New to DSLR photography - What to bring on cruise?

I've debated for years (as seen on much older posts of mine on here) whether to try a DSLR or stick with a point and shoot. I finally made the jump and have been reading a few different books and viewing YouTube videos to get myself up to speed. I'm curious about a few things and would love some input from those of you who are much more familiar with photography on cruise ships and their Caribbean destinations.

1. I've read contradicting statements on whether to use a filter when on a beach or outdoors on a cruise ship to protect the lens. I've read "you're crazy to not use a filter" and "you should never use a filter as it degrades the quality of the picture". Any opinions on this matter?

2. I'm wondering what equipment should I bring to accommodate a lot of scenic shots and 'selfie' portraits? We're getting married on the ship and have a photo package, but the photographer can only take pictures on the ship and only at a few ports since we can only divide our time amongst a few different days on our 14 day cruise so I expect to take quite a few pics myself as well.

My current equipment list I'm bringing:

Nikon d7200 DSLR w/ a few fast SD cards (will back up to laptop on ship)

Spare battery

18-55mm lens

55-300mm lens

Zomei PL-Z888 tripod

I'm wondering if there's anything else I'm not thinking of that I may need? I don't have a speedlite, not sure if it's worth getting since the camera has a built in flash... But considering it due to battery life concerns.

And I will be back to thank everyone for their replies ;)

-Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've debated for years (as seen on much older posts of mine on here) whether to try a DSLR or stick with a point and shoot. I finally made the jump and have been reading a few different books and viewing YouTube videos to get myself up to speed. I'm curious about a few things and would love some input from those of you who are much more familiar with photography on cruise ships and their Caribbean destinations.

1. I've read contradicting statements on whether to use a filter when on a beach or outdoors on a cruise ship to protect the lens. I've read "you're crazy to not use a filter" and "you should never use a filter as it degrades the quality of the picture". Any opinions on this matter?

2. I'm wondering what equipment should I bring to accommodate a lot of scenic shots and 'selfie' portraits? We're getting married on the ship and have a photo package, but the photographer can only take pictures on the ship and only at a few ports since we can only divide our time amongst a few different days on our 14 day cruise so I expect to take quite a few pics myself as well.

Spare battery

18-55mm lens

55-300mm lens

Zomei PL-Z888 tripod

I'm wondering if there's anything else I'm not thinking of that I may need? I don't have a speedlite, not sure if it's worth getting since the camera has a built in flash... But considering it due to battery life concerns.

-Keith

A decent quality filter has almost no impact on image quality. It also doesn't necessarily provide a massive amount of protection. But on balance, I generally prefer to have UV filters on my lenses.

Here is an entire analysis of UV filters and their affects:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/06/11/photo-mythbusting-do-uv-filters-truly-reduce-image-quality

It busts the myth that filters have a negative impact on image quality.

As to what to bring... Bring it all. Not like you have a whole lot. (For my next trip, I'm struggling what to bring and what to leave home.. but I have 2 camera bodies, about 14 lenses, 3 tripods, 2 speedlite flashes, wireless triggers, umbrellas, etc, etc). You'll mostly be sticking with the 18-55, but you might find you want some telephoto shots, so may as well bring both lenses.

The tripod is critical if you want to open up night time landscapes, etc.

A speedlight isn't about saving battery. It's partially about a more powerful flash. But even more so, it's about evenly and properly distributing the light from the flash to create a natural look. But to do it, you need to know *how* to use the speedlight. Not that hard, but you need to understand the concept of bouncing the light.

This article contains a good explanation, along with a sample:

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-bouncing-flash-behind-you/

Edited by havoc315

I basically agree with havoc315.

Here is what I do about camera equipment. I use a CPL filter on my Lens for the Nikon D7100. Helps with glare & sunlight with little or no effect to the picture quality. Further wind, dust, sand, salt water, & dirt can collect on the lens. I like having some protection with filter, as well they are easy to clean. I usually shoot with a hood on the end of most of my lens, especially outdoors.

Last I carry a small point & shoot camera with me. I like the waterproof ones which ensure that this camera will be protected from the elements. Also great for water sports & snorkeling. Selfies are much easier than with a DSLR.

Don't spend all your time taking photos & be sure to enjoy your cruise to the fullest. Make sure you have the proper charger or converter to use on the ship.

