Will I stick out on the Pride in a Tux in July?

Rock_Dr

I own a Tux and don't get to use it much anymore. It doesn't take much to pack it as we are driving to Baltimore. Every year we cruise we see less and less but haven't been on Carnival since 2012.

Will I be alone? We have late seating if that makes a difference.

What about long evening gowns for my wife and daughter?

Alone? Maybe maybe not, but you'll be a head turner. We all did the tux thing twice because that's what WE wanted to do. It was fun.

This made me laugh a little when I saw the post. If you wear a tux, especially on Carnival, you want to "stick out" and be seen in it, right? It's certainly not for comfort....lol

wear what makes you happy.

We dress up every cruise. My husband and 12 year old son wear tuxedos and us ladies wear formal or semi formal dresses. My father in law used to wear them when we cruised. Last year our party of 18, including the kids, dressed up very formal for our 5 night cruise, on elegant night. It was fun taking pics and we got a ton of great pictures out on deck as the sun was setting. Once dinner is over we change but dressing up like this once a year is a treat for us. We don't really dress up like that the rest of the year. We also take our annual family portrait at this time and usually get a canvas and have it framed. We have done this about 7-8 years.

Hi,

Even Celebrity has 'Chic', which means that some of the men look like they just came out of the field while their wives are dressed to the 9's. I wear a full formal kilt and cannot tell you how many compliments I get. On our Hawaii cruise I intend to take and wear that on dress up nights.

Dan

I just got off the Pride yesterday. You will really stick out wearing a tux.

I saw 1 man wearing it the first elegant night. He wasn't wearing the tux the second elegant night.

The issue I see is there is no longer any dress code. I did notice many men wearing shorts and girls in flip flops. This is for the entire cruise for dinner.

On my last Pride cruise I was wearing a tux and counting the others I saw. I think I counted just over 40 the entire night, so yes you will be the minority, but not alone. This was February and not July.

Edited by asalligo

Hi,

Even Celebrity has 'Chic', which means that some of the men look like they just came out of the field while their wives are dressed to the 9's. I wear a full formal kilt and cannot tell you how many compliments I get. On our Hawaii cruise I intend to take and wear that on dress up nights.

Dan

Good on ye! I'm bringing my kilt for our cruise but I don't have a PC so I'll have to go in waistcoat and tie. Also my sporran is only a day sporran but I hand-made it myself and I'm rather proud of it lol.

I still expect to be more formal looking than many.

As for the OP's question, yes, standing out is kind of the point and part of the fun. ;)

I just got off the Pride yesterday. You will really stick out wearing a tux.

I saw 1 man wearing it the first elegant night. He wasn't wearing the tux the second elegant night.

The issue I see is there is no longer any dress code. I did notice many men wearing shorts and girls in flip flops. This is for the entire cruise for dinner.

Actually there is a dress code and a defined difference between "Casual" nights and "Elegant" nights....either many people are unaware or choose not to follow it....Carnival owns some of that issue where there doesn't seem to be a uniform enforcement of it on all sailings

What to Wear - Evenings

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn.

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

Edited by First and Ten

• 11 months later...
I own a Tux and don't get to use it much anymore. It doesn't take much to pack it as we are driving to Baltimore. Every year we cruise we see less and less but haven't been on Carnival since 2012.

I can't recall seeing any on our two previous sailings but I will be bringing mine in November. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary this year and we want to have one of our photos made into a large print.

We were on the Pride in April, and there were about 10-20 couples formally dressed; men in their tuxes, and ladies in full length gowns/skirts. All looked elegant. Of the 3 couples that sat close to us, only one had a child, and she was about six and she wore a little sun dress. They did stand out, because they looked elegant. It reminded us of cruises past. DH wears a suit on Elegant Night now, and I usually wear a dress or palazzo pants with a dressy top.

I'm definitely dating myself now, but years ago on formal night on a cruise, you wouldn't even change clothes after dinner, out of respect for the Captain, but things change I guess.

I'm definitely dating myself now, but years ago on formal night on a cruise, you wouldn't even change clothes after dinner, out of respect for the Captain, but things change I guess.

I actually did this up until just a few years ago. :) If I took the time to put on a tux, that tux is what I would wear the rest of the night. It made no sense to me to pay 100.00 to rent a tux for two hours for two nights. Now I just wear dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt. I never change after dinner.

Your whole family WILL stick out quite lovely. Good for you!!:D