Live from the infinity - June 12 a 19

DanaDanes

May as well let you know about my super awesome Ketchikan tour while I'm at it.

My husband went fishing with a few strangers-now-friends for halibut through strike zone charters, which they all enjoyed. I and my New Zealand friend decided on a helicopter tour. We used Ketchikan helicopters. The owner and pilot Ryan really was an all around quality person and we both raved about this tour.

Ketchikan sits in front of a mountain, the town is long but very narrow and hugs the coast. It is very commercialized. Flying into the clouds and over the ridge into Tongass was like crossing the space time continuum or something. The views were breathtaking.

We set down at a salmon stream and waited for bears (none today) and then took back off. Ryan is. A very skilled pilot. He skimmed us down a river and took us in close to a waterfall, showed us skittering mountain goats. Ryan's love for the area is obvious. Highly recommend this vender.

9303a49c5887fda3c276a499164c040e.jpg18c99842d260f57132714fa48259c168.jpg331321ad584f172e16ed926c2d62b765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi DanaDanes,

Thanks so much for your postings of your cruise and lovely photos. We will be on the July 31st Infinity cruise so it's great to know what to expect.

Going back to your post about the glacier caves trek.. was this part of a tour package that you went with like "Juneau Tours"? Or did you do this hike on your own at Mendenhall Glaciers?

Thanks everybody! The glacier track was an independent tour we booked with an outfit called above and beyond Alaska. I was not terribly happy with our Guide but the trip itself was very worth it and I'm glad I did it.

Sounds like a great tour! Did you see any wolves?

Is there a maximum weight?

Thanks for all your info!

I did not see a wolf but I did almost stepped on a Porcupine!!

I do not know about maximum weight. I would not think so, but there is definitely a minimum fitness level. You have to carry your own gear so if you can do a strenuous 9 mile hike with a 15 pound backpack you are good to go.

I did not see a wolf but I did almost stepped on a Porcupine!!

I do not know about maximum weight. I would not think so, but there is definitely a minimum fitness level. You have to carry your own gear so if you can do a strenuous 9 mile hike with a 15 pound backpack you are good to go.

Oops! I was talking about the helicopter ride! My bad! Any further details about it? It sounds great and we're thinking about doing it!

Oops! I was talking about the helicopter ride! My bad! Any further details about it? It sounds great and we're thinking about doing it!

Ha ha sorry that makes more sense now! The website for the touring company we used is Ketchikan helicopters.com. The owner Ryan could not have been a nicer person and the views were absolutely incredible. I would highly highly recommend that vendor. I do not know about a weight limit for that. The helicopter issmall but if there are just two of you I don't think it would matter. Just give him a call he is very responsive via email or phone

Ha ha sorry that makes more sense now! The website for the touring company we used is Ketchikan helicopters.com. The owner Ryan could not have been a nicer person and the views were absolutely incredible. I would highly highly recommend that vendor. I do not know about a weight limit for that. The helicopter issmall but if there are just two of you I don't think it would matter. Just give him a call he is very responsive via email or phone

Thank you so much for all your info and pictures! We can't wait! I'll contact Ryan and see what we can do!

Thanks again!

We have just got back from our Canada/Alaska trip. Infinity 19th to 26th. Must say cruise was fantastic and we were extremely lucky with great weather. to DanaDanes Looks like you were lucky enough to get a bit nearer the Hubbard Glacier than us even so it was an awe inspiring sight. When our jet lag subsides looking forward to reliving it all via photos. We always keep a journal while we are on vacation so we can be prompted as to what we have done

We leave July 3rd too to Alaska!

Laura and Steve.

Have fun!! I'm still hoping someone can take a picture of the Tuscan grill menu and post it! Thanks in advance if you get a chance to do so!!

Let us know what excursions you go on too!! Enjoy!

Thank you for your posts. How is the weather? What are people wearing to dinner? TX

I'm well off the ship now, but our weather was quite warm.

We were in luminae, so I can't really speak to the larger ship, but this seemed a very casual sailing. I think that was because all port days ended quite late, so people would hurry to dinner.

Well that failed miserably at using this as a diary of the things we did! I'll wrap up with a couple of other highlights:

Silent Disco: this was SO MUCH FUN. it's in the martini bar, the dj sets up and hands around headphones. You can select a channel from 3: Latin dance, 60s-2000s hits, or current music (last 3 years or so). Your headphones glow based on your channel.

Then everybody just danced. Like fools, like no one is watching. I have no idea why this concept works, it sounds horrible. But everyone loved it. I danced with a 10 year old boy. I danced with a 90 year old woman with a cane. I line danced with stockbrokers and with Indian women in saris. It was truly truly awesome.

Cafe al baccio: another huge winner with every single person on the ship. The coffee is phenomenal, as are the free pastry. The seats are so comfy.

The shows:

First night: comedian, pretty good!

boogie wonderland and star factory. Cute, poorly attended. Amateur in storyline but worth a watch. Some good talent.

Second comedian - did not like. Lots of jokes about cruising, old people, ethnic stereotypes. We left.

Ibroadway: best of the production shows. They do a few numbers from several well known hits (Saigon, phantom, cats etc. ). There are a few talented singers here.

Guest entertainment December 63 - Frankie Valli cover band/show. Everybody loved this group. Packed house, everyone sang along. Did all the faves.

In all I was pleased with the nighttime shows.