Let's "Talk" (School) Christmas Break Cruises

Please don't try to convince me to book when the kids are in school, because that is NOT going to happen.

We are considering a family (grandparents, their kids and the grandkids) cruise, and that week prior to Christmas Day seems promising. I would consider leaving a couple of days after Christmas, too, but that might be too chaotic for those whose children still want to be at home with their Santa toys.

I realize that not everyone celebrates Christmas, and I have no interest in this thread becoming a religious debate, but I do want to know if the ships are decorated for the holiday season. More than likely, we would cruise out of New Orleans or Mobile, so that would mean Fantasy, Triumph or Dream.

Also, are there any holiday shows or dinner themes that we might get to experience?

Any experiences (positive or negative) that you can share with me concerning mid-December cruising?

Yes, the ship will have "holiday" decor.

Yes, they will have a "holiday" themed show at the main theater with songs from the "season".

Yes, a guy with a red outfit and a white beard will make an appearance.

Yes, the will have a lighting ceremony of a chandelier.

Yes, they will go out of their way not to use the "C" word or other words that could be associated with a specific religion. [emoji6]

We sailed in December aboard the Fascination out of Jacksonville a few years back and it was an enjoyable experience. Not only because of the Christmas decor and activities onboard but also because the ports of call had Christmas decor as well.

As mentioned above, it seemed like they were trying a little too hard not to use the word "Christmas" on their Fun Times or loudspeaker announcements, but when you actually attended the shows, they sang obvious Christmas songs.

Weather was absolutely spectacular. 100% clear skies during the entire cruise but it was chilly at times. The temperature was in the 30's when we left and it peaked in the low 70's when we arrived in Nassau. Just an FYI so that you're aware that temps may not be super warm when you sail during the winter if you've never done it before. [emoji846]

Edited by Tapi

We sailed right around December 15 one year, and there were only 15 kids on board. We were told that it was not uncommon to see very few kids on board the sailing or two before Christmas since families who are travelling at that time are likely to hold off til the kids are out of school. It almost felt weird to us.

Weather/temperatures in the latitudes of Florida and the "northern Caribbean" can be iffy in December. You just never know - it can be anything from bathing suit to sweater weather.

My suggestion would be for everyone to take a lightweight "Wind and Water Resistant" jacket just in case. Adding a sweatshirt underneath and they're nice and warm and, with the layers, everyone will be comfortable regardless of the temps.

We took a family cruise around Christmas a few years ago. Left 4 days after Christmas and returned home the day before school started back up in January. The ship was still decorated when we boarded, but the decorations were all down by the time we disembarked.

I would recommend going before Christmas Day if you can. My kids did not like leaving all the new toys behind and really hated the fact that they had to go to school as soon as we got back home. It was also hard going back to work and not only having vacation laundry to do, but also having to worry about taking Christmas decorations down. Looking back, I think it would have been nicer to be onboard for Christmas and then have some additional time off before heading back to school.

I think this is a great time to go. We always have WAY too much "christmas" happening that week before, so we always go after - except one year we made it work, and it was very pleasant. Decorations are up, people are in a good mood. Crowds are there, bu not as bad as after Christmas.

Just did Freedom of the Seas RCCL for a NYE cruise. It was jammed - i mean jammed - to the gills with families and kids everywhere. It was fun, but really crowded, and crazy.

We will be on the Vista for NYE coming up. I expect large crowds and lots of kids. i would say your time frame will be very enjoyable. There was a gingerbread village, and some holiday decor - but no holiday themed shows.

Original post - Please don't try to convince me to book when the kids are in school, because that is NOT going to happen.

We are considering a family (grandparents, their kids and the grandkids) cruise, and that week prior to Christmas Day seems promising. I would consider leaving a couple of days after Christmas, too, but that might be too chaotic for those whose children still want to be at home with their Santa toys.

I realize that not everyone celebrates Christmas, and I have no interest in this thread becoming a religious debate, but I do want to know if the ships are decorated for the holiday season. More than likely, we would cruise out of New Orleans or Mobile, so that would mean Fantasy, Triumph or Dream.

Also, are there any holiday shows or dinner themes that we might get to experience?

Any experiences (positive or negative) that you can share with me concerning mid-December cruising?

Edited by siestaclaud

We've done quite a few cruises during the "holiday season" (late November-ish through the end of the year). Most ships have quite a bit of holiday decorating.

The one notable exception: we were on the Breeze during Christmas week last year and there were very few decorations....certainly much less than any other ship we've been on during December.

There were some holiday-themed events.... a holiday show, a tree-lighting event, etc. (This has been true of every ship we've been on around Christmas, not just the Breeze....there's always been some extra holiday-related events.) Wee Jimmy (the cruise director on the Breeze) even officiated a religious service himself on Christmas day because Carnival hadn't planned anything.

A lot of passengers really get into it: we saw tons of door decorations (not sure how that would go now that Carnival supposedly started cracking down on flammable decorations). We brought a small artificial Christmas tree (with lights) and Christmas stockings, which we hung in our cabin. Throughout the whole cruise, and especially on Christmas day, we saw families wearing holiday clothes, Santa hats, etc. One family (three generations) came to brunch in the MDR wearing matching pajamas on Christmas morning.

We did bring a small number of presents for our daughter to open on Christmas Day on the ship, and filled the stockings we had brought, but she understood that we were going to do a "second Christmas" when we got home and she was fine with it. We brought extra cards for our waiter, room steward, etc. and gave them an additional gratuity....one of our assistant waiters was very touched by it because she said that she only had received two or three cards (from family and friends), so she had put up our card in her cabin.