Happy Travels, John

Don't spend all your time taking photos & be sure to enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

Spending all my time taking photos is how I enjoy cruises to the fullest! I'm not an obsessive food-shot or selfie junkie but I spend a lot of the time wandering about pointing my camera at things.

:)

Dave

Thanks, I appreciate all of the replies! Yes, I'm definitely bringing all of those things I listed with me. I'm curious if there's anything else I don't already own that I should buy. I did buy a Vivitar filter kit which includes 3 filters and 4 macro lenses for $23... I'm wondering if I should buy a more expensive filter? It did included a CPL but not sure how the quality is. I did so some test pics with it and I did notice the pic was a little darker but that was it.

I wouldn't worry about a CPL filter. Just expose your images properly, perhaps bracket your shots.

Personally, I use pretty expensive UV filters -- From $40-$100 for a filter. But I'm putting them on premium lenses. For a basic kit lens, I don't think you'll see a basic cheap filter really making a difference.

Bring an extra battery, bring your tripod.

If you don't already own one, get a comfortable strap -- Not the basic neck strap that comes with the camera. Personally, I like cross body straps.

Bring a micro fiber cloth to clean the lens if necessary.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the replies! Yes, I'm definitely bringing all of those things I listed with me. I'm curious if there's anything else I don't already own that I should buy. I did buy a Vivitar filter kit which includes 3 filters and 4 macro lenses for $23... I'm wondering if I should buy a more expensive filter? It did included a CPL but not sure how the quality is. I did so some test pics with it and I did notice the pic was a little darker but that was it.

There are filters that cost as much as $100 and more for a single filter. I would guess that based on this, your 7 filter set for $23 which is $3 each might not be very good. What do you think the effect of putting your $3 filter in front of your expensive camera lens might be?

DON

There are filters that cost as much as $100 and more for a single filter. I would guess that based on this, your 7 filter set for $23 which is $3 each might not be very good. What do you think the effect of putting your $3 filter in front of your expensive camera lens might be?

DON

That's the question. I'm not familiar with professional photography at all, but I can tell you in my field (IT) you can buy parts that costs $20 and $150 and sometimes the $20 doesn't mean you purchased low quality, it just means the person who purchased the $150 overpaid for the same part because of the name slapped on it when it was manufactured by the same company with the same materials. I honestly don't know how it works with lens filters which is why I'm asking here. I'm more concerned about protecting the lens from the elements but of course don't want to run my pictures doing so.

Any recommendations for a decent filter that would serve that purpose without diminishing the quality of the photos?

Thanks again

Protection filters... Current cameras and lenses tend to block UV anyway so it's more a matter of just protection of the front element. Some lenses I'll put them on, particularly my weather sealed lenses as I might be wiping them down in the field and would rather risk a bit of grit against a filter than against the front element of the lens.

Cheap filters are a waste of money and effort though. I tend to buy either B&W or Hoya multicoated. Four filter Vivitar set for $23? Return it. Shop eBay or KEH.com or bhphoto.com for used filters in excellent condition.

Polarizer is a worthwhile filter in the right circumstances when you know how to use it. Don't bite off more than you can chew though, I suspect you have WAY more than enough to deal with learning right now. Same with Neutral Density filters. Very useful in the circumstances they're useful in, but requires knowledge so wait until you know why/what your buying an ND filter to do for you.

It's unlikely you're going to need an external flash. Also in the category of KISS -- Keep It Simple Stupid. Wait until you've learned enough that you KNOW you need one and why you need it, as that will guide you in knowing which one will best fit your needs.

Tripod? On a cruise? For your selfie shots or for something else? I'd leave it home personally. Consider instead an Ultrapod or similar and a monopod if you really need an external support. Maybe better at this point to focus on proper shooting stances and how to use stuff around you to brace your camera and lenses.

Keep your point and shoot for handing to folks to take your picture with. :) I carry a waterproof Olympus TG4, it's fun in the pool, at the beach, snorkeling, in the hot tub, etc.

Oh and trust me, spend more time focusing on your new spouse than on your camera. Cameras don't get jealous.

Tripod? On a cruise? For your selfie shots or for something else? I'd leave it home personally. Consider instead an Ultrapod or similar and a monopod if you really need an external support. Maybe better at this point to focus on proper shooting stances and how to use stuff around you to brace your camera and lenses.

Depending upon what kind of photography you want to do, a tripod is not totally out of the question. Sometimes that's the only way to get a shot with long exposures. But I do agree, don't take it if you don't think you'll use it.

