Restaurant recomandation in Venice

EuroFan

We would like some restaurant recomandation for Venice !

Visited 5 years ago and we were not that crazy about the food but we know that every place has the good and the bad ones so if you know some good places to eat, affordable let us know.

Looking for good italian food ( pasta, pizza ) and seafood .

Thank you !

Can't really be helpful, as we stayed in Mestre and looked on the web for some suggestions after a long day in Venice and ended up having Chinese at a well reviewed restaurant around the corner from our hotel. We arrived right after opening time and the family that owns/runs it was just finishing their dinner at a table near the back, so we thought good sign. We stayed, ate, and the food was very good. We were happy with our decision to dine there.

Venetians will tell you that they're not Italian, they're Venetian. And they're not completely joking. And given that food in every part of Italy is very regional, there really isn't such a thing as "Italian food". (Although gelato might qualify. You can find good gelato in every region! :)) So if I were looking for good Venetian food, I'd probably leave pizza right off the list. Pizza is not really a Venetian "thing", but if you just can't resist, there are a few places in Venice with pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven, so look for "forno al legno".

We would like some restaurant recomandation for Venice !

Visited 5 years ago and we were not that crazy about the food but we know that every place has the good and the bad ones so if you know some good places to eat, affordable let us know.

Looking for good italian food ( pasta, pizza ) and seafood .

Thank you !

One of my favorites in Venice is Osteria Boccadoro - it serves very fresh, excellent seafood and pasta.

http://www.boccadorovenezia.it/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ostaria-boccadoro-ve

ALSO

Antiche Carampane is amazing but more expensive than Boccadoro. You can take a look at their menu & price ranges online at:

http://www.antichecarampane.com/en/

BTW - I agree with the previous poster regarding pizza in Venice.

Pizza and even (to some extent) pasta are not really specialties of Venice.

I'd focus more on looking for seafood -- such dishes as baccala (salted cod), sardines, even squid in its own ink are specialties you'll find in Venice.

Finding good restaurants can be tricky, as Venice becomes more and more a shade of its former self. It is a tourist city, for the most part, with more locals moving out every year. More so than any other Italian city I've visited, it helps to go armed with recommendations from others -- rather than just wandering around until you find something appealing.

If you need more ideas than you get here, check out Chowhound for ideas. Here's one list: http://www.chowhound.com/post/sids-short-er-list-venice-969862

Osteria Ai Do Farai -this restaurant was recommended to me by a friend who is Italian (though not from Venice). Apparently very good food and not tourist trappy at all. We will try it this summer when we are there.

I now see there may be two of similar names. (also a Ristorante Do Farai).. I shall report back.

Edited by KiwiGal117
two restaurants of similar names

Thank you all for educating me about venetian food ! We love seafood so happy to hear about that and I will check the places you recomended 😊

Grazie !!

Edited by EuroFan

It's not a true Venetian dining experience, but for a nice meal near San Marco, we ate at Rossopomodoro. Not too expensive, the house wine was great, and the deserts were nice. Great pizza.

In southern Italy in local areas pizza is only eaten at night and they often do not even open til about 8pm. Cant speak for Venice though. As a tourist you will likely eat in tourist restaurants, like it or not. We have had the worst food anywhere in Italy there and in Civitvecchia and so I think it is really wise to research the best places.