Edited by MMLEsq

We were on Dream out of New Orleans last December 6-13. The ship was fully decorated for Christmas and the holidays. With the Carnival association with Dr Seuss, there were special appearances throughout the cruise by the Grinch, in addition to Santa Claus.

Go for it!

We haven't cruised with Carnival during the holidays, but we cruised on a Princess ship out of Houston a couple years ago with our young adult children (one of whom happens to have a Christmas birthday). I was a little concerned with the ship being inundated with kids, but I must say there were plenty of places for us adults to get away and the kids that were on board were well-behaved.

The ship was decorated so beautifully and there were lots of Christmas-themed events--caroling by the crew, gingerbread house decorating, a visit from Santa with gifts for the kiddos, etc. It was SO MUCH FUN!

The ports we visited are probably similar to what you visit out of New Orleans--Cozumel, Belize City and Roatan. The weather was perfect in each of those places--warm and sunny. We snorkeled in Roatan; did a river cruise and toured Mayan ruins in Belize and spent a day at Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

Edited by GradUT

We've cruised twice right after the new year, and the decorations have still been up ( I think we left on Jan. 3 once, and Jan. 2 the other) They also made it snow in the Atrium one night. I expect there might be a little more going on before the holidays.

Following this thread for sure! We booked the Magic for Christmas and will be waking up on it Christmas morning! Wondered about crowds, activities, etc., and whether or not it will still feel like Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've done quite a few cruises during the "holiday season" (late November-ish through the end of the year). Most ships have quite a bit of holiday decorating.

The one notable exception: we were on the Breeze during Christmas week last year and there were very few decorations....certainly much less than any other ship we've been on during December.

I will be going om the Breeze this Christmas (Dec 18-26) and I hope that I will not be disappointed with the decoration [emoji51]

I will be going om the Breeze this Christmas (Dec 18-26) and I hope that I will not be disappointed with the decoration [emoji51]

There were some decorations (I am MMLEsq's other half *grin*), but it was certainly less then we've seen on other ships. For example, there was not a single decoration in the MDR, just two small trees outside the door leading in. We saw one smaller set of gingerbread houses by the stairwell on the Lido deck above the atrium, where we usually see more elaborate things. There were some things hung in the atrium, a big tree, and assorted things around the ship. It wasn't like nothing was there, just a lot lesser then we've seen in our past December cruises.

Please don't try to convince me to book when the kids are in school, because that is NOT going to happen.

By the way, with the odd placement of Christmas this year (being on a Sunday), a lot of places are NOT off the week before Christmas this year. Instead doing the week after Christmas, and the week after New Years. (I know our school district isn't, and seen a few others as well).

We did the Magic 2015 NYE cruise out of Galveston leaving a few days after Christmas. The ship was still decorated, but obviously no Christmas activities. I think the dates you have planned is a great time to sail.

I wouldn't do Galveston again as the both times we have sailed from there (NYE & Spring Break) the weather sucked. Both debarkation days it was cold windy and raining. This most recent time the last day at sea was the same. So several days of no deck time.

Once we got out of the gulf the weather was great. The NYE cruise the farthest south we got was Key West and Nassau with both having great weather.

We lived on the Gulf Coast for 20 years (Mobile for 17, Gautier MS for 3) but now are in TX. Have been on 2 Christmas cruises & decided to make it a family tradition in the future. The first was 2014 on the Magic -- BEST Christmas EVER! Last year on the Triumph, not quite as amazing, but still worth doing. If there is a willing clergy member on board, you might have a Christmas service in the chapel.

At the best (on the Magic in '14), it was fabulous! Beautiful lavish decorations, ship employees wished us "Merry Christmas" everywhere we went, "snow" in the atrium with everyone singing Christmas carols. They passed out Santa hats to all the passengers. There were special performances, including with passengers' kids performing songs they learned in Camp Carnival. A lovely traditional Christmas dinner. Christmas morning, we woke up to a surprise -- Huge tree by the pool, trimmed with towel animals! And there were also towel animals on many of the pool-side chairs. They also piped in Christmas music. There was a jolly Santa. It was really magical! It did not seem crowded & everyone seemed to be in good humor.

The Triumph wasn't quite as well done. I don't know if the cruise director didn't personally care for the holiday or if there had been cut backs fleet-wise on Christmas celebrations. But if we hadn't experienced the really great Christmas the previous year on the Magic, we'd probably have thought it was very good. Cutbacks included less caroling (one session instead of two & only a couple of songs), Santa hats for children only, no Christmas music, no tree with towel animals, fewer employees wishing "Merry Christmas", skimpy decorations compared with the Magic in 2014. I don't recall if there was a Santa or not. The ship seemed more crowded than the Magic -- or even the Fantasy class.

It's definitely worth trying a Christmas cruise. We booked ours for 2016 back in January!

Edited by frangran

Following this thread for sure! We booked the Magic for Christmas and will be waking up on it Christmas morning! Wondered about crowds, activities, etc., and whether or not it will still feel like Christmas!

We will be cruising with you! The Magic on December 24th!! We are all very excited. I know there will be crowds, but it will be Christmas Day at sea and I don't have to cook or clean so I will deal with it. Can't be worse than the crowds that will run you over trying to leave the church parking lot....

Thank you to all who have shared their experiences. It sounds like Christmas Break would be a fabulous time to cruise. I am going to gather up some price estimates, so the family can look at it over this Father's Day weekend. This is something my parents (i.e. the grandparents) really want to experience with their children & families. Our biggest obstacle is going to be my school teacher SIL. Not sure what kind of (grading exams) deadlines she will need to work around.

I must say that the Dr. Seuss connection with the Grinch around the ship is something that a lot of us would just LOVE. One our favorite holiday movies.