I'm going to try a monopod for the first time, on our next cruise. The super long telephoto lens I just bought needs a bit of support, and with technology today (in camera and in lens image stabilization), I should be able to keep my images nice and sharp.

Protection filters... Current cameras and lenses tend to block UV anyway so it's more a matter of just protection of the front element. Some lenses I'll put them on, particularly my weather sealed lenses as I might be wiping them down in the field and would rather risk a bit of grit against a filter than against the front element of the lens.

Cheap filters are a waste of money and effort though. I tend to buy either B&W or Hoya multicoated. Four filter Vivitar set for $23? Return it. Shop eBay or KEH.com or bhphoto.com for used filters in excellent condition.

Polarizer is a worthwhile filter in the right circumstances when you know how to use it. Don't bite off more than you can chew though, I suspect you have WAY more than enough to deal with learning right now. Same with Neutral Density filters. Very useful in the circumstances they're useful in, but requires knowledge so wait until you know why/what your buying an ND filter to do for you.

It's unlikely you're going to need an external flash. Also in the category of KISS -- Keep It Simple Stupid. Wait until you've learned enough that you KNOW you need one and why you need it, as that will guide you in knowing which one will best fit your needs.

Keep your point and shoot for handing to folks to take your picture with. :) I carry a waterproof Olympus TG4, it's fun in the pool, at the beach, snorkeling, in the hot tub, etc.

Oh and trust me, spend more time focusing on your new spouse than on your camera. Cameras don't get jealous.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into a good quality filter. I normally agree with the don't buy it until / unless you need it approach... I'm more concerned about not being prepared with something I may need and being in the middle of the Atlantic when I realize I needed something but didn't get it. I have two months to ramp up so hopefully I'll be a little more knowledgeable about what I'll need by then. Yes, the tripod is for selfies. I want to make sure we take some great pictures when we don't have the wedding photographer around, I don't mind bringing it... Doesn't mean I'll be using it but good to know it's there. Thanks again for the advice!

I would not bother with a uv filter (I'm in the it's a waste of money camp on this one) but get a CPL for sure. This is one of the most important filters you can have in your kit. I would even grab a graduated ND filter as well for those sunset shots. (yes, i know before someone chimes in you can bracket and merge in pp but I'm assuming the OP is pretty new and doesn't have software to do it)

I will offer my 2 cents on the filter debate. on two things;

My way of thinking is if you by a good lens you need to by a filter that is the same quality of glass and coatings as the lens you are putting it on. Most prime lenses where you pay over $1,000 more than likely a lot more than $1,000 then stick a $23 filter on it?? You will loose quality some of the sharpness of the lens. Now if your lens less quality you do not need as good a quality of filter as what you will put on a $1,000 lens. While it is true some times you can by products cheaper that does not have a brand name but like most things there is a reason it is cheaper than the 'name brand' some where you are loosing QUALITY. Ask any doctor there are 'brand name drugs' and generic the difference between them is the actually chemical composition and the fillers used. The brand name will have less fillers. An old saying to remember is you get what pay for.

The second is UV vs Circular Polarizer as already stated a UV filter is not a bad idea to have to protect the lens from dirt, if in the rain and if it gets wet you can take it off and still shoot, etc. but take it off if you have the polarizer. I only own one UV filter but have a polarizer on all my lens the only time I take it off is for interior or night shots. If outside it is on all the time. By turning it you can darken the sky and cut down the glare on the water and reflections and a host of other things. I would not have been able to get the vivid colors of the rainbow with out one.

26115589813_493970d9aa_k.jpg_REB2595-Edit.jpg

My $0.02 on the filter debate: use a hood to protect your lens from drop damage. Use a UV filter when you're in adverse conditions that could affect the front element of your lens (sandy beaches, high winds, ocean spray on a small boat, etc.). Use a CPL filter (instead of the UV filter, if you're using it, UNLESS conditions are bad enough that your lens is better off staying covered) for shots of water or shiny surfaces IF you have time to manage it (it's not a set-and-forget thing) and you aren't shooting super-wide (it tends to blue up a part of the sky but not all of it) and can see yourself shooting somewhat perpendicular to the sun. Do NOT leave the CPL filter on your lens, as it can "throw away" up to two stops of light depending on conditions, and you might need that light. If you don't have a reason to use a filter, don't use a filter.

