Iceland

We have a couple of days in Iceland on a cruise during next year. We are wondering if it is necessary to carry Icelandic Kroner or are US dollars or Euros accepted in restaurants, taxis and the like?

Thank you

Mike

Kroner if you prefer cash. Otherwise, credit cards/debit cards can be used everywhere without a fee imposed from the merchant. There is an ATM for money exchange conveniently located in downtown area. I think it's on Austurstraeti across from Landsbankinn.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

We spent 8 days in Iceland in 2014. We did a Iceland/Ireland cruise this past May and then returned to Iceland for an additional week before flying home.

This question has been asked before, and some posters report seeing prices in shops quoted in both the Iceland kroner (ISK) and other currencies. I didn't recall seeing prices posted in anything other than ISK when on our 2014 trip. So during our cruise last month and the additional time we spent after our return to Iceland I paid particular attention to pricing. The only time I saw anything priced in a currency other than ISK was when we were Isafjordour in a casual restaurant where there was a rack of handknit sweaters priced in both ISK and US dollars. But I also am not a souvenir shopper so there could have been signs at cash registers citing exchange rates between ISK and dollars or Euro, and I wouldn't have seen them.

We have never had any difficulty locating ATM machines, and also use US credit cards which don't charge foreign transaction fees.

We have a couple of days in Iceland on a cruise during next year. We are wondering if it is necessary to carry Icelandic Kroner or are US dollars or Euros accepted in restaurants, taxis and the like?

Thank you

Mike

We just got back June 2 from a 4 day stopover in Iceland. Used our credit card for everything including the hotdogs at Baejarins Beztu Pylsur. Never once used any currency. Had a great time in Iceland.