Laundry on the Nautica

blondietoo

Are the machines and laundry detergent complimentary??

Thanks

There is a charge for the washer and for the dryer. You have to get tokens from Reception = put it on your account, but it isn't expensive. If I remember correctly, the detergent is free. It's in the laundry room. There are also irons and ironing boards. Free to use.

Are the machines and laundry detergent complimentary??

Thanks

$2 per wash and $2 per dry. Detergent is free from a dispenser (it's "ocean friendly" but works fine). Just spent almost a month on Nautica and YES the laundry can be downright competitive (walked in on someone taking my still wet clothes out with 20 minutes left on the cycle). It was fairly awkward. Much better on the O-class ships as there are multiple laundry rooms.

If you like dryer sheets, bring a zip lock full and hand them out to make new friends. :) Also, set a timer on your phone - clothes left sitting WILL be removed unceremoniously... Rules of the laundry room I'm learning. Best time to do laundry is either while people are in port or during dinner. Laundry closes at about 10pm.

...and YES the laundry can be downright competitive (walked in on someone taking my still wet clothes out with 20 minutes left on the cycle). It was fairly awkward.

Just curious - how did you handle that?

Just curious - how did you handle that?

I approached her and said "oh I didn't think they'd be dry yet" and reached in the basket and said - "oh wait, these aren't dry - why are you taking them out?" Mind you the room was completely full of people so this already was quite the scene. She just said she "thought they were dry enough" and I said, "I don't think you should make that call with other people's belongings" and she put the stuff back in the dryer and walked out of the room, not even apologizing. Everyone knew what had transpired and it was awkward.

I approached her and said "oh I didn't think they'd be dry yet" and reached in the basket and said - "oh wait, these aren't dry - why are you taking them out?" Mind you the room was completely full of people so this already was quite the scene. She just said she "thought they were dry enough" and I said, "I don't think you should make that call with other people's belongings" and she put the stuff back in the dryer and walked out of the room, not even apologizing. Everyone knew what had transpired and it was awkward.

OMG :eek:

How very rude of her to even touch your things

If someone did not return within 15 mins of the washer or dryer stopping

I may move them to a basket if no machines were available & people waiting

I check my watch with the timer on the machine & usually return about 5 mins early

I do not think I would have been as nice as you were considering the time was not up yet

Where do these people come from :rolleyes:

I am of the mind that everyone KNOWS how busy the laundry room can be, and if you are not there within a couple of mins of your machine finishing, then your clothes come out.

Why should I wait 15 mins for THEM, rather than THEM getting there 5 minutes early to move THEIR stuff?

I have even folded people's stuff as I take it out of the dryer...I don't leave it in a pile.

I am always there when it stops, and I take a book to read in case the machine takes longer, which the dryer sometimes does.

Kudos to you. You kept your cool and handled it with class.

I think that person's behavior was inexcusable.

Kudos to you. You kept your cool and handled it with class.

I think that person's behavior was inexcusable.

What I wanted to do/say was VERY different than what I did say/do. I'm no stranger to laundry etiquette and this one blew me away as I NEVER leave my clothes to sit for even a minute. The problem that particular day was the loads got way out of sync pretty early... so you had a wait for the dryers that was 2 or 3 people deep and dinner time was fast approaching. Either way it made for interesting conversation with those who witnessed it for the rest of the cruise. :)

EDIT to add that I saw her later on in the cruise at Martini's and she couldn't have given me more of a cold shoulder. To which I say "WHATEVER!" <grin> We packed super light so I had to do laundry 4 times (under-stuff, etc) on our 30 day journey around North Asia. By the end of the cruise I figured out doing laundry at 7pm was the way to go... I'd throw a load in, grab a drink in my room, go back and put it in the dryer and hit the Terrace for a quick bite... worked out very well. This was also my first time on an R class ship with Oceania - we've always done the O class which have 4 or 5 laundry rooms and much less "laundry drama." :p

Edited by corpkid

Sirena laundry room has no place to sit. When Princess has ship they had more machines. They sit on pedestals about 6 inches high which made getting everything out of very hot dryer a challenge. They also only used US quarters not token which Oceania hasn't switched over to yet. Also needed little boxes of detergent which were given out by reception when you claimed you coinage. Then mid cruise Oceania went to large boxes of detergent on floor but the scoops got lost so people used the ironing water cups which then got gunky. Important to put detergent directly into machine with clothes not the detergent cup as it too seemed to gunk up when used. I think they don't use enough water to get all the detergent dissolved in the dispenser. Irons are hard wired in on Sirena and you have to keep pushing the on button at wall as they seemed to have an internal timer that would automatically shut them off. When they were then turned back on, they leaked water until they heated up enough to create steam. I too would concur that the ships laundry is the way to go!

We have done laundry on Regatta (5 cruises) and Nautica, sister ships of Sirena. In all cases, tokens that were purchased from Reception were used. Liquid soap was added to the washing machines automatically. There were two chairs and/or a love seat in all laundry rooms, Perhaps, the Sirena laundry room will be changed to this configuration.

Cheers,

Don

I'm surprised to hear about the Sirena laundry. I assumed everything would be converted to standard Oceania right away.

Oceania will offer laundry specials, 20 items for a set price and they launder and fold. Prices seem to vary, the last one was 20 items for $25. This works well on a port intensive cruise to avoid laundry room drama.

Sirena laundry room has no place to sit. When Princess has ship they had more machines. They sit on pedestals about 6 inches high which made getting everything out of very hot dryer a challenge. They also only used US quarters not token which Oceania hasn't switched over to yet. Also needed little boxes of detergent which were given out by reception when you claimed you coinage. Then mid cruise Oceania went to large boxes of detergent on floor but the scoops got lost so people used the ironing water cups which then got gunky. Important to put detergent directly into machine with clothes not the detergent cup as it too seemed to gunk up when used. I think they don't use enough water to get all the detergent dissolved in the dispenser. Irons are hard wired in on Sirena and you have to keep pushing the on button at wall as they seemed to have an internal timer that would automatically shut them off. When they were then turned back on, they leaked water until they heated up enough to create steam. I too would concur that the ships laundry is the way to go

Perhaps in time they will convert the machines to tokens & the auto soap dispensers like the other R-Ships

& put in the sofa etc...

On Regatta they put a step in front of the machines making it easier to get things from the dryer ....was fine for me at 5'4" to reach inside

All I can say is....Wow. The experiences cruising offers.