Live from the infinity - June 12 a 19

DanaDanes

Hubbard glacier day.

We were up early for Hubbard day. Husband did a run on the treadmill, I grabbed a coffee from al baccio and went to the constellation lounge to chat with Mickey and learn about the glacier and area. I ran into the male half of my San Francisco pals. He and I had a quick breakfast in the Aqua spa and then went on the helipad when it opened at 9. For whatever reason I couldn't text my husband which was frustrating as I wanted to experience the glacier with him. He finally found me on deck 11 after I had just given up finding him!

A word about our weather. It has been stunning. The pics above hopefully have show in. Temps in the 70s and not a single drop of rain, even in Ketchikan.

The glacier was unbelievable. Words cannot express. You just need to go.

We saw 5-6 calving events and were about 1.5-2 miles from the glacier. It's immensity is mind boggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DanaDanes, Again thank you so much for your post. I have truly enjoyed reading everything. And thank you for the Celebrity Today's. It makes me more excited for our Cruise in Sept. Hopefully we will be blessed with awesome weather like you have been. I bet you are a little sad right now knowing that you are on your last day. I bet you are thinking about the next one already. Have a wonderful Last Night and a safe trip home. :)

......Forgot to mention that prior to gym/my breakfast, we went to constellation to chat with mickeylive and dirk the naturalist. There were very few folks up there. Mickey gave us an awesome map to take with, marked up by approximate times we would be in certain areas that have seen heavy whale activity in the past weeks.

Reading this reminds me of how disappointing it was when the ship's navigational map on the TV was not working on the Infinity a few weeks ago.

I hope they had it fixed for your cruise.

That is one of the ship's most useful features, especially for an Alaska cruise.

It shows you right where your ship is currently located along the entire trip, so you can know what is coming up next and not miss the highlights because you were eating dinner or napping or playing trivia at that time.

It is also interesting to see when the ship deviates from the originally planned route and takes another channel instead.

I'd like to see any menus (Tuscan Grill) that you might have taken pictures of! Also, how was disembarkation? We are from the east coast too and are trying to figure out what time we should book our flight (how early in the morning). We need to fly back on the day we disembark.

Thanks for all your info!

Reading this reminds me of how disappointing it was when the ship's navigational map on the TV was not working on the Infinity a few weeks ago.

I hope they had it fixed for your cruise.

That is one of the ship's most useful features, especially for an Alaska cruise.

It shows you right where your ship is currently located along the entire trip, so you can know what is coming up next and not miss the highlights because you were eating dinner or napping or playing trivia at that time.

It is also interesting to see when the ship deviates from the originally planned route and takes another channel instead.

We were on the Infinity the week before and the navigation channel wasn't working :confused: At least we had the Internet so we used our GPS apps to figure out where we were. Hopefully it was fixed or will be soon.

Danes so glad you had the brilliant weather we experienced the week before. Part of me thinks it's Mother Nature's way of apologizing for what happened to Infinity on June 3

Joanne

DanaDanes, thank you so much! Your voice in these posts is amazing, and the info was awesome as well. We are doing this exact trip 6/26 and being basically first-time cruisers, had no idea what to expect. You rock!:cool::cool::cool:

We'll see you on the ship 5 Mile Smile! We are also boarding on the 26th :)

Hubbard glacier day.

We were up early for Hubbard day. Husband did a run on the treadmill, I grabbed a coffee from al baccio and went to the constellation lounge to chat with Mickey and learn about the glacier and area. I ran into the male half of my San Francisco pals. He and I had a quick breakfast in the Aqua spa and then went on the helipad when it opened at 9. For whatever reason I couldn't text my husband which was frustrating as I wanted to experience the glacier with him. He finally found me on deck 11 after I had just given up finding him!

A word about our weather. It has been stunning. The pics above hopefully have show in. Temps in the 70s and not a single drop of rain, even in Ketchikan.

The glacier was unbelievable. Words cannot express. You just need to go.

We saw 5-6 calving events and were about 1.5-2 miles from the glacier. It's immensity is mind boggling.

