Jade Athens and Santorini switch?

hoopslover

Need help to see if anyone has experienced the captain switching days for Athens and Santorini ports? Someone posted that on their cruise in May upon embarkation the captain informed the passengers that Athens and Santorini would be switched. We are booked in September and have private tours booked. Has this happened to anyone? One time deal or every cruise?

Donna

Need help to see if anyone has experienced the captain switching days for Athens and Santorini ports? Someone posted that on their cruise in May upon embarkation the captain informed the passengers that Athens and Santorini would be switched. We are booked in September and have private tours booked. Has this happened to anyone? One time deal or every cruise?

Donna

It happens, and often you won't know until you board. A lot of it has to do with how crowded Santorini is scheduled to be when you are supposed to be there, or if bad weather is forecast for that day.

When you book private tours that is a risk that you take.

Often the reason is a quoted by someone else, dock space and or weather.

At least you are getting to visit both ports. We were travelling Vancouver-Astoria-San Francisco-San Pedro (Los Angeles); what we actually did was Vancouver-Seattle-Astoria-San Pedro. Now that was annoying!!

Yes the switch happened on the cruise may 14th and it was me posting.

I had to cancel my rental car for Santorin.

The reason stated was an overcrowding of the Santorini port, on the scheduled day we would have been in port with 6 ships, making it impossible to get all tours on the road and the cable car would have been a madhouse.

With the switch it was only 3 ships and the wait for the cable car was around 20 minutes, line moves rather fast ...

many greetings

yes, we were also on the May 14 cruise with megaelch - our Athens and Santorini port days were switched around.

as we were doing our own thing at Santorini it did not have any impact on us except that there were less cruisers in Santorini on our 'new' port day - which we appreciated

The Captain did a great job on the May 28th -June 11th Jade cruise. Nearly all the ports we were there early and were cleared before the stated arrival time. The 2pm Santorini stop he got us there at 1pm to give people a chance to get tenders to shore and have plenty of time in the port. He told us the day before he was going to try and get us there at 1pm and he did. I was very impressed with the Jade Captain. I've forgotten his name, but he was from Croatia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on June 11 sailing and wish we had switched. Santorini was very clogged. The 2:00 arrival on the Greek islands itinerary should be fine, but the morning arrival for the Adriatic itinerary was a very hot and congested day.

• 1 month later...

Santorini indeed like a nightmare. 90 minute wait to get onto one of the cable cars and the same to come back down. 4 ships in at same time.

And its only going to get worse as cruise numbers increase and Turkish ports are off the itinerary.

It might be good business for some on Santorini but others are feeling the effect with hotels experiencing falls in bookings due to guests not wanting to stay in a place over-run with cruisers

When you book private tours that is a risk that you take.

Often the reason is a quoted by someone else, dock space and or weather.

At least you are getting to visit both ports. We were travelling Vancouver-Astoria-San Francisco-San Pedro (Los Angeles); what we actually did was Vancouver-Seattle-Astoria-San Pedro. Now that was annoying!!

When I book private tours, I always try not to pay upfront.

Hi

For those of you who sailed the itinerary that includes Santorini, the boat docks at 8am. Anyone know what the cable car line ups were like? How soon could you get off the boat?

My itinerary includes Santorini, but we tender at 2 p.m. The tour guides suggested it could take 1.5 hours to tender & cable-car.....they were saying the tour would start earliest 3:30.

This site will tell you which ships are in port, and what hours.... https://www.santorini.net/information/cruise-ship-calendar/ Actually...Google for another site,

this isn't the one I previously used and I have to log-off. The Jade is in Santorini on August 9th, but isn't on this calendar.

Edited by sjbdtz

Thanks for that link...interestingly enough I don't see the Jade on there for my sailing....makes me wonder if it will be updated later or if NCL just hasn't decided yet where they are going! I hope we don't do a last minute port change again (last time on the Epic we had a sail day because the Bahamas was overbooked or something like that).