Deck Chair Hogs

ScottC4746

It depends on the ship, on Jewel they were very strict in putting labels on loungers and removing belongings after a set time,

Interesting, I've never seen them actually put labels on things, but people have reported that multiple times, so I have no doubt it occurs. I've seen crew members take note of chairs like that and having things removed, but I've never seen a note or sign placed on the chairs.

This guy would stand on deck 17, and make note of when he saw chairs empty then he would radio down and have stuff removed.

smdeckpatrol.jpg

The guy above radio'd this guy.

smdeckpatrol2.jpg

I have a photo of the guy coming back 2 hours later and finding his stuff gone :)

Edited by BillOh

I second the balcony! However, I do love getting up in the morning, grabbing a cup of coffee and a roll, and watching the hogs trying to claim the best spots in the pen. It is like a free show!

Bing Bing, we have a winner. This photo, I've never been yelled at for posting is one of my favorites, I wish I could take credit for it, but I saved it from around 2007. This is from Freedom, note the time on the clock that really adds to this photo.

chairhog.jpg

I also have a couple pics of a woman giving major attitude to one of the pool police, needless to say she did not win her argument and the chair was handed over to someone else who had been waiting.

Great photo's thanks for the photos of what I haven't seen personally, but heard about. I'll bet his lady said, "I was only gone 20 minutes"

I second the balcony! However, I do love getting up in the morning, grabbing a cup of coffee and a roll, and watching the hogs trying to claim the best spots in the pen. It is like a free show!

Like that approach................Balcony breakfast is the best.............

It was certainly a problem recently on Adventure southern itinerary...the deck patrol was very active though (don't usually see that) putting little post-it's on the bottom legs of the lounge chairs with a time written on them...and saw many towels and items being taken up to the towel station...good for this particular crew :D

Thumbs up for Adventure. I've thought of bringing a bag to the pool. Placing saved items in it. Then, enjoying the lounge chair, and if someone makes a claim in a reasonable amount of time; apologize for my mistake giving them back their chair. However, if it's been longer than the "allowed" time for the lounge to be vacant; I'll give them the bag with their left items in it.

Does this sound reasonable to others?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to combat this problem? It seems pretty annoyoing to me.

It is more than annoying! It's fine to hold one for a bit knowing your spouse or a friend is coming soon, but I'm not shy about handing an attendant someone's "lost" property if it's obvious a bunch of lounges are being "reserved" for later use and are the only ones available. I usually have a bloody at the Seaview Bar about 9:00 a.m. and it's amazing how many people must come before breakfast to put something on a chaise lounge. If you want a reserved spot, rent a cabana!

i love this topic, most season cruise know this is a issue and is usually groups of friend that don't think twice about it cos their on holiday.

My partner is one of those lazy cruises that will get up way before me and go have a big breakfast then head to the pool area and find a great seat near the pool and there he stays for the day.

he will only leave his seat for a food top up and the very odd swim. headphones in listening to his tunes he sits and people watches. i find this great cos i alway have a base around the pool area to leave my things and if a lounger is available ill have a little lay down (about an hour is my sit still factor).

unlike others he is the last to save a seat, in fact I've been know to come back from a swim or a wonder and he has invited someone looking for a chair to take mine, I'm not currently using it!!!

i think he meet more people than me doing this.

My other observation is that there is not area or even lockers to leave your things in to take a swim and i often wonder if that is why some people leave items on chairs? I think a locker area to leave thinks like sea pass, towels, watches, glasses etc would be great, just a thought.

sylva

You've got a great guy. Some of us have suggested cubbyholes on our post-cruise surveys. Some malls near me would have a kids' play area with a set of cubbyholes for shoes. Don't know why the cruise lines don't try this idea out.

On my last cruise, I wanted to watch a movie in the shady area of the pool deck. Finally found a chair that had a shirt and paperback book on it. I asked the others sitting in that area if they knew whose stuff it was. Everyone shook their head. I asked if some of them have been there for at least 30 minutes (which is the time listed on the signs on Princess ships regarding deck chairs) and got some nods. So I removed the items and placed on a nearby table, saying, "You didn't see that." Got some laughs. Sat down to enjoy the morning movie and over 30 minutes after that, a woman showed up and sheepishly removed her stuff. If confronted, I had two responses prepared (either shrug and say nothing was on this chair when I got here...and by the way, you might want to look at the sign on that post....or say, if I'm brave, you snooze you lose, and BTW, please look at that sign).

Happened on my last cruise too. We were on Serenity Deck, and I watched one man claiming 5 chairs... several people attempted to use them, but he waved them off. Approx 2 hours later I took one of them dragged it over for the DH; chair hog didn't say anything but did give me a sneer. Shortly thereafter, couple members of his party showed up. His wife (I assume) chewed his behind for not saving all the chairs. They all sat there for about 20 minutes then left. How nice he hogged those chairs all afternoon for his wife to use for such a short time.

I have not run into it myself. I did see an argument across the pool with some chair hog. The dope made such a sceen everyone that saw this episode did thier best to avoid him. He may have been too dense to get the message but i got a kick when people moved away from him at the pool bar etc.

I like those photis of the chair police!:D

I have not run into it myself. I did see an argument across the pool with some chair hog. The dope made such a sceen everyone that saw this episode did thier best to avoid him. He may have been too dense to get the message but i got a kick when people moved away from him at the pool bar etc.

I like those photis of the chair police!:D

I saw a great approach - someone removed a towel, book, sunglasses and bottle of sunblock from a lounger which had been vacant for at least half an hour - just left all the stuff on the deck and pulled the lounger to a different area: it was interesting watching the frustrated pouts on the face of the hog who had no one to blame when she showed up.

I saw a great approach - someone removed a towel, book, sunglasses and bottle of sunblock from a lounger which had been vacant for at least half an hour - just left all the stuff on the deck and pulled the lounger to a different area: it was interesting watching the frustrated pouts on the face of the hog who had no one to blame when she showed up.

Love it. Problem solved with no confrontation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is also my favourite solution!

It is annoying problem. Most cruises lines have rules. After a certain amount of time they remove untended property, I've almost never seen this done. What do you? Confront the person? Bad idea, have seen fights not pretty. Best bet Report it, let the crew handle it. If all else fails and its just the ship towels, swipe'em. They'll be charged 20-30 bucks for the towel. Just don't get caught.

HERE WE GO AGAIN! We have not had one of these threads in at least a week.

DON

...the comments are fun to read. Plus this time we've got pictures. :-)

Edited by mammajamma2013
Added another thought. Not that it was earthshaking or anything.

Maybe it's the nature of the Carnival Dream (my only recent cruise experience) with its tiny pools, but not only were there usually chairs (in the middle of June/July), but why in the world would anyone without a kid in the pool want that spot. There are so many better spots for chairs around the ship!

Is this really that big of a problem? I'm going on my first cruise in a few months and to be honest the at sea days represent my largest concern with cruising, mainly because of this type of stuff.

*edit* It might help to note that I'll be on the Carnival Dream. I also get up very early just out of habit and to be honest probably prefer to be more in the shade than in the sun.

Edited by fingolfin269