Calling all Princess experts...Pacific Coastal help!

jvalentine

Hello all,

I'm considering doing a pacific coastal itinerary next Sept on either the Ruby or Emerald Princess. I've not sailed Princess before (Holland and Norwegian previously) so wanted to ask if there was anything not miss or any major differences? Things you think Princess does better? Also, any insights on the Emerald or Ruby..which one would you prefer?

Both ships have exactly the same itinerary (Vancouver, Astoria, San Fran, Santa Barbara and LA). Planning on flying into Calgary, spending a few days up in the rockies and then driving down to Vancouver to catch the ship.

Many thanks in advance for your responses!

The California Coastal and West Coast Departure boards have lots of info. Astoria is a favorite of ours.

FWIW it's San Francisco, never San Fran.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The California Coastal and West Coast Departure boards have lots of info. Astoria is a favorite of ours.

FWIW it's San Francisco, never San Fran.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Living in the central valley we say "Bay Area" for anything from Milpitas to Vallejo, or "Frisco" for the city.... :D

Living in the central valley we say "Bay Area" for anything from Milpitas to Vallejo, or "Frisco" for the city.... :D

I'm from So Cal and would never, ever say "Frisco". BTW, if you're in LA and hear "The Valley," the reference is to the San Fernando Valley, even though that's not the only valley in LA County.

Sorry but no one born in California and San Francisco for sure refers to San Francisco as "Fricso"... those in the bay area ref to San Francisco as the "city".

As a native I had to correct reference, San Francisco is a vary classy city, so Frisco just does not do it justice.

Ref the Op's questions:

I would definitely recommend the Ruby, it is newer for one. I have been on the Ruby twice. Love the location of Sabatini's on the Ruby... the Italian special dining room.

I definitely would also recommend the Crown Grill... love the sea bass and veal chop and other steaks available, even with the up charge very much worth it.

Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge.. is a great experience... it can be windy though, so find a location where you are protect from the windy... a nice blue sky day it can be a real treat... the views in San Francisco Bay are amazing.

Even coming in early morning with fog can be fun, if you are not socked in and can see the city lights.

Princess is similar to Holland which you mention tha you to have cruised on previously.

September is a great time of year on the California coast weather wise. At least it will still be not more than 55-60* in ports it can be warmer.

I live in So Cal :) Ruby and Emerald are nearly identical. It would be hard to tell which one you were on once you are on the ship. I would look at what day/date best suites you and fits best with your pre-cruise plans. I do not think you would be disappointed with either one. Another thought to base your decision on is specific cabin type availability, if that is important to you.

I agree sailing under the Golden Gate bridge and being out on top deck is great!

Edited by hpeabody

The Rudy now has Share Restaurant instead of Sabatini's.

Astoria is a really nice port. We just walked around the town. I recall they have a little museum there too. In San Francisco we walked to Chinatown, then around the Warf. The Alcatraz tour is really cool & is pretty reasonable.

The Rudy now has Share Restaurant instead of Sabatini's.

Astoria is a really nice port. We just walked around the town. I recall they have a little museum there too. In San Francisco we walked to Chinatown, then around the Warf. The Alcatraz tour is really cool & is pretty reasonable.

So does the Emerald!

The Ruby & Emerald are basically twins & both ships replaced Sabatini's with SHARE (just saw that was posted while I was composing my reply :o)

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

This itinerary is one of my favorites & we always find plenty to do in each port. Santa Barbara has great public transportation & many places to visit near the tender pier such as the SB Mission, Presidio, small zoo & Trip Advisor's top rated spot the beautiful courthouse. The Santa Ynez wine country area & the Danish themed city of Solvang are options outside of town. Although there are several wine tasting rooms only half a mile from the tender pier & no reason to spend a lot to go to Santa Ynez Valley.

There are so many things to do in SF but not being aware of what you like to do I'm not going to make any suggestions.

We rented a car to easily tour some of the sights around Astoria but reserve early as I've read cars are limited. We met a fun Aussie couple who wasn't able to get a rental car so we invited them to join us.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Come on people. I don't think referencing what the cities in California cannot or should not be called is not what the OP is interested in.

Sorry as a native I can not lead that go. And did respond separately to the op's question in all fairness.

"Cali" is so very cringe-worthy. :p "SoCal is where my mind states" (Eve6-"Inside Out") ;)

Anyway, if you plan to go to Alcatraz, book it in advance and go on your own. It's easy to do and very worth visiting.

I really enjoyed Muir Woods too. They should have a tour there. Absolutely beautiful.

I'd go for the Emerald simply because I've done the Ruby twice. :D

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

We love the Ruby. Came out of drydock in December with some new carpet, the new beds and some new apholstry on some chairs.

Allow a full day to drive from Calgary to Vancouver..Its a long drive. If you are planning a pre-cruise stay in Vancouver, don't worry too much about location as long as you are in the Vancouver/Richmond/Burnaby area. The public transportation system is great.

FWIW, lived the first 30 some odd years of my life in the "Bay Area" "The Valley" and the "Santa Clarita Valley". My daughter (now 24) always said "Cali" as did her middle school friends. Fortunately we are now in the Pacific North West aka PNW which covers Oregon, Washington, Idaho and British Columbia. It is just easier.

I will add that the CA coastal areas cool off very quickly after dark, unlike the Caribbean, for example. Fall weather is generally sunny and warm in the daytime, but bring a warm sweater or jacket if you plan to be on deck in the evenings or early mornings.

I'll add one more FWIW about city names. When you get to Los Angeles, it is just referred to as L.A. Not LaLa Land, or any of the other cute names tourists and the media come up with from time to time. That is all :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Thank you for the helpful comments! As far as traveling through to Vancouver from Calgary, we've not decided on anything yet, so we're open to suggestions! I'll check out Kelowna...looks a little more scenic than Kamloops from the pics I quickly pulled up. (Thank you!)

We did the reverse in May. Coral Princess from L.A. to Vancouver. It was chilly but super calm seas. The crew was fantastic.

We were on Crown Princess last Feb. She's a twin to Ruby.

I liked the warmth and friendliness of the crew better on Coral but the Crown was more lively and better music and entertainment.