Tracy's Arm 2016

shutuph

The Allen Marine website has the same disclaimer for the cruise ship or round trip from Juneau going to Tracy Arm.

Please Note: In the event unpredictable and ever-changing ice conditions preclude your vessel from entering Tracy Arm Fjord, the tour will be modified to explore Endicott Arm, a fjord and tidewater glacier of equal beauty.

Has there been times in the years past that Tracy Arm was not visited by cruise ships at all ? Sailing on Carnival Legend on Aug. 2 with small boat excursion from cruise ship . Was hoping to get into Tracy Arm.

Has there been times in the years past that Tracy Arm was not visited by cruise ships at all ? Sailing on Carnival Legend on Aug. 2 with small boat excursion from cruise ship . Was hoping to get into Tracy Arm.

This is fairly common every year, but lasting a LOT longer this year. No, there haven't been any cases of not getting in at some point in the season.

So do the smaller ships get into Tracy Arm? We are considering a Tracy Arm excursion from Juneau with a private company (Adventure Bound, Allen Marine, etc). It's a long day tour so want it to be worth it.

I sailed Tracy Arm in May, and it was magnificent, :) did not get to the South Sawyer Glacier but had at least a 30 minute view at North Sawyer Glacier.

Thanks very much for reporting back -- good to know!

While reading this thread, I've been wondering why the cruise ships don't simply change their itinerary to Endicott Arm if Tracy Arm is so elusive. From the pictures I've seen, the scenery in both looks similar, but maybe someone like BudgetQueen who has seen both in person can weigh in . . . .

I have sailed both these areas, several times, at least 15 together, mostly Tracy Arm. I do find myself preferring Tracy Arm for all those twists and turns. But certainly both areas are spectacular. I do find the add on boat tour, a "little" less beneficial in Endicott Arm, since the cruise ships have such easy, good access.

I have sailed both these areas, several times, at least 15 together, mostly Tracy Arm. I do find myself preferring Tracy Arm for all those twists and turns. But certainly both areas are spectacular. I do find the add on boat tour, a "little" less beneficial in Endicott Arm, since the cruise ships have such easy, good access.

The benefit of the small boat to Endicott Arm, if timed correctly, is seeing Fords Terror. When on a large ship, they just skip this. Otherwise, I guess they could only point it out but it would be meaningless unless you were able to enter the area.

I also prefer the twists and turns of Tracy Arm.

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...

How likely will Tracy Arm be accessible in September?

Historically is there a year when Tracy Arm is still not accessible even in September?

Anyone been on a cruise in September and the cruise ship failed to enter Tracy Arm?