Optional charges

I have witnessed people at the GS desk, arms full of Fun Shops bags raising the roof because they saw their bill and proclaimed that the roughly $13 per day was to much and they want those charges removed....it's downright disgusting some people's mindset

Many cultures don't tip. People from those cultures will view tipping in a different light than people from North America.

I have to specifically tell my PVP to add them. None have been automatic. Actually with this last one I forgot to tell him to and once I got the invoice, I noticed they weren't there so I sent him a FB message and he had it fixed in 3 min and a new invoice automatically in my email.

There is a difference between pre-paid gratuities and auto-gratuities. If the gratuities are added to the invoice, then the gratuities are pre-paid. If the gratuities are not added to the invoice, then the gratuities are auto-charged to your onboard account.

There is a difference between pre-paid gratuities and auto-gratuities. If the gratuities are added to the invoice, then the gratuities are pre-paid. If the gratuities are not added to the invoice, then the gratuities are auto-charged to your onboard account.

Um, yeah I'm well aware of that. I was responding to someone that said the gratuities were automatically added to their booking even when not selected for the past 6 months as in making them prepaid without opting in (at least that's the way I took it). Carnival has been adding them to onboard accounts for years.

Edited by firemanbobswife

OP - If your booking has the tips marked as prepaid, then they need to be paid at final payment date. If you don't pay the total due, your cruise could be cancelled. If you don't plan to prepay them, arrange for them to be marked as NOT prepaid on your booking.

Have a great cruise!

Good advice, however this thread is a year old ;p!

Or people could be paid a living wage and get tips for going above and beyond.

Which completely shifts the performance expectations away from the end consumer which is the entire premise of the tipping system.

When a server is paid by the establishment they have less incentive to go above and beyond than when that payment is coming directly from the consumer. In one instance way they are paid the same either way no matter how attentive they were, in the other their compensation is immediately in jeopardy if they don't perform adequately.

You pay the same either way. Your $15 meal becomes $20 if the establishment pays or it stays $15 and you leave the tip.

I withheld a tip to a room steward who was lewd to my 16 y/o daughter who happens to be utterly gorgeous. He ticked me off. I told him several times to back off but he didn't. Reported him to GS and removed his portion of the tip.

I had one on Paradise that made my cabin the last of his day, maybe around 12:30 or 1pm. I spoke to him once telling him I'd be staying on the ship in port and would like early service. You'll be first I was told. Didn't happen. I didn't reduce his tip. He worked very hard.

I completely agree with you. Our 17 YO daughter is a very attractive young lady and my DH and I cringe when the steward meets us the first day and says" oh, your daughter is so beautiful". We've never removed tips because it never went beyond the comment but I think they should be trained not to comment on how any guest looks.

Here's a novel idea.......why don't Carnival just pay their people a decent wage and add it to the cruise price

First of all, this is not a Carnival issue- this is the norm across the cruising industry. The amounts of tips may vary but they're all about the same.

And the argument is as old as time- the same thing applies to waitstaff at restaurants ashore. I'm not tilting at windmills trying to change what I cannot- I just pay the gratuities as part of my cost of cruising and give a bit extra if a particular person warrants it.

Because I can't be bothered figuring out who should get a tip and who shouldn't, if someone's service was so poor I'd consider removing their tip, instead I'd write a report, name the individual, give it to Guest Services and make sure I also included it in the final survey. If it was really egregious behavior (and acting in a lewd manner toward one of my kids is BEYOND acceptable!) then I might even email it to Carnival directly, as well as the ship's hotel director. The tip might be a few extra bucks in their pocket, but feedback, good or bad, from the customer affects their time off, even if their contract is renewed. It's much more impactful than the cash, believe me!

Which completely shifts the performance expectations away from the end consumer which is the entire premise of the tipping system.

When a server is paid by the establishment they have less incentive to go above and beyond than when that payment is coming directly from the consumer. In one instance way they are paid the same either way no matter how attentive they were, in the other their compensation is immediately in jeopardy if they don't perform adequately.

You pay the same either way. Your $15 meal becomes $20 if the establishment pays or it stays $15 and you leave the tip.

And yet most jobs do not involve tipping and people will work. And most countries don't have a tipping system and they are know for better service than Americans. The luxury lines pay a living wage and tips are optional. Those passenger expect great service and get it. So how come optional tipping works so well on the luxury lines? Perhaps it is because the tipping system doesn't work so well, because not everyone tips.

In addition, your example's math is wrong. A 20% tip for a $15 meal is $3, making the total $18. So the extra $2 can be given to the person doing the best job, making the employer responsible for supervising the employees, not the customers.

First of all, this is not a Carnival issue- this is the norm across the cruising industry. The amounts of tips may vary but they're all about the same.

And the argument is as old as time- the same thing applies to waitstaff at restaurants ashore. I'm not tilting at windmills trying to change what I cannot- I just pay the gratuities as part of my cost of cruising and give a bit extra if a particular person warrants it.

Because I can't be bothered figuring out who should get a tip and who shouldn't, if someone's service was so poor I'd consider removing their tip, instead I'd write a report, name the individual, give it to Guest Services and make sure I also included it in the final survey. If it was really egregious behavior (and acting in a lewd manner toward one of my kids is BEYOND acceptable!) then I might even email it to Carnival directly, as well as the ship's hotel director. The tip might be a few extra bucks in their pocket, but feedback, good or bad, from the customer affects their time off, even if their contract is renewed. It's much more impactful than the cash, believe me!

Your comments are spot on.

Again, an assumption is made that when you don't "embrace the tradition of tipping" that you don't do it. Why should I be considered the "enemy" when others don't "tip". I have worked on and off in the "service" industry (I was young once) and totally understand the issue. But sales clerks don't get tipped, nor do bus drivers, I don't think those that clean a hotel room get tipped, we don't tip those who provide services online we don't tip our mailman.

If industries that historically rely on tips continue to pay their help based on potential tipping that is "tradition" not necessity...they are the ones who need to change their mind set, not me. I am not going to be held captive...I tip because I "want" to not because I "have" to.

Everytime somebody brings up Tipping on CC,i always remember that nobody tips Security!!..(Smile)

Edited by mpdog42
Forgot to add Smile

There is no reason for my room to be cleaned twice a day.

Then put out the DND sign and go to GS and tell them u don't want this done....problem solved. Just a hunch here. You don't do this, but in your mind somehow justify that since you don't think it should be serviced twice a day, you shouldn't have to tip as much....Probably want some extra cash for the Fun Shop trinkets. OK to spend $ on that instead of tipping the people who bust their backsides to ensure you have a good time