Best Caribbean Dolphin Experience

Chanman76

Hi All,

Just wondering what would be the best excursion in the Caribbean for actually swimming with Dolphins? (Not sure if you can actually swim with them or not but hoping we can) The OH has always wanted to do this and would be nice to surprise her with an excursion which offers this?

Many Thanks

Hi All,

Just wondering what would be the best excursion in the Caribbean for actually swimming with Dolphins? (Not sure if you can actually swim with them or not but hoping we can) The OH has always wanted to do this and would be nice to surprise her with an excursion which offers this?

Many Thanks

Google "Royal Dolphin Swim Cozumel" (tried putting the link here but it won't do it). It was the best excursion we've ever been on.

Edited by Tarheel_Cruiser

We did ours in Grand Cayman and booked the Dolphin Swim & Stingray City through the ship. We had a great time! Both the DH and I did it along with our 8 and 12 year old kids. It was expensive and be warned that most places charge a lot extra for the photos (you are not allowed to take your own).

They did have a Dolphin Encounter package also, but you don't get to swim with the dolphins. Make sure you get the Swim package, we were able to hold the fin and pulled through the water as well as being pushed by a dolphin while on a Boogie Board.

Have fun!

We did the Royal Swim this time last week at Chankanaab in Cozumel (just took a cab there having booked online, cheaper then NCL excursion to Dolphinaris and NCL to Dolphinaris didn't offer the Royal Swim either). This is the photo of my son doing the foot push - now my new favourite photo! :D

13305159_10153638028288597_6385219203548480083_o.jpg.3cc582895cf12008e8bc88a8f21f914c.jpg

Our family also went to Chankanaab in Cozumel and swam with Lilly. :) DS was 8 and DD was 10 at the time and it was one of the most memorable, exciting times on our cruise! :cool: The gentleman who talked us through several interactions with Lilly was pleasant. We were with another family that wasn't (or so it seemed) as excited/happy(?) as us, but... The experience was just out of this world and I personally was so grateful to have experienced such an awesome animal and get to have a truly once in a lifetime event, albeit too short! :) The pictures they charge are crazy expensive so be prepared, and you are not allowed to bring your camera with you. We also booked directly online and did it well in advance for a cheaper rate. You choose a time that suits you and around that spend the down time snorkeling, eating some fabulous mexican or walk their gardens etc.. Chankanaab is a wonderful place!! The website can give you much more info, as this place has in my opinion a lot more going on than just dolphins. Just google Chankanaab.

Chakanaab is where we went. Daughter SWAM with the Dolphins. Husband and I did the Manatee encounter. Once we arrived at the park we were offered an upgrade for $30 each we could all participate in each others adventure/encounter which included the buffet (btw buffet alone was around $13) PICTURES ARE EXPENSIVE! But since you can't take your own camera into the water what choice do you have IF you want to capture the moment. Once in a lifetime I fed the manatees and hugged a Dolphin ... Yes I BOUGHT ALL OUR PICTURES!!! [emoji16][emoji383][emoji171][emoji227] 761cdb37d9d90395b77c7fc343cd5e71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went to Blue Lagoon in Nassau about 4 years ago and it was amazing! It's a beautiful place and so clean and the employees are so nice and funny. They have lockers and nice bathrooms as well as a gift shop. The pictures are expensive but I thought it was worth it. They also do a video for you. We went through the ship and felt very rushed. I would love to go back and spend the entire day there.

March 2016 we went to Dolphin Cove in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The actual swim was amazing! We did the Royal Swim with 2 dolphins. I think we were in the water about 45 minutes. Our 8 year old did it too and loved it! My husband also swam with the sharks and string rays. The trainers are awesome and fun but the rest of the employees are really pushy. They don't do a video and pictures are expensive. I think it was $128 for the pics of the 3 of us during our swim but there are probably over 100 of them. They are really great pictures though! Although, the dolphin swim was completely wonderful, I don't think I would spend much time doing anything else here. The bathrooms were clean and they did have some lockers but they fill up quick. They also have food, drinks and a gift shop.

On a side note, we aren't picky people and have never done an excursion where we haven't had fun. Everything is what you make of it! Have fun!!!

Edited by sns1009

I bought this for my mother for her birthday (she really wanted it, I didn't). I found booking on line and calling will usually get you a lot better rate- I think I got 30% off without doing anything more than going "oh maybe I'll just buy one instead of two". I also found that if you're going on a trip with multiple parks, they're all owned by the same company, and each location is a slightly different price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went to Blue Lagoon Island (Nassau port) and loved our dolphin swim there as well as the island.

Just wanted to add that we were allowed to take our own pictures at Blue Lagoon. My DD and myself did the swim & my DH just bought an observer pass - he took pictures & video and I also used a waterproof camera myself. In the end, we still purchased a couple pictures & the video from Blue Lagoon also. We booked independently and this was in 2011, so the rules could have possibly changed. ImageUploadedByForums1465823613.555097.jpg.0fe077b838057f7429b551cc6edaaeac.jpg

Find any activity other than abusing animals for recreation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Need that *LIKE* button...

Best dolphin experience is to simply be fortunate enough to see them in the ocean - at sea - and it happens often -research the area beforehand and seasons etc -

I hate Dolphin experience excursions :mad:

Its like paying to have the monkey to have the monkey on your shoulder photograph - or an elephant ride :(

same thing ....

Edited by Blondie008

We did Dolphin Discovery in Tortola. Dolphin Discovery has multiple locations across the Caribbean. I booked directly with the company (called them on the phone, very pleasant and spoke perfect English) because the excursion offered by NCL was expensive and the only thing you could do was to stand in the water and pet and kiss the dolphin.

My wife and kids did the Royal Swim. This included petting and shaking hands/fins. Then there were two swim activities. One was the Dorsal Swim, where two dolphins swim up to you, you hold on to their fins and they pull you through the water. The other was the Foot Push, where you lie flat in the water, the two dolphins push you by your feet and propel you through the water. Sometimes you can end up almost standing.

We didn't buy any of their pictures. I stood at the observer platform and took my own pictures and video. Contrary to what others have posted before about Dolphin Discovery Tortola, I never got the hard sell to buy the pictures and they didn't get upset or refuse to call me a cab when I didn't. It was a very fun activity and my kids said it was the highlight of their trip.

Find any activity other than abusing animals for recreation.
I realise that many people do not approve of dolphin swims... but that wasn't the OP's question. The OP wanted to hear about people's experiences with dolphin swims and some opinions as to where the best one is in the Caribbean.

The OP did not really want to hear people's opinions that they think dolphin swims are abuse. Maybe you can start a new thread about that if you care to?

I realise that many people do not approve of dolphin swims... but that wasn't the OP's question. The OP wanted to hear about people's experiences with dolphin swims and some opinions as to where the best one is in the Caribbean.

The OP did not really want to hear people's opinions that they think dolphin swims are abuse. Maybe you can start a new thread about that if you care to?

Or perhaps they'll think about the wisdom of crawling on top of and getting "kisses" from a trapped and abused intelligent animal living in misery. We've moved on from orca shows and circus elephants so there's always hope.