Ripcord Ifly and other Anthem questions

My wife and I are taking a 5 day cruise out of Bayonne to Bermuda on July 23rd.

First time on the Anthem and I had a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can give me info on.

I'm unable to book the Ifly online. I called one of the RC booking agents and asked if that meant it was already completely booked for the cruise or if they weren't taking online reservations at all. He said he wasn't receiving a message on his screen that it was completely booked, so he guessed the latter. My question is am I going to have to race up to deck 15 to make a reservation on the Ifly? Is there a chance I'll be shut out if I don't?

2nd question - How crowded is the pool area going to be? I've taken this same cruise during the summer on the Explorer of the Seas, and it never felt overcrowded. But despite being a bigger ship, the pictures make the pool area on the Anthem seem smaller with fewer chairs. Also how crowded does the Anthem feel overall.

Finally, our first few cruises were with our kids during summer peak months (all on the Explorer of the Seas), and we had a great time. The ship never seemed overcrowded. Last April, just my wife and I sailed out of Fort Lauderdale on the Liberty of the Seas, and it was REALLY nice going at a time of year that was a bit less crowded with a LOT less kids on board. Depending on how next months cruise goes on the Anthem, we may limit ourselves to offpeak cruises from now on.

I'm a new poster on here. Thanks for any info.

Guest maddycat

First time on the Anthem and I had a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can give me info on.

I'm unable to book the Ifly online. I called one of the RC booking agents and asked if that meant it was already completely booked for the cruise or if they weren't taking online reservations at all. He said he wasn't receiving a message on his screen that it was completely booked, so he guessed the latter. My question is am I going to have to race up to deck 15 to make a reservation on the Ifly? Is there a chance I'll be shut out if I don't?

2nd question - How crowded is the pool area going to be? I've taken this same cruise during the summer on the Explorer of the Seas, and it never felt overcrowded. But despite being a bigger ship, the pictures make the pool area on the Anthem seem smaller with fewer chairs. Also how crowded does the Anthem feel overall.

Finally, our first few cruises were with our kids during summer peak months (all on the Explorer of the Seas), and we had a great time. The ship never seemed overcrowded. Last April, just my wife and I sailed out of Fort Lauderdale on the Liberty of the Seas, and it was REALLY nice going at a time of year that was a bit less crowded with a LOT less kids on board. Depending on how next months cruise goes on the Anthem, we may limit ourselves to offpeak cruises from now on.

The Anthem has more pools than the Explorer. There is the Solarium (adults only indoor pool), an indoor pool for everyone, an outdoor pool for everyone and an outdoor children's pool. The pools will be busy but no more crowded than those on the Explorer.

Since we retired we cruise off peak times (spring and fall) when the schools are in session. The ships are quieter with less children onboard and the prices are lower.

You should be able to get a Ripcord reservation upon boarding but even if you don't, try going at some off peak time and you will likely be able to go standby.

The ship will be full but that may or may not mean unbearable crowds at the pool.

Also, be sure to download the Royal IQ app. Check it regularly, as people cancel reservations once on board slots will become available on the app. The pool never feels "crowded," but prime outdoor pool level seating was usually gone by 9:00-9:30, so catch that worm! One item to note, they do have chair hog patrol each morning on the Anthem and I actually watched a number of personal effects get yanked after about 30-45 minutes of non-activity (people putting down a towel and going to breakfast). The confrontations were awesome and I applaud Royal's crew for putting up with the trolls.

We were on in March, Easter cruise. It was pretty crowded but only the Windjammer breakfast was annoying, nobody would give up seats. We are on the 23rd also, check out the roll call. I could only get a few Ifly spots before they took it off the cruise planner but I think they keep some open for onboard. Explorer and Liberty were fun ships but Anthem has some great things also, just different.

My experience was that the ifly opened up later for booking, as well as the North Star. I don't ink you'll have trouble getting to do it, we did it once with reservations made ahead and once we booked it onboard.

I must say the pool situation on anthem is the best of all my cruises. So much swimming pool and hot tub real estate, there is room for everyone. I never felt stressed to find a nice spot where I wanted. So relaxing and lots of different environments to experience and enjoy.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I feel a little more optimistic now.

I've been dieting hard for the last month to try to get down to a weight low enough where I don't have to worry about the weight limit for the Ifly. I feel better that the hard work won't go to waste by not getting to try it.

We are on the October 1 Anthem sailing to Bermuda.

Bookings for North Star and Ifly opened for us in the last 24 hours. When I went to book North Star, there were only booking available on Day 2 and Day 3, but it looked like all times on those days were still available. That tells me that they are probably holding the other days for onboard booking.

While Ifly showed up as available for booking, there were no days available for booking. Again, I suspect everything is being held for onboard booking.

With the number of passengers on the ship and the short length of the Bermuda cruise, getting everyone who wants to on these rides has got to be a challenge.

We were on the June 11th sailing and did run into issues with reservations. I was under assumption spaces were held back from on-line booking. I think this was the case with Northstar - we were told they did have space available on boarding day but they were all gone by the time we got there. However, there never seemed to be a long line for stand by. We did it the first day between sail away and dinner and didn't wait more than 10 minutes.

Ifly was a different story. Nothing available to reserve at ALL. They apparently took standbys at the beginning but the lines were getting so long that they stopped. Yes, there are always going to be cancellations or no-shows but basically it breaks down to a group of 12 every 20 minutes so unless you are one of the first 5 in line for standby you could be there for hours which is why they stopped. I went on the last day (sea day) at opening (9 AM) and was able to get in. There were 2 cancellations and 1 no-show so 3 of us got into the first group. Another standby got into the next group or the one after. But it was very disorganized. They were trying to tell that guy standbys weren't allowed and he argued that they just let the 3 of us in and why not if there is an open spot? He finally got in. Anyway, you will probably be able to do it but don't expect it to be easy. But its worth it so keep trying.

We are on the October 1 Anthem sailing to Bermuda.

Bookings for North Star and Ifly opened for us in the last 24 hours. When I went to book North Star, there were only booking available on Day 2 and Day 3, but it looked like all times on those days were still available. That tells me that they are probably holding the other days for onboard booking.

While Ifly showed up as available for booking, there were no days available for booking. Again, I suspect everything is being held for onboard booking.

With the number of passengers on the ship and the short length of the Bermuda cruise, getting everyone who wants to on these rides has got to be a challenge.

We are on the October 15th sailing and bookings also just opened up for us. Having the same problem with iFly. I was able to book the Northstart, but nothing showed up under days or times for iFly.

You have gotten excellent advice from the other posters.

The I-FLY office was closed when we boarded. People were going to guest service to wait in the mega line and they were on the rude side with any question asked and did give out wrong information to us on many occasions.

Best to download the RoyalIQ app then stand in line.

Don't forget the puzzle room!