Overpacking

lbfluffy

The waterproof shoes is a good idea. However I only have sneakers, sandals and dressy boots. I'm wondering if I have time to find some waterproof shoes. Maybe I'll check our local sporting goods store.

I bought an inexpensive pair on Amazon. They will also double as garden shoes when I get home.

We leave the 23rd (wahoo!!!) for Fairbanks. We have a 6 day land tour followed by a 7 day southbound. We are taking one "carry on" size each to follow us around on the land tour and one moderately large (not our largest) bag to meet us on the ship. It should be plenty.

I will also carry my small day pack that I often take ashore as we will need to have something small that stays with us to carry valuables, meds, etc. and you can't take the carry on sized bags on the bus/train. They are trucked to the lodges.

Thrak, which ship are you sailing on?

I think we have done about a dozen b2b Inside Passage cruises out of Vancouver. From day one, we way overpacked. Business Suit, Tuxedo, Sport Jacket and ties. No I take the sport jacket and do just fine.

My suggestion would be to pack a little less than you think you will need, and budget a little more money than you think you will need.

I feel for the OP. Here we are 75 days away from our next cruse, and packing is on my mind too. I am already starting to separate travel stuff.

When we cruise, I buy all new men's underwear and socks. Then I leave it all home. I pack all my old stuff, and discard most of it before flying home with all of our new treasures / junk.:D

Edited by BumperII

Leaving for Norwegian fiords this wk

Packed summer & winter clothing

Walking stick, boots , sweatshirt etc

And assortment of casual dress for MDR

I sent my baggage on ahead last wk, it is now in Southampton ,GB

Waiting to be delivered to my Cabin this wk

My carry on includes a gore tech rain jacket and portable steamer to take the wrinkles out of my clothes that have been in that suitcase for 2 wks

Leaving for Norwegian fiords this wk

Packed summer & winter clothing

Walking stick, boots , sweatshirt etc

And assortment of casual dress for MDR

I sent my baggage on ahead last wk, it is now in Southampton ,GB

Waiting to be delivered to my Cabin this wk

My carry on includes a gore tech rain jacket and portable steamer to take the wrinkles out of my clothes that have been in that suitcase for 2 wks

We are doing similar Norwegian Fjord cruise next summer and want to send our baggage onto the ship in Southampton as we're planning to do some precruise touring. What company did you use tor luggage valet?

Just returned from one week cruise Whittier to Vancouver. My 3rd Alaskan cruise... I should have known better. I completely overpacked. Do not go through the packing ordeal by saying to yourself outfit Monday night, outfit Tuesday day, outfit Tuesday night, etc. You will re-wear many things. You will wear many of the same things because they are comfortable. I wore less than two-thirds of what I brought. And I only packed one large suitcase. We had good weather and we had a little bit of rain. It was never chilly except for one day and Glacier Bay. But even that was tolerable with just a sweater and a rain jacket. Even if you have to do a couple pieces of laundry on board, it's doable. And quite frankly they do a great job. Do yourself a favor and do not overthink it. I could kick myself for yet a third time lugging too much stuff back and forth. And for the record, formal night was hardly formal. I have done 26 Princess Cruises and this was the least formal of all formal nights. That said we did have fun dressing up and taking pictures, but certainly the second formal night was not well attended and most people just wore nicer clothes but not formal wear. Have fun on your cruise. Alaska is awesome.

We have been to Alaska 3 times cruising and once driving... Between June and September... Never had to wear a heavy coat... Don't pack heavy jackets... Layer things! If you are a freeze baby bring long underwear, long sleeve t shirts hoodies Etc... You can always buy a jacket there . The last cruise we went on was june of 2013 and it was 100 in Fairbanks...

Packing for Alaska. My sweaters and sweatshirts are bulky. I'm going to need to do some scaling back. I keep being told by you awesome members that layers are the way to go. So I've also packed turtlenecks and t shirts, as well as my long pants. I'm not packing a bulky jacket, but a fairly warm windbreaker. Oh then of course the dinner clothes. Ugh!! Oh and then shoes!!

We actually found it more difficult packing for a 12-day MEDITERRANEAN cruise than we did for a 7-day Alaska. For Alaska I recommend two pairs of jeans. You can always wash onboard in the laundromats. One sweatshirt. You can always buy an extra sweatshirt onboard or in port and it's fun to have a souvenir sweatshirt. I always being one thin Northface Polar fleece pullover or zip up. It can get quite toasty in Alaska, like 70 degrees in Juneau in July twice, (and 42 degrees and sleet the other time)

Sometimes all I need are cargo shorts, flip flops and sweatshirt

Other times, long pants, three-in-one jacket, ie, the kind that has a zipout fleece lining, leaving just a windbreaker. Intact, it serves as a nice, warm, bulky jacket for cold weather. separately, the components are just right.

