Which Perk to Choose?

Newbcruiser1

Hello,

Looking for advice/opinions on which perk to choose for my upcoming Epic transatlantic cruise.

Let me preface this with some details... I am NOT a big drinker - in fact, I have gone full cruises without purchasing any beverages at all. Having said that, I sometimes enjoy having 1-2 drinks a day (if they're free, even better). Unfortunately the "free" beverage package has a $249CAD service charge on it... That $249 is more than I would spend on drinks onboard. So likely not worth it for me.

I sailed on the Epic 2 years ago and very much enjoyed the specialty restaurants that I tried - both the Brazilian and the Teppanyaki (and the sushi wasn't bad either). Service charge for the dining package is about $12CAD (negligible).

I will need Internet on the cruise after having been on the Anthem "hurricane cruise" in February - I need to be in touch with my family. The Internet package (250 mins) is valued at $150. No service charge there obviously. It's just a shame it's not unlimited.

My sailing only has 2 ports so the shore excursion credit is automatically out of the running as its not worthwhile.

So my question - which perk would it be most beneficial for me to select? I already picked the beverage package but I'm going to switch it to something else - either dining or Internet.

Thoughts on which would give me more bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance!

IMO, based on your comments - go for the Choice250 free WiFi minutes, valued at about $125 on the Breakaway last month.

As you might've read, NCL is about to upgrade and switch to faster/improved SpeedNet, upgrading satellite internet for better connectivity. It was NOT unlimited but to my surprise, it was actually based - on the Breakaway - on MB data used, regardless of minutes, so that 250 plan turned out to yield over 1,000 MB (setup actually as 1GB worth of data) and 1,000 minutes of usage, free & no extra charge. That was roughly 17 hours of usage as we had over 30 sessions, almost 2.5 hours of average daily usage.

If it's metered based on minutes alone, it will be worth less - our usage was very heavy in graphics. Had I been frugal, it would've last a lot longer with light usage. With access to a 2nd. plan of 1 GB worth of data, but ended up using about 500MB more only (total of 1.5 GB ship WiFi data) - it turned out to be nice deal for us.

With the new & shortened specialty dining menu, and unless you have the older plan covering all the evenings - the deal or savings aren't necessary great, as it's likely good for 3 or 4 days out of a typical 7 nights sailing only. The extra $$ is minimal but you will plan on having some broadband connectivity, except that you could possibly get by with a smaller 100 minutes plan. If you need more data connectivity during the cruise, you can always buy extra "airtimes" while onboard.

It is unclear whether under this data package upgrade, whether all the ships in the NCL fleet will completely switch over to MB data pricing instead.

Edited by mking8288

I hadn't read about the new service, otherwise, I would have suggested you may have wanted to spring for unlimited. Last April, I took the unlimited and ended up using over a 1000 minutes with fairly minimal use. Slow service even in the early mornings. When I booked the fall, 2017 TA, (same 13 day trip), I took the dining package which is only 4 dinners-which I believe may be the new standard. I got better booking the 2016 as prepaid daily service charges was available. The difference will more than cover unlimited internet, especially if we have until the third day to sign up (saves $50). Breakaway and Getaway (maybe Escape, now) featured the mb plan, but Epic was on the minute plan. Have no idea now. Yes, the shore excursion is worthless. There may be a connection fee (minimal $4/5 USD) on the internet plan. There was when I purchased a 30 minute package for an emergency in fall, 2014. All of my internet experiences are with Epic. For us, like you, the gratuities on the drink package would be more than we'd spend on food, coffee, and drinks.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I just read that, currently (who knows by the end of Oct), Breakaway is the only ship with mb plan. (https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages) It may have always been that way. That info may be out-dated as it lists 250 min plan for $125. (Prices subject to change, of course). Still, the internet plan is the biggest bang for the money.

Edited by Rhea98

Hello,

Looking for advice/opinions on which perk to choose for my upcoming Epic transatlantic cruise.

Let me preface this with some details... I am NOT a big drinker - in fact, I have gone full cruises without purchasing any beverages at all. Having said that, I sometimes enjoy having 1-2 drinks a day (if they're free, even better). Unfortunately the "free" beverage package has a $249CAD service charge on it... That $249 is more than I would spend on drinks onboard. So likely not worth it for me.

I sailed on the Epic 2 years ago and very much enjoyed the specialty restaurants that I tried - both the Brazilian and the Teppanyaki (and the sushi wasn't bad either). Service charge for the dining package is about $12CAD (negligible).

I will need Internet on the cruise after having been on the Anthem "hurricane cruise" in February - I need to be in touch with my family. The Internet package (250 mins) is valued at $150. No service charge there obviously. It's just a shame it's not unlimited.

My sailing only has 2 ports so the shore excursion credit is automatically out of the running as its not worthwhile.

So my question - which perk would it be most beneficial for me to select? I already picked the beverage package but I'm going to switch it to something else - either dining or Internet.

Thoughts on which would give me more bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you answered your own question...if the internet is what you need the most, go for it. Also, if you're planning on just touching base daily, 250 minutes should be plenty.

Enjoy your cruise,

Tracy

Sounds like you answered your own question...if the internet is what you need the most, go for it. Also, if you're planning on just touching base daily, 250 minutes should be plenty.

Enjoy your cruise,

Tracy

Exactly. There isn't a question from the OP. Just statements as to why they wouldn't pick anything except they need wifi.

There isn't a question from the OP. Just statements as to why they wouldn't pick anything except they need wifi.
Evidently the choice isn't that obvious for the OP, otherwise they wouldn't have chosen the UBP initially.

