Princess Guarantee Results

paul929207

I am the OP for this thread. Thought I should drop by and give everyone an update.

After I received my assignment, I got 2 upsell offers. Both would move me from an obstructed view to a balcony for our 7 Alaskan cruise. First was $250 pp, The second was $200. We declined both.

Then we got moved from the Obstructed view on the Emerald deck (E505) to an obstructed view min-suite on Caribe deck (C202). It is the front cabin on that deck.

Thats excellent Paul !!! Have a fabulous cruise. You have an excellent Captain and crew on that ship... say hi to everyone for me!!

Monika

xx

I am the OP for this thread. Thought I should drop by and give everyone an update.

After I received my assignment, I got 2 upsell offers. Both would move me from an obstructed view to a balcony for our 7 Alaskan cruise. First was $250 pp, The second was $200. We declined both.

Then we got moved from the Obstructed view on the Emerald deck (E505) to an obstructed view min-suite on Caribe deck (C202). It is the front cabin on that deck.

That's awesome! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Many people don't realize that you can book a specific cabin and book it as a guarantee. This can be a very good strategy.

No, that cannot be done.

If you book a specific cabin, then it is not a GTY.

However, you can book a specific cabin and say you are willing to accept a complimentary upgrade.

Our last guarantee worked out very well. Booked an MF guarantee on Regal Princess for our Baltic cruise last month. I was pretty sure we'd get something better since there are only 12 MFs and most were showing as sold. Was very pleased, right after final payment, to get an MA in the mid-ship bump-out section.

If I'm following the thread correctly, you first booked a guaranty obstructed view in November, and in June you were actually assigned a specific cabin in that category. Shortly after that assignment, Princess tried twice to get you to purchase a paid upgrade. When you declined, you were then magically upgraded to a much more expensive room, without any additional payment at all.

Call me cynical ;) but it sounds to me like Princess is playing the same kind of games that some airlines and rental car companies have been known to do, of trying to get you to pay for something that they were otherwise prepared to give you for free. (E.g. the airline that offers you an immediate paid upgrade when you are on the waiting list to upgrade with frequent flyer miles). Put another way, they were trying to get back some of the discount they had given you earlier via the guarantee rate.

You played your cards right and and got a great deal in the end, especially given that you were already satisfied with the regular OV room that you had booked -- congrats! It's also great that you posted your story here so others can take note -- I'm betting you won't be the only person offered an upsell in this situation. Enjoy your cruise!

We usually book a mini guarantee and have been assigned a mid ship location about 50% of the time. I think we only got a forward once. This was before we hit elite. We were offered an upsell on a 15 day Hawaiian and took it. The suite was so nice and we got so spoiled that we've been booking suite for the last few years except once (Beware of the upsell you may get hooked too) That mini we got an aft suite which I was pleased. This is probably the last suite we will be in for a while. I recently retire (earlier than planned) and will probably go back to a mini or even a balcony because money is tighter then it used to be. Based on what I'm reading in this post it seems that the lower the category the greater the chances of a meta upgrade. From a mini to get a meta upgrade is tough because suites are limited and minis are plentiful. I'm glad to here that elites still get upgrades. Since turning elite the princess mailer are few and far between. Although we did get a mailer with a great rate on a 15 day panama full transit in a suite which is booked for Nov.

I have no complaints. Sure I would have preferred an upgrade to a suite, it was not to be. I am just happy to be able to go on the trip.

That's how I read the OP. Got what I paid for (guarantee) and quite happy with that i.e. no complaints. Know that a guarantee booking is just that; guarantee of the category I have booked and paid for.

Edited by Aussieflyer

We booked an ME guarantee for our upcoming Alaska cruise and that is what we were assigned over the weekend. Strangely my TA was not notified by Princess about the assignment, I noticed it on the CP. We have booked a lot of ME guarantees and this is the first time that we got what we paid for but we are happy. Other times we have gotten higher category mini suites and have also gotten upsell offers to a suite.