Hooded microfleece jacket for Alaska?

Ideas from rei

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=Micro+fleece+jacket&ir=q%3AMicro+fleece+jacket&page=1

BassPro, Lands End, LL Bean or Cabela's should have some. At times I've seen some at Marshall's, Walmart etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

When are you going to be in Alaska? You might not need more than what you've got! I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be out in the pouring rain or freezing cold....I don't care WHERE I am...I'm not into freezing and wet.....

Currently Alaska is 10°F over its normal base temperature for spring and forecasts believe the warmer weather will hold throughout the summer. So, if you are leaving soon and your first stop is Ketchican just pick up a lightly lined windbreaker with hood there. I think mine cost $29 and I still wear it here in the Fall. If you must get it before you go go to the Clearence and Sale areas of LL Bean and Lands End online. You'll be dealing more with rain than cold even in normal years. Remember that southwest coastal Alaska is a rainforest area. Do layer up if you are doing any excursions on the glaciers.

For some reason, I haven't been able to respond. So, I'm trying Explorer instead of Chrome.

Thanks everyone, for all of your suggestions. I'm just not finding what I'm looking for. I'd like a microfleece, lightweight, full zip, hoodie. I have a lightweight packable rain jacket, so just need something warm. I'm pretty warm blooded so it will be the only "warm" thing I take. I live in an area where if you don't go outside when it's raining, you don't ever go outside. ;-) I'm OK with rain.

My cruise isn't until next May, so I have plenty of time. I'm just hoping to get some of the necessities purchased now instead of waiting until the last minute. Who knows what the weather will be like then. It would be nice if it will be like it's been this year, but I'm not going to count on it.

And, if anyone has any suggestions as to why I keep getting error messages (when I click on anything, not just trying to respond. I did clear my cookies a few minutes ago, but that didn't help, either), I'd love to hear them.

I went straight to STP and Columbia because I shop there often - I didn't find those through Google. (actually I shop the Columbia outlet nearby, but when I'm trying to find something online to show people...)

I went straight to STP and Columbia because I shop there often - I didn't find those through Google. (actually I shop the Columbia outlet nearby, but when I'm trying to find something online to show people...)

OK, that makes sense. There's not a lot of choices in my area, so I usually look online for most items.

OK, that makes sense. There's not a lot of choices in my area, so I usually look online for most items.

Yep, I live in the country - it's an hour or more to get to any decent shopping. Not so bad from work, but....I usually shop online and then return in person as needed, or have my husband process returns (he has daily UPS pick-up so it's not so bad:p) Also, having been plus size in the recent past, options are much better online!

Also, having been plus size in the recent past, options are much better online!
'

This is a big issue for me right now, too. It used to be I'd buy the biggest plus size available. Now, I usually buy an xl, but friends are pointing out that that's probably too big and looks baggy. For a jacket (Port Authority brand) at work I was going to get a 1x. Luckily we were able to try the sizes on before the order was place. I ended up with a medium. So, I really need to be able to order from somewhere like Amazon so I can easily return items.

Another great website for shopping is 6pm.com. This is the closeout site for Zappos. There's a super selection for all the popular name brands, including The North Face. Service is good.

I find the selection at 6 pm is better than Sierra for some types of items. If you find something you like at 6 pm and are Prime with Amazon, you can order through Amazon, the item ships from 6 pm at the lower price, plus has the benefits of the free 2 day shipping and free returns. Very easy.

If you find something you like at LL Bean and want to know the actual garment measurements, ie, sleeve length, garment length, shoulder and hip width, you can use the online chat feature to obtain this info. It beats using size charts because you can compare with garments in your closet that have a good fit.

Hope this helps. I do a lot of online ordering, especially outdoor clothing.

Another great website for shopping is 6pm.com. This is the closeout site for Zappos. There's a super selection for all the popular name brands, including The North Face. Service is good.

I find the selection at 6 pm is better than Sierra for some types of items. If you find something you like at 6 pm and are Prime with Amazon, you can order through Amazon, the item ships from 6 pm at the lower price, plus has the benefits of the free 2 day shipping and free returns. Very easy.

If you find something you like at LL Bean and want to know the actual garment measurements, ie, sleeve length, garment length, shoulder and hip width, you can use the online chat feature to obtain this info. It beats using size charts because you can compare with garments in your closet that have a good fit.

Hope this helps. I do a lot of online ordering, especially outdoor clothing.

Thank you. I've never heard of 6 pm but will check them out. Love all your suggestions.

collegegirl92 and slidergirl, thanks for your suggestions, too!

I ordered a North Face jacket that was way expensive and probably overkill on warmth. But, I'll see what it's like when it arrives - it may make a great winter jacket.

I'm going to probably go back through all of the recommendations and order something a bit lighter for the cruise.

Thanks again, everyone!

collegegirl92 and slidergirl, thanks for your suggestions, too!

I ordered a North Face jacket that was way expensive and probably overkill on warmth. But, I'll see what it's like when it arrives - it may make a great winter jacket.

I'm going to probably go back through all of the recommendations and order something a bit lighter for the cruise.

Thanks again, everyone!

Which jacket was it?

Backcountry is having a sale now - you might find a discount on a nice soft-shell or fleece. If you're looking for a rain jacket layer, they have Marmot Precip and The North Face Venture at a discount now.

Which jacket was it?

Backcountry is having a sale now - you might find a discount on a nice soft-shell or fleece. If you're looking for a rain jacket layer, they have Marmot Precip and The North Face Venture at a discount now.

It's the Denali hoodie. I have a rain jacket, so I'm all set there. I'll check Backcountry. thanks!

My Denali Hoodie arrived today and I'm surprised that I actually really like it. I'll probably keep it although I don't know how practical it will be as I live in the PNW and fleece might not be the best choice for our rain. It's not as heavy as I was thinking it might be, which is good. It will be perfect for visiting glaciers. It's going to take up more room in my luggage than I was hoping, though.

It's the Denali hoodie. I have a rain jacket, so I'm all set there. I'll check Backcountry. thanks!

Good choice! I've had a Denali jacket for years. It could be used as part of a shell system from probably back in the early 2000s. That should give you an idea of how good The North Face stuff is.