A lot of people have one or two drinks a day while cruise because they are worried about their bill adding up. They might actually want to drink more than that. The OP says they wouldn't spend CAD249 on drinks if they were paying for them. But if they have the UBP and pay the service charge up front, who knows, they might very well find themselves having more than a couple drinks a day. Especially on a west-bound TA (all those 25-hour sea days… :))

250 minutes of internet is not going to go very far on a 13-day cruise. It sounds like the OP could actually use unlimited minutes, but that's not what NCL is offering. If I needed internet access as the OP says they do, I would go ahead and pay for unlimited.

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

Just to clarify... Yes, there was a clear question in my post! As I said, I enjoyed the specialty restaurants and would very much enjoy eating at them (it's 4 nights included in the free dining package option). Re: the drinks - as the last poster said, I may end up splurging and drinking a little more if it's paid for already anyway (not even alcoholic beverages, but soda, etc). Although I can absolutely live without that. And on the Internet - I enjoyed the unlimited wifi (which I paid about $170 for) on my RCI Transatlantic cruise last month, BUT I found it had me glued to my phone more than I would have otherwise liked to be. So having said that, I think 250 minutes would be adequate for a 15 minute check-in per day (I could pre-type my emails and send them off after logging in to the Internet, which would leave me a few minutes to clean up my inbox and check Facebook or whatever).

After reading all of your replies - it's too bad the Epic doesn't have the per megabyte Internet plan so I could stretch my minutes further. BUT I guess I could just take the free 250 mins of Internet and "pay as I go" for everything else. That should help me to keep costs down elsewhere anyway, on drinks and dining and whatever else.

If anyone else has any opinions, please keep them coming! I still have time to make my final decision! :)

The Internet perk has a retail value of $125 (USD). The price of the 4-meal SDP is only $84. It sounds like you would potentially purchase both of these extras. So from that point of view, the choice is pretty clear.

The UBP is worth over $1000 on paper, but that number is meaningless since very few people would actually purchase the UBP at full price for a 13-day cruise. But it does illustrate the fact that the UBP perk is the only one that constantly increases in value as your cruise gets longer. The dining perk is limited to 4 meals, the shorex credit is limited to 4 ports, and the internet is 250 minutes no matter what. For longer cruises, these 3 perks look really stingy compared to the UBP. But again, it depends how much use you would actually get out of the UBP, and only you can judge that.

The Internet perk has a retail value of $125 (USD). The price of the 4-meal SDP is only $84. It sounds like you would potentially purchase both of these extras. So from that point of view, the choice is pretty clear.

My account for the same cruise shows the 4 SDP is now $99.12 + a service fee (I have no idea). Of course + 18% gratuities. Wonder what costs will be by the time we cruise??? The a la carte pricing may be a better deal if you aren't a big evening eater.

I likely wouldn't purchase the dining package and would just pay as I go so I don't feel like I have to go to the restaurants a certain number of times. I'd probably be happy with just 2 or 3 specialty dinners.

I think Internet it is! But any chance the Internet perk might get better prior to sailing? Lol!

My account for the same cruise shows the 4 SDP is now $99.12 + a service fee (I have no idea). Of course + 18% gratuities.
$99.12 is $84 + 18%. If you choose the 4-meal SDP option with your booking, that perk is worth $84 (because you still have to pay the 18% yourself).

I'm in sort of the same situation - not a big drinker and frequently purchase none or only a couple of drinks during a cruise. I picked internet and specialty dining last cruise. This coming cruise I only get to pick one. It was an easy choice - internet. I would pay for the internet if I didn't pick it. I don't need the other stuff.

$99.12 is $84 + 18%. If you choose the 4-meal SDP option with your booking, that perk is worth $84 (because you still have to pay the 18% yourself).

Thanks. I finally got that figured out. Geez. I don't think it would have taken me so long even just 3 years ago! [emoji30]

"I think Internet it is! But any chance the Internet perk might get better prior to sailing?"

I think the better part would be the improved satellite system. We won't know until we get under way. The internet offerings have been pretty stable. Also, they can't be used to upgrade to unlimited.

Edited by Rhea98

I likely wouldn't purchase the dining package and would just pay as I go so I don't feel like I have to go to the restaurants a certain number of times. I'd probably be happy with just 2 or 3 specialty dinners.
I think a 3-meal SDP would be really easy to use up over the course of a 2-week cruise without feeling like you are forcing yourself… Since you mentioned you liked Teppanyaki and Moderno, you are guaranteed to save money there with the SDP. And you can try one of the à la carte venues without feeling like you should order less, or order less expensive items, which may be an issue if you go there and pay à la carte.

take the drink package so you wont have to worry about anything else :cool:

Worst possible Choice. UBP cost $249 for OP that doesn't drink.

OP didn't mention 3rd & 4th free but if it applies choose that first.

You have decided internet is a must so choose that.

Specialty dining would be your 2nd or 3rd option depending on 3/4 &ex if you get 1 or 2 choices.

Edited by Nola26

Thanks for clarifying that you're traveling solo and get one Choice.

Internet valued over $100 and Specialty under $100. If you really need the connectivity go for the internet.

You seem to enjoy the Specialties so I'd nudge you towards a treat rather than a duty selection like the internet, but on a $ to $ basis internet is probably the better value.

Have fun planning and enjoy your trip!

Thanks again for the replies! I switched to the Internet package.

I half-jokingly said to the NCL agent on the phone that "you'd think they'd give more internet minutes on a 2-week cruise than a 7-day cruise". Her answer "well nobody actually picks the Internet package anyway!". Apparently I'm a nobody! ;)