Take what you have. The tripod is perhaps questionable...makes sense if you really want to set it up for selfies so you can run back into the shot on timer or get a remote for it. It also helps if you really like structured shooting, or those dreamy waterfall shots (and you might want an ND filter, perhaps a three-stop filter). Get a speedlight if you can and want to learn to use it. If you really like portraits, consider a little 50mm or 85mm lens...you'll be amazed at what your camera can do with a decent little "prime" lens.

Trust me when I say that you won't be anywhere near the "best-equipped photographer" on the ship, but that's perfectly OK. I'd say it's more important to take what you want to use and what you know how to use...perhaps maybe a couple things that you want to learn to use if you'll have an opportunity to soak up that learning somehow.

For the sake of being anal-retentive, if you are going to transfer your pictures onto your laptop and reuse your cards, it's not a backup. It's your one and only copy. I'm a freak, and happy to admit it, but I take an SSD and three external drives, and I don't erase my cards until the images are either on the SSD plus two externals or on all three external drives, with verification. Those drives travel home in different carry-on and checked bags to be safe. Think about a portable or external drive if the pictures are important to you.

Agree with most what was said. Excellent camera. Get 35mm f1.8G DX lens. You will love it and it is so cheap. Forget about cheap filters. It would be like taking photo trough window glass. Get proper filter or none at all. Tripod is must on cruise. How are you going to take picture of your self without one or in low light situation. Get Carbon fibre travel tripod with ball head. Get Nikon moist lens cleaning wipes. Sling bag, Vanguard BIIN 37 or Lowepro Transit Sling. A speedlight would be good to have but can do without.

ALL FILTERS RUIN EVERY PICTURE!

Or, not...

An awful lot of people think adding anything between the lens and the subject can seriously degrade image quality. The is another myth that has some basis in fact but is only true in some situations. The difference between a $20 filter and a $120 filter is usually a combination to three things; coatings, ring design and material and brand name. The first one is the only one that really makes a significant difference and only under certain conditions. The last one is for discussions at the bar after a day in the field.

The link that Havoc posted above has more links to some pretty interesting tests of filter effects on image quality and their value as protection. For those who are short on time, here's a brief summary: a) Not enough to notice and b) Lenses are tougher than you think

Caveats:

Cheap filters' only significant shortfall is added flare or reflections because of inferior coatings. In most daytime settings, this is irrelevant.

Ring design counts when using an ultra-wide regarding vignetting. Ring material may count if you leave you filter on all the time and live or work in humid environments. Aluminum may corrode and make it very difficult to remove. Brass (expensive) is better but oddly enough, a material like the thermally neutral plastic Sigma uses in its lens bodies may be the future.

Beware of brand names. Some can add 2x to 3x to the cost of a filter with no actual value added.

Bottom line after reading a ton of comparison reviews. (Actual comparison tests, not the many pontifications):

There is a difference in image quality but the difference is very, very difficult to see.

Clarity of the glass between the cheapest (within reason) UV filter and the most expensive is virtually unnoticeable. Coatings make a far larger difference due to ghosting and flare with difficult lighting.

Brand? Hoya HMC and Pro1 filters both out-performed B&W and Heliopan filters in the Lenstip testing and Tiffen UV Haze won in another. Buy-the-most-expensive-because-its-the-best is a lazy path to quality and it is often wrong.

Do I use UV filters? No. That's from laziness and the fact that in situations where blowing dust or sand would be a problem, it's likely to be bright enough that I'll be using a polarizer anyway. Personally, I prefer a lens hood for protection. They come with the lens and they are easier to remove if I want to use the polarizer (same rules apply as to coatings, construction and brand). My personal favorite is the Hoya Moose Peterson Warming Polarizer. It doesn't add the slight blue cast to the out-of-camera images that some others do. Since I went digital about 15 years ago, polarizers and ND filters the only ones I've kept using. I also tossed my pre-digital filters and am using newer ones. Improvements in manufacturing and coatings have narrowed the gap between the top and bottom of filter quality and the latest entries by all are worth looking at if your filters are relics from the film days.

Following your personal preferences make for inner harmony but a little research may revise some obsolete preferences.

That was maybe, 4¢...

Dave

Peety3 mentioned what I was going to say... Backup! I get smaller cards (8 or 16) and use one for each day. I return to the ship and back up my cards to my computer, and then to an external drive. Then I put the card into a "used" case by day. So I have the original and backups!! I have only one card go bad ever, but this way I'm hoping not to lose anything.