Dana how is the weather when you are viewing the glacier??? What type of dress should we prepare for on that particular day??

Dana how is the weather when you are viewing the glacier??? What type of dress should we prepare for on that particular day??

It was about 60 degrees, but with a cold wind coming off the glacier. I had in jeans and a wind resistant jacket and a cap and felt very comfortable. I hope your weather is as nice as mine!

I'd like to see any menus (Tuscan Grill) that you might have taken pictures of! Also, how was disembarkation? We are from the east coast too and are trying to figure out what time we should book our flight (how early in the morning). We need to fly back on the day we disembark.

Thanks for all your info!

We had a late flight, so we had breakfast at luminae then hit Michaels. We left around 930 in one of the later groups. It was a breeze. For American Airlines our flight choices were slim. I wouldn't book much before 1130.

We futzed around a bit, including some cake and coffee at cafe al baccio to enjoy the trip to hoonah.

As crews newbies it was cool to watch how the docking is handled. We debarked into the new pier area.

This whole area is truly well done. We were impressed by the cannery and museum which was really informative about both the tlingits and the rise of canneries/way of life as the area was settled. The grounds were immaculate.

We then joined our whale watching tour. We went on The Theee Wolves with capt. Dwayne and his nephew Andrew. I'll say right off I was skeptical and felt the tour was overbooked for the size of the boat. We were 24 total and 18 would have been better. That said our weather was insanely good so we were comfortable on the outside decks etc. had it been gloomy or very cold I would have been upset. As it happens the unique hill design made it very comfortable. The sides had comfy banquettes, and the huge Windows opened upwards so you could kneel and lean out. The boat ended up being excellent for the size group.

That said it was a lovely crowd and we made fast friends with a great family from San Fran and another from New Zealand and a big group from Florida.

And did we ever see whales! Over the 2 hours around point adolphis, I believe we saw whales surface and give tail about 40 times. One whale lobtailed for about 10 minutes, we saw a lunge and a partial breach. As we were coming in, a whale surfaced and

Was this a ships cruise or booked independently? Thanks so much! Will be on Infinity next month.

Also, how many Evening Chic nights were there and which nights were they?

Edited by cpl100

Was this a ships cruise or booked independently? Thanks so much! Will be on Infinity next month.

Also, how many Evening Chic nights were there and which nights were they?

We booked it independently. Saved about 30 per person. In this port there is NO reason to book through the ship that I can see.

There was only one evening chic night - second night, which was a sea day.

We booked it independently. Saved about 30 per person. In this port there is NO reason to book through the ship that I can see.

There was only one evening chic night - second night, which was a sea day.

Thank you. I see that company has good reviews. I've gone through this thread several times and can't figure out what you did in Juneau. Did you book a private tour there also? Thanks!

Thank you. I see that company has good reviews. I've gone through this thread several times and can't figure out what you did in Juneau. Did you book a private tour there also? Thanks!

That's because I started having too much fun and didn't write it!!!

In Juneau we went on the glacier ice caves trek with above and beyond Alaska. It was a 10 mile round trip hike on the west (opposite side of the glacier from the visitor center) side of lake mendenhall. It involved elevation Change of 2300 feet and was (to this slightly lazy person) very strenuous. One mile of pleasant forest hike on a nice path and then several miles of Boulder scrambling and difficult terrain increasing a dodge creek crossing. With amazing peeks at the vista along the way to keep is motivated.

Then down slippy gravel goat track to the glacier edge where we donned crampons and coats. Onto the glacier! This was amazing. Words cannot describe. We wandered the glacier for 45 minutes or so with guide, drank glacier water, peeked in moulins and crevices, scaled little peaks and felt the Arctic gale that whips down the ice. So cool.

Then we headed over to the edge and entered the ice caves, formed by erosion beneath the glacier. Otherworldly. This was the reason I took this ungodly hike on vacation!

Then we took a different route home, over and along a higher ridge, which thankfully had poles in the rock to assist the steep assent down. I was exhausted but proud.

a85fc7ec83aa9b7ebd5d01e55a4f4485.jpg