Was told fans/hairdryers were "illegal".

rangerdog

After having air conditioning issues last week on the Dream, we were at the Pursers desk taking care of a refund/credit they gave us on our account. As we were standing there talking to the lady, I made the comment that "I sure am glad we brought our table top fan". She quickly told me this was illegal and not allowed. I then proceeded to tell her that we had the fan and was not trying to hide it...it was clearly sitting on the desk, and all maintenance guys coming in to check our air, and no one said anything. She went back to check if they had anymore fans to check out to me, and they were out, so she told us that she would "shhhhhh" let us keep our fan. As we were talking, she also said hair dryers and power strips were also illegal. I proceeded to tell her that we've ALWAYS brought these items and no one has ever said anything. I was BAFFLED because this was NOT my FIRST cruise, and I'm always a rule follower and have never seen this! Well, I just checked the Carnival website and here is what I found....

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

Under "exceptions" - it says that hair dryers, power strips and fans ARE allowed.

Has anyone else been told this by a Carnival employee that doesn't know all the "exceptions"?? Anyone had things confiscated that were on the "exceptions" list?

Please note that after "power strips" it clarifies that only those without surge protectors are allowed. So basically only extension cords are allowed. Most power strips have built in surge protection which is definitely a no-no.

Edited by RjayB

Please note that after "power strips" it clarifies that only those without surge protectors are allowed. So basically only extension cords are allowed. Most power strips have built in surge protection which is definitely a no-no.

Yes, I know what the "disclaimers" read. Our power strips have no surge protectors and never have. I also know the "disclaimer" on the fans/hair dryers..."However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day".

I have been told things I knew to be factually untrue on many occasions in a variety of situations (but only once in many years/sailings with Carnival).

In the service industry, it's due to one of two things:

1. Ignorance on the part of the person stating the untruth (likely due to poor training or inexperience).

2. A tactic used to, on the one hand, patronize the guest into thinking they did something wrong while, on the other hand, seeming like the "good guy" by letting you have something you were entitled to anyway.

As we were standing there talking to the lady, I made the comment that "I sure am glad we brought our table top fan". She quickly told me this was illegal and not allowed.

Obviously she had no idea what she was talking about.

We've always brought our own blowdryer since the one supplied isn't warm enough....and the cord is barely long enough to pull it out of the drawer it is installed in. Can't even reach the top of my head without sitting on the floor !

We bring table top electric fans for each cabin...a blowdryer for each cabin....and a power strip. We don't hide them either and no one said anything.

I was under the impression if they look dangerous - frayed cords, etc - then they may confiscate them. I usually buy a new power strip & leave it in the store wrapping so if they see them during an inspection, they know they aren't old.

If hairdryers are "illegal" how come Carnival itself puts one in EVERY cabin?

If the carpet gets wet, guess what the Carnival staff use to dry out the carpets?

The person you spoke to did not know what she was talking about, which is likely why she would be in a customer service position to begin with.

Edited by Cuizer2

I have been told things I knew to be factually untrue on many occasions in a variety of situations (but only once in many years/sailings with Carnival).

1. Ignorance on the part of the person stating the untruth (likely due to poor training or inexperience).

2. A tactic used to, on the one hand, patronize the guest into thinking they did something wrong while, on the other hand, seeming like the "good guy" by letting you have something you were entitled to anyway.

I agree!!!!!

Hence the reason I carry a paper copy of the carnival rule specific to my fan, curling iron and power plug. They are all within the guidelines. My little fan only cruises, as does my clock which has additional plugs and a usb port. I have never been questioned but am prepared to defend my items.

Hence the reason I carry a paper copy of the carnival rule specific to my fan, curling iron and power plug. They are all within the guidelines. My little fan only cruises, as does my clock which has additional plugs and a usb port. I have never been questioned but am prepared to defend my items.

After 18 cruises, I have NOW printed that same page out and it's in my permanent cruise folder to take with me on board too. :D

My past 2 fans were both taken.

Told them I needed them to sleep. was told that no fans allowed, they took it from my room and I had to go get it on the last day at 6am.

According to the front desk, they have a limited number of fans that are carnival "approved" and are available at the front desk, and you have to have a drs note stating that you need one...

Yea, try telling explaining that to a woman who has hot flashes 20 hours a day...

I too bring a fan eveytime; however, a family member's fan was confiscated by her cabin steward (same story - not allowed, have to get one from Guest Services, etc). I've always been concerned that it could happen to me and tend to kind of put it away every morning before leaving the cabin - I just throw it in the little cupboard in the night stand where I have it sitting). Great idea to take a copy of the rules - I will also do that now - but, I'll probably still put it away - it helps to keep the cabin tidy anyway and I know I won't have to deal with explaining the rules to Guest Services.

This!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

My past 2 fans were both taken.

Told them I needed them to sleep. was told that no fans allowed, they took it from my room and I had to go get it on the last day at 6am.

According to the front desk, they have a limited number of fans that are carnival "approved" and are available at the front desk, and you have to have a drs note stating that you need one...

Yea, try telling explaining that to a woman who has hot flashes 20 hours a day...

Lmao too funny!

While reading your link, found this interesting tidbit with the CPAP stuff:

> For your convenience, distilled water is sold on board for $3.00 USD per gallon by contacting Room Service.

Good way of getting a giant bottle of drinking water.

While reading your link, found this interesting tidbit with the CPAP stuff:

> For your convenience, distilled water is sold on board for $3.00 USD per gallon by contacting Room Service.

Good way of getting a giant bottle of drinking water.

drinking distilled water is not a very good idea

drinking distilled water is not a very good idea

If you drink it daily for your life, yeah. If you drink it for a week you're grand. Though it does taste weird because it literally tastes like nothing. Yes even more nothing than bottled water.

(In case anyone's wondering why it's not great to live on distilled water long-term, it's because it's slightly more acidic than tap water which *might* be bad for you, and it also has none of the trace elements that non-distilled water has and your body needs those elements).

If you drink it daily for your life, yeah. If you drink it for a week you're grand. Though it does taste weird because it literally tastes like nothing. Yes even more nothing than bottled water.

(In case anyone's wondering why it's not great to live on distilled water long-term, it's because it's slightly more acidic than tap water which *might* be bad for you, and it also has none of the trace elements that non-distilled water has and your body needs those elements).

I think 12 bottles of water is on ship for 3.99

so you will pay 3.99 for 202 ounces so that's 1.5 gallons. seems better to just get the bottled water

On our last crew in May to Hawaii we bought fans while in port and they were confiscated when we re-boarded the ship stating they were not allowed. I have since read the exception list and printed it out for my next cruise where it states that fans are allowed. So hopefully I have no problems on my next 2 scheduled cruises!