I bring my tripod, it's a light inexpensive version. I find I don't use it often, but when I do I'm so glad I have it. I've found it doesn't help much on the ship though because of vibration.

I have a speedlight, but I leave it at home.

I use a polarizer filter during the day.

For selfies I use my iPhone.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For our recent SE AK cruise, what I did was to learn about each port/excursion then visualize what camera/optical equipment I'd like to have available for that day. It might be a second camera body for a quick close/far range lens available. It might be a flash for a dark museum, etc. It might be close/far lenses for specific situations. It might be a tripod/monopod for stability or a family pic when no one else was available to take the picture.

In short, visualize the entire trip then pack accordingly. If you can't visualize the entire trip, do some more research.

For our recent SE AK cruise, what I did was to learn about each port/excursion then visualize what camera/optical equipment I'd like to have available for that day. It might be a second camera body for a quick close/far range lens available. It might be a flash for a dark museum, etc. It might be close/far lenses for specific situations. It might be a tripod/monopod for stability or a family pic when no one else was available to take the picture.

In short, visualize the entire trip then pack accordingly. If you can't visualize the entire trip, do some more research.

A very good idea, for sure.

I tend to open up a web browser to lensrentals.com, and then use the right-click or command-click trick to open links in new tabs. First I open up each page of lens categories, and then I open up the page of cameras for rent. I then go through everything and open up a page for a lens I might consider taking/using (whether I own it, might buy it by then, or would rent it). Once I've opened everything I might possibly consider taking, I rearrange the tabs slowly but surely by prioritizing/sorting what I'd take. In the end, I basically have my main kit (what I'll use for excursions), auxiliary kit (what I'll use for on-ship shooting), stuff that'd be fun to bring if money was no object and weight was no issue, and stuff that just doesn't make sense to bring. I'll take notes, and close all of the tabs. Next time I have "downtime", I'll repeat the process, and see if I sort it into a different order.

Over the years, I've discovered that I don't need a "continuous" range. My Alaska main kit is now consistently a 16-35/4IS, 100-400IS, and a 600/4 plus a 1.4x TC. I'll augment with some primes for interior stuff, maybe a 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, and/or 135/2, depending on where we're heading. We've got a Mexican Riviera cruise coming up, and I'll skip the 600, probably take most or all of those primes (more at-sea time so more opportunity for portrait work with my wife, plus a couple of opportunities to do walking tours in port), and possibly some "portable" lighting gear to amp up my portrait work.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't worry about a CPL filter. Just expose your images properly, perhaps bracket your shots.

Personally, I use pretty expensive UV filters -- From $40-$100 for a filter. But I'm putting them on premium lenses. For a basic kit lens, I don't think you'll see a basic cheap filter really making a difference.

Bring an extra battery, bring your tripod.

If you don't already own one, get a comfortable strap -- Not the basic neck strap that comes with the camera. Personally, I like cross body straps.

Bring a micro fiber cloth to clean the lens if necessary.

Hey Havoc,

Any recommendations on what a good comfortable strap would be, a standard and a cross body? I checked out Amazon and there are so many, hard to tell what is a cheap import and what is good.

-Keith

Hey Havoc,

Any recommendations on what a good comfortable strap would be, a standard and a cross body? I checked out Amazon and there are so many, hard to tell what is a cheap import and what is good.

-Keith

Take a look at the Blackrapid. I use the Blackrapid sport for the d750. Even a rather heavy lens, makes it easier to carry.

Another vote for the Blackrapid straps. My wife and I each have a Double and some form of single strap. I'm about to get a Yeti for times when I want two cameras but want them to "park" themselves a little better than what the Double offers.

Take a look at the Blackrapid. I use the Blackrapid sport for the d750. Even a rather heavy lens, makes it easier to carry.

I also use that on my 750 when carrying heavy lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've debated for years (as seen on much older posts of mine on here)

Spare battery

18-55mm lens

55-300mm lens

Zomei PL-Z888 tripod

-Keith

I hate carrying a lot of equipment around. The 50-300 does a great job, but I have found that for a lot of spontaneous shots, I use my 18-250 lens ... a lot.

The 55-300 usually stays in the cabin and is great for shots from the balcony e.g. Alaska, or river cruises.