Basically, one pair tennis shoes, another closed pair, Teva's, one formalwear pair of shoes. Jersey pants and sparkle tops for evening

Many t shirts, and I'm good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've slowly been trying to plan out clothes for our alaska cruise next week too. It's definitely a daunting task, especially since it's our first cruise ever, and my husband has challenged me to using carry-ons only since we have to fly out to Seattle. I feel your pain! Lol

My DH does that to me all the time as well. Next time he mentions it, I am going to leave everything he used out and tell him to congratulate me for getting everything in two carry ons. Oh I threaten ... and one day, I will do it.

We have been to Alaska 3 times cruising and once driving... Between June and September... Never had to wear a heavy coat... Don't pack heavy jackets... Layer things! If you are a freeze baby bring long underwear, long sleeve t shirts hoodies Etc... You can always buy a jacket there .

I would imagine the warm clothing needs of someone from Minnesota probably varies greatly from someone from south Florida. :D:D:D

That said, I take layers. Tech tee, sweater or fleece, and a windproof/waterproof shell. Add/remove as needed. For Glacier Bay, I take a down puffer jacket - incredibly warm, but packs down to nothing. I can squish it down into a quart-sized ziploc bag and it takes up no room at all.

Packing for Alaska. My sweaters and sweatshirts are bulky. I'm going to need to do some scaling back. I keep being told by you awesome members that layers are the way to go. So I've also packed turtlenecks and t shirts, as well as my long pants. I'm not packing a bulky jacket, but a fairly warm windbreaker. Oh then of course the dinner clothes. Ugh!! Oh and then shoes!!

Had a pair of ladies cruising on a Princess ship this week that, between the two of them, had 8 suitcases. :eek: Bet they had you beat! :D

Tom

We are doing similar Norwegian Fjord cruise next summer and want to send our baggage onto the ship in Southampton as we're planning to do some precruise touring. What company did you use tor luggage valet?

I used luggage forward, picked it up on time

I can track its whereabouts

I wll let you know re condition when it arrives in my cabin o June 18th

We travel everywhere (sometimes up to six weeks) with one carryon each and a backpack. That way our luggage is always with us when we arrive and if we have to make a quick change of flights, we are able to do so quickly and easily. I always feel like we have plenty of clothes and I don''t think anyone ever really notices anyways. When we went to Alaska, it was early in the season and cold and rainy.....I used a water proof (not water resistant) jacket with long underwear and a turtle neck underneath. I was fine. I didn't think to take gloves and wished I had as my hands were cold. The way I pack is I take about six tops and six bottoms that are mix and match. That way I have 36 different outfits which is more than plenty. For formal nights I wear a long black skirt (wrinkle proof) and a couple of thin fancy tops....I would really only need one but often take two. I wear my jacket and biggest shoes on the plane and I use compression bags to give myself more room on the suitcase. I only take one set of workout clothes and one bathing suit. I often just rinse out my clothes in the sink in the sink and hang them in the shower to dry....or we use the ship's laundry service. Doing it myself isn't to save money---I just don't like dirty clothes and it's easy enough to rinse them out. As far as shoes, I take a pair of flip flops, a pair of shoes I can wear in the gym or for walking and a pair to wear with my dressy clothes. My husband carries his navy sports coat on the plane and takes a windbreaker (he doesn't get as cold as I do) and he wears the sports coat with navy pants on formal night. We also know that if we ever need anything, we can buy it on shore or on the ship. Alaska is amazing.....hope you enjoy your trip.

I would imagine the warm clothing needs of someone from Minnesota probably varies greatly from someone from south Florida. :D:D:D

Yes I would have to agree! Our minnesota balmy is probably cold in FL!

Layers work great and it usually is above 55 or 60... The last cruise it was warmer than MN !

My standard wear for Alaska (and used in Norway too) was a long sleeve T-shirt, lightweight fleece jacket, and then good waterproof breathable rain shell/jacket. I wore with jeans or convertible pants most days on the ship and in port. I take my down jacket as well and wore outside during glacier viewing on a few trips. I wore chacos when it was warm enough for footwear or waterproof shoes. Sierra trading is a great place to find footwear. If all else fails, spray your tennis shoes with some waterproof stuff.

For night wear, I have a few dresses that pack up small and then pants that I would wear during the day paired with a dressier top. I only take 1-2 pairs of "dress shoes" and could get by on one pair. I found the dining room to be less dressy although we generally only visit a few times on a cruise. We eat a lot in the buffet or a specialty restaurant.

I don't think I have worn any sweaters or sweatshirts on an Alaska cruise. I typically buy a hoodie as a souvenir so would wear that if needed.