand cayman, and likely just look around the port and mostly stay on the ship in montego bay.

Beware - Royal Palms beach club in Grand Cayman pool is adults only (18 and over) due to insurance coverage. The kids will be very disappointed if they see the pool and can't swim.

Interesting. The website I was using offered a children's price. I will need to look closer.

298 days until cruise

We are under 300 days!! I haven't posted here in awhile, and thought I would update. Being under 300 days I feel that we are getting there pretty quick, and we have a lot of stuff we need to buy. We still need some luggage for the kids. We are still deciding if a roof top carrier for the top of the van would be a good idea. We are also deciding on whether or not to buy a plug in cooler for the fan for drinks, and maybe some food on the road.

We have booked parking at ez cruise in Galveston. They had a $15 off promo code so we jumped on it. We have also nearly decided to go to Playa Mia in Cozumel. Just trying to decide who to book it through. We are also going to go to the royal palm beach club in Grand cayman, and likely just look around the port and mostly stay on the ship in montego bay.

I enjoy reading your posts!! Time is going by....I would definitely pack some "food for the road" We travel without kids but always have some snacks...etc...and a bottle of wine for the hotel room....pre planning makes things so much easier! I would think a regular cooler with ice would work...you can always refill it each day...Our next cruise is a little more than three months away and I am already impatient!

You do not have to reserve a cabana to enjoy all that Royal Palms has to offer.

Enjoy all of the facilities *at The Royal Palms. For our cruise ship guests admission is $2.00*(children 10 and under are free)*and you can enjoy all aspects of the property. Please keep in mind that*due to our insurance the pool is 18 and over. Children are permitted in the pool area.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! I think I better do some looking into why I can't pick my check-in yet. Thank you. Have a great cruise.

I do not mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if you happened to find anything out? We can't select any times for check in as well. My sister told me that it opens up approx 6 months prior, but obviously she was wrong as the OP was able to do it...wouldn't be the first time she gave me incorrect info ;p

I enjoyed reading through your 'ramblings' (in so many ways I am reminded of my family) and will be following along as the time creeps closer! We leave exactly a month after you, with my husband, 3 children, my brother and his girlfriend, and my sister. The cruise is a surprise for my husband and kids, so I am planning all alone as my brother does not believe in planning anything for vacation and my sister gives unreliable information (see above post). LOL. Double bonus since I am learning so much with regard to Galveston/Houston and all the ports.

You probably don't need to book Playa Mia through anyone. Generally the beach clubs you can just grab a taxi outside the port and they will take you there, and then have one bring you back. They have van taxis, too, for more people.

I am going on my 3rd cruise first for my husband and I am excited and on these boards all day at work. It will be the first cruise where I can actually do stuff than I want to do. Instead of with a group of people!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I am a first time cruiser. It will be well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

258 days until cruise

We are getting closer and things are starting to move faster, and we made a major change in the route we are going to take. All along we had planed on heading mostly west day one going though Indianapolis into Illonios and then south. Because of weather we have decided to head mostly south day one going down i-75 to Cincinnati and then to Louisville Kentuckey day one. We figured going south day one we will escape winter sooner.

We have booked a few hotel rooms now. We have booked a place just south of Louisville Kentucky for night 1. We have also booked a Best Western in Seabrook Texas the night before the cruise. We still have to book night 2's hotel. It will likely be in Texarkana on the texas, Arkansas border.

In grand Cayman we have decided to take the bus up to Calico Jacks and go to the public beach there and have a few drinks and lunch at Calico Jacks. It will be a cheap easy beach day.

bmar808 - My PVP said that I probably won't be able to pick a check-in time until 180 - 200 days before the cruise. I keep checking daily though. Luckily I have FTTF already so that relieves a little of my anxiety in selecting a time.

We have not cruised out of Galveston so I don't know the situation there but have you factored in parking your vehicle while on the cruise??

In some ports there are stay n cruise rates at hotels where you pay for 1 night lodging and they let you leave your car there during the cruise. Otherwise you usually have to pay a per day charge at the cruise terminal if there is a parking lot there.

We only sail out of galveston because we can drive. There are several hotels that offer free parking during the cruise. Be sure to make a reservation as rooms go quick.

258 days until cruise

We are getting closer and things are starting to move faster, and we made a major change in the route we are going to take. All along we had planed on heading mostly west day one going though Indianapolis into Illonios and then south. Because of weather we have decided to head mostly south day one going down i-75 to Cincinnati and then to Louisville Kentuckey day one. We figured going south day one we will escape winter sooner.

We have booked a few hotel rooms now. We have booked a place just south of Louisville Kentucky for night 1. We have also booked a Best Western in Seabrook Texas the night before the cruise. We still have to book night 2's hotel. It will likely be in Texarkana on the texas, Arkansas border.

In grand Cayman we have decided to take the bus up to Calico Jacks and go to the public beach there and have a few drinks and lunch at Calico Jacks. It will be a cheap easy beach day.

Canadaman111, when you get closer to your departure date I can provide you with some restaurant recommendations from Texarkana all the way to Galveston.

If you need to park your car during the cruise the Port of Galveston has a parking lot at 33rd street and Harbourside Drive that offers a discount for advance bookings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

258 days until cruise

Canadaman....time wil continue to fly and you'll be cruising before you know it...always exciting to make hotel reservations....haven't look at a map but makes sense to head south asap due to possible winter weather...as usual enjoy your reports on your cruise plans:)

Canadaman, I read your original post, and bits and pieces of the replies. You picked the right ship. My wife and I have cruised Victory, Breeze, Liberty, Dream, and Conquest and the Breeze was by far our favorite. We are returning to her this August. We live in Michigan, right across the border from Ontario. We have never considered driving, but it sounds like you will be having quite the adventure. I am sure you have been reading the boards here, so I won't give any "first time cruiser" advice, but I will wish you the best of luck!

Canadaman, I read your original post, and bits and pieces of the replies. You picked the right ship. My wife and I have cruised Victory, Breeze, Liberty, Dream, and Conquest and the Breeze was by far our favorite. We are returning to her this August. We live in Michigan, right across the border from Ontario. We have never considered driving, but it sounds like you will be having quite the adventure. I am sure you have been reading the boards here, so I won't give any "first time cruiser" advice, but I will wish you the best of luck!

Flying was our first choice, but the prices for 6 are just crazy. So we will make the best of the drive. I am looking forward to it!!

• 3 weeks later...