Food Poisoning on Majesty

This could also have been a food allergy that made him violently sick for half hour or so, then it can be violent headaches and such that can last a bit longer. Maybe there was something you are not aware that your son can not tolerate well. I never had most of mine until I put on a certain heart med, and the 1st days to month was a ride I wish on no enemy. I felt like I had a low grade flu and throwing up for the first week over several different foods that I never would of guessed I had an in-tolerance to[emoji35].

I know on Brilliance they were using a mustard/horseradish on the roast or cooking something with it next to and it got into part of the roast and I know my allergy of mustard/horse radish started haywire, but thankfully not to much, but it could've been a lot worse for me. I am very cautious when I eat stuff at mainly WJ. I just for me I avoid the MDR.

I am glad I can check off Majesty off my too do list and got out of the 4 days unscathed. The issues I saw on her were not great. She needs a lot of TLC, so hopefully it has or should've been done. I believe she is out of her major overhaul. I hope they put fire retardant tarps over those lifeboats because that was a major fire hazzard; since some pax just have to break the rules and smoke on balconies! GS was warned and nothing happened. No desire to take a jaunt on Empress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Are you a Dr? Were you there to diagnose the OPs son? What qualifications, medical degrees and experience do you have to make such a statement?
First of all didn't ask for your input, secondly YOU will get no information from me, google food poisoning.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really! I have little doubt it was. Most likely Staph, Bacillus Cereus or C perfringens. E coli is the only likely culprit that would last a week (in particular E coli o157:H7, which has been implicated in undercooked GROUND beef, but not solid cuts).

Most likely was from a sauce or side. Staph in particular can partially contaminate. As such, thirty people can eat a casserole or other mixed dish, but only one will get sick. It doesn't "spread" through the dish.

Most staph food poisoning results in a violent but brief illness that is actually shorter in younger patients, because it takes less time to flush out a smaller system. So one protracted bout of vomiting and diarrhea can clean a kid out. Then they're wiped out with a fragile gi tract for a couple hours. But unless they try and eat too much too soon, they won't likely get sick again.

Have to disagree with you.

It was most likely not the strip steak. It is virtually impossible for any food borne pathogen to enter into solid cuts of meat (invade the muscle) such as a steak. Given that it was cooked to medium rare, any harmful bacteria on the surface of the steak would have been killed. If it was food poisoning, it would have been from another source.

You are correct with one exception. If the chef used a meat tenderizing method of piercing the meat with spikes or pounding with a hammer, this can drive the surface bacteria into the center of the cut.

There is a long list of foods that may get one sick. A cut of meat is near the bottom. Ground meat would be near the middle or top.

Not true food poisoning, as an above poster put it, ALERGY to something, I have a cruise bud who occasionally eats something on a cruise ship that does the exact same stomach issues as the OP's son. His is more of a shell fish thing, but not every type of shell fish or even fish, he does eat most of common types served on the ship, strange.

Glad to hear rare steaks are GOOD to eat, if is not cooked just enough not to moo, I would not be happy.

I had a similar experience on the NCL Dawn after eating at Cagneys. Exactly 6 hours after eating dinner I got sick, which lasted about 5 hours during the night. It could've been anything I ate for dinner (shrimp cocktail, wedge salad, steak with sautéed onions) but I really don't think it was the steak bc I couldn't finish it and my father ate the rest of my steak but took the onions off the top. Food poisoning? I don't think bc it didn't last long and I was fine the next day. I know people who've had food poisoning and it lasted more than a few hours. Knocks you down for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Godiva830

In this thread: No physicians.

Because they are the only ones smart enough to know that without seeing and examining the patient there us no way to positively tell what the patient actually suffered from. Everyone rise is just guessing.

What I find amusing us that people do get sick from time to time even on dry land and life goes on.....the same thing happens on a cruise ship and its either food poisoning or Niro.

Because they are the only ones smart enough to know that without seeing and examining the patient there us no way to positively tell what the patient actually suffered from. Everyone rise is just guessing.

