Pre cruise?

dee2673

Hi all. We are considering booking a cruise that leaves out of San Diego. We do not cruise much, this will be our 3rd. Both times we have booked a Neptune Suite in Holland America and have stayed in a hotel, booked through the cruise line , the night before. We like the convenience of the transport from airport to hotel and then to the port. Anyone know what hotels the cruise line deals with ? I know I can it cheaper if I book a room myself. Is it really not recommended to let the cruise handle getting our room the night before the cruise?

Well, if you have money to burn, it is fine to book with the cruise line. Many people like having the cruise line take care of business.

But many people would rather save the money, or perhaps book with known hotels, or chains they have loyalty with.

Last time, I had booked with the Explore 4 fare and when the price went down, I rebooked at a much lower rate. They threw in a night at The Fairmont so it didn't really cost any more as it was a "courtesy" for losing the Explore 4. I joined the loyalty program as I am a dedicated point collector, lol, and turned that into some pretty awesome stuff. I do not have money to burn by any means and live on a budget. Except for travel/ vacation, when we are looking for the least hassle. I guess that's what we're paying for. I'll check before we book anything to see the prices difference and if it makes it worth it to schlep our own bags.

I think Holland America uses a Sheraton Hotel in San Diego. ...From what I understand the cruise port is a short cab ride from several hotels..Wyndam, Embassy Suites, and Hyatt Manchester were recommended to me.

Taxi to the Wyndam should be about $10.

San Diego us relatively compact. Could walk from the airport to cruiseport in if you really had to.

From the Wyndam the Maritime museum is just to the North and the USS Midway to the south. Both easy, flat walks.

Edited by SadieN

I would recommend that you do this on your own, not through the cruise line. It is easy to take a cab or shuttle or Uber from the airport the the downtown or Marina districts where there are many hotels, and those that have nearby restaurants and other sights you may want to see. The Sheraton (if they are talking about the one on Harbor Island) is close to the airport, but there is nothing else to do on Harbor Island, and only limited restaurants within walking distance.

Popular hotels near the cruise ship terminal include the Wyndham Bayside (as above), the Embassy Suites, the Marriott Marquis, and Manchester Grand in the Marina area, and the Hilton near the baseball park. There is also the US Grant and the Westin near Horton Plaza. If you want a less expensive hotel, then the Residence Inn or Hampton Inn might work for you. You can cab or Uber to the ship for less than $10 from most of these hotels: the Wyndham and Hampton Inn are less than 2 blocks to walk.

If you stay near the cruise ship terminal you can easily walk to Little Italy for many great restaurants, or take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) to Old Town. The Marina District hotels are on the south edge of the Gaslamp Quarter which also has a lot of good restaurants and is serviced by the Trolley.

Thank you all for the very helpful replies. At this moment, I booked a snooze and cruise with the Hilton on Harbor Island for about 100.00 less than the cruise package. It includes airport transfer, breakfast and transfer to the ship. If we want to go in to town, so to speak, we can use Lyft or Uber for that. Also considering using some of my Hertz points to book a fancy car to explore a bit further out during the day, as we arrive pretty early. I have lots of days to plan and appreciate any and all advise.