What I find amusing us that people do get sick from time to time even on dry land and life goes on.....the same thing happens on a cruise ship and its either food poisoning or Niro.

There you go with that common sense thing again. :D

Not a Doctor, and never played one on TV... But anytime I have had food poisoning that was diagnosed/confirmed by a doctor, it did last longer than 10 minutes... felt awful for hours and pretty much just camped out in the bathroom. On the other hand, my father had an allergy to mushrooms, and if he ate some in a sauce or soup or something at dinner without knowing, he would have a short but violent reaction (sudden onset nausea) sometime after midnight. Then he'd be fine. Not scientific or anything, but that does sound more like OP's son's experience.

On a separate note, On all our cruises DW and I have never ordered or eaten a steak medium or more, and have had absolutely no issues at all. To us 'Medium' is approaching the shoe leather point, and if that was our only choice, we'd just order something else.

In this thread: No physicians.

Even the assumption that it was food related is subject to dispute.

Bottom Line - No one knows. OP should be thrilled that ten minutes of discomfort was the worst they experienced on the cruise.

What's sad about his is the title of the thread. The title implies, without any proof whatsoever, that something terrible happened on Majesty and the staff was to blame.

To those that have expressed sympathy for my son, thank you. He's 8 1/2 and I've never seen him in that much pain from being sick.

In the 9,000 or so meals that I've seen him eat throughout his lifetime I've never seen his body react the way that it did that night… Nor has any stomach virus ever caused him to suffer the same pains he endured for hours until it eased up. To clarify what I meant by 10 minutes… That was the violent vomiting. He vomited until there was nothing to vomit anymore…and he was heaving after that and nothing was coming out. The stomach pains first appeared about 6 hours after the meal...the violent vomiting started about 2 hours after that… And the stomach pains remained hours past the vomiting.

He ate nothing out of his typical foods (just fruit and steak that night as he has eaten many times before)..he doesn't use sauces nor does he have any allergies. We ate mostly the same food that day… The only thing different was that steak .

The vomit was all over me and my wife that night… But we never had a single symptom of anything after that. If it was viral, I don't know of any medically possible way we avoided getting it.

I don't wish that on any of you...I hope ALL of you have sickness-free cruises. :)

To those that have expressed sympathy for my son, thank you. He's 8 1/2 and I've never seen him in that much pain from being sick.

In the 9,000 or so meals that I've seen him eat throughout his lifetime I've never seen his body react the way that it did that night… Nor has any stomach virus ever caused him to suffer the same pains he endured for hours until it eased up. To clarify what I meant by 10 minutes… That was the violent vomiting. He vomited until there was nothing to vomit anymore…and he was heaving after that and nothing was coming out. The stomach pains first appeared about 6 hours after the meal...the violent vomiting started about 2 hours after that… And the stomach pains remained hours past the vomiting.

He ate nothing out of his typical foods (just fruit and steak that night as he has eaten many times before)..he doesn't use sauces nor does he have any allergies. We ate mostly the same food that day… The only thing different was that steak .

The vomit was all over me and my wife that night… But we never had a single symptom of anything after that. If it was viral, I don't know of any medically possible way we avoided getting it.

I don't wish that on any of you...I hope ALL of you have sickness-free cruises. :)

The poor little man could well have been the under cooked meat reacting with his little immune system plus if it was hot for a few days throw in a bit of dehydration vomiting and the crap arriving the other way ie should your head be in the loo or on the loo is the body's way of getting rid of stuff that does agree with it id say it was a mild case of food poisoning though it's amazing how much crap a little person can throw up over u

Just my .02. I just sailed on the Majesty last week. I thought I food was outstanding in both the MDR and the Windjammer. Sorrentos was outstanding as well. No complaints here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poor lil guy. :(:(:(

I'm not sure you'll ever really know the cause of it... it certainly could have been any number of things. As a parent who has also has a few vomiting stories, I empathize. Sorry you all went through that.

My problem was with the title of the thread...

"Food Poisoning on Majesty"

Who knows if this is what it was? Perhaps using the word "Possible" would have helped.

By making this definitive, but unproven, accusation, the OP is attacking the Food & Beverage Manager, the Head Chef, Chefs, Cooks and everyone down the line. Indeed, they may all suffer consequences because of what is speculation.

Said enough. Sorry for the boy but the dad needs to understand the consequence of words. Words do matter!

Poor little guy :( it is no fun to be so violently ill.

Perhaps he had a reaction (food based intolerance) rather than food poisoning? IME nobody feels fine the day after food poisoning because of the whole body reaction (aches, fever etc). This link explains some of the symptoms which your son doesn't seem to have experienced:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/121114-signs-symptoms-poisoning-bad/

My son and husband both have food intolerances and your son's reaction sounds very similar to what my guys go through. Keep an eye on him in the future - this could have been a first reaction - these things can build up and come to a messy, painful head. My son was able to eat dairy until he was 7 and then he started getting sick after eating it. My husband has adult onset celiac disease (so he knows what he's missing out on).

We recently sailed on Majesty as it was the 4th Royal Caribbean ship we've been on. We love Royal, but the food quality & service in the MDR on Majesty was way below what we've normally experienced. The last night of our 4 night cruise, my son ordered a strip steak cooked medium. It came out more on the medium-rare side, but he went ahead and ate it anyway. I was a bit concerned about it simply because the quality of the food had been sub-par all week. About 8 hours later, my son wakes up moaning saying his stomach hurt and then he immediately got violently sick over and over for about 10 minutes. I'll spare the rest of the details, but he woke up fine the next morning and none of us were sick at all before or after that.

We then hopped on Allure of the Seas a few days later and the difference in food quality was astonishing. We ate many of the same dishes and there simply wasn't any comparison...it tasted fresher, better, etc. And nobody got sick! woohoo It was the Royal Caribbean experience we've grown to love and enjoy.

I share that simply to suggest not eating steak on a ship cooked less than medium. I'm sure the majority of the time it's fine, but I'll never take a chance with it ever again.

Sorry to hear of that, but I don't think what your son experienced constituted food poisoning.

A couple of years back, we sailed on NCL, and both my dear wife and my Dad got hit by some type of food poisoning towards the end of the cruise. They were ill for 3 days (in bed) with plenty of vomitting and diarrhea and got well only on the day we disembarked!

Poisoning implies that the body's immune system can't cope. The normal body reaction to spoiled food is to expel it. That is, vomiting. If overwhelmed, the body will try to expel toxins all along the gastrointestinal tract. That is, vomiting and diarrhoea. And yes, some toxins are worse than others.

Edited by Newby58

When one ingests a food borne pathogen, your body gears up to flush the system. This typically lasts for several hours once the organism is detected by the body. It takes a while for the immune response to shut down which is why one will go through several series of vomitting and/or diarrhea over several hours to several days depending on the organism and the level of that organism that is ingested.

Thank you!

Really! I have little doubt it was. Most likely Staph, Bacillus Cereus or C perfringens. E coli is the only likely culprit that would last a week (in particular E coli o157:H7, which has been implicated in undercooked GROUND beef, but not solid cuts).

Most likely was from a sauce or side. Staph in particular can partially contaminate. As such, thirty people can eat a casserole or other mixed dish, but only one will get sick. It doesn't "spread" through the dish.

Most staph food poisoning results in a violent but brief illness that is actually shorter in younger patients, because it takes less time to flush out a smaller system. So one protracted bout of vomiting and diarrhea can clean a kid out. Then they're wiped out with a fragile gi tract for a couple hours. But unless they try and eat too much too soon, they won't likely get sick again.

You have no idea, sorry.

Staph is usually a skin infection. Most of us have it on our skin flora. It only causes a problem when there is a break in our skin integrity. E Coli is usually a urinary tract infection from the bowel. Particularly when women don't wipe front to back.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Did you just look up Google?