Istanbul Update - cancelled port

stacey82

Hi All

I completely understand the elimination of the Istanbul port from the itinerary.

I am disappointed, but have no complaints. I don't agree and continue to voice my complaints on Twitter and Facebook about the new ports. I think they are sub-par and third tier choices. I have emailed Cunard customer service and finally received a phone call back. The rep actually admitted these would not ever be on a regular itinerary. They are documenting all calls about the change and forwarding on to "upper management". I told her that if they were I bet only 25% of a ship would be sold.

I also asked for a fuel charge refund since we are not traveling as far and the fuel consumption would be less. Not that it would matter, but I had to ask.

I would urge anyone who is upset with the new ports to please call Cunard and voice your unhappiness. Hit Twitter @cunardline and facebook as well. It's amazing the power of social media today.

I will board the ship and enjoy my vacation and will not take my anger out on the staff, but until then Cunard will.

Here are some of my hashtags:

#cunardfail #terribleports #armpitsofthemed #cunardstandardsdropped #cunardlostourbusiness #toolatetocancel #cunardhidesbehindthefineprint

#cunardsucks #cunardyoulostourbusiness

====================

Agree and I posted to a different thread the same sentiment and have seen the Cunard FB posts - not much there, except yours I believe!

Like I mentioned on the other thread, perhaps nightly chilled VC in our cabins, onboard credit, etc is in order.

Been looking at Volos and Marmaris excursion options and might be deck days for hubs and I...

I've also been to Volos on a cruise... But with HAL.

The tough aspect of cruising is that the ports are never guaranteed. Over the years I have seen a lot of disappointment on that front. I can't say that I fault the cruiseline given recent events. It doesn't seem like an overreaction.

That said, I would be terribly disappointed to miss Turkey as it is a highlight of any cruise.

I've also been to Volos on a cruise... But with HAL.

The tough aspect of cruising is that the ports are never guaranteed. Over the years I have seen a lot of disappointment on that front. I can't say that I fault the cruiseline given recent events. It doesn't seem like an overreaction.

That said, I would be terribly disappointed to miss Turkey as it is a highlight of any cruise.

==============

We are lucky that the first week of our cruise we stop in Kusadasi, Turkey and are looking forward to seeing Ephesus; and Marmaris is in Turkey as well.

Just substituting Volos and Marmaris for two days/one overnight in Istanbul, while understandable, still is sub-par and there should be some form of compensation. If we were just doing the one week, I would be looking at cancelling for sure.

Hmm, but if you live and booked in the UK cancellation would have meant loosing all you had paid.

When I first found out about this I tried to transfer onto another cruise on QV later on in July and they wouldn't let me do that, despite being willing to pay the additional charges and the difference in cost between the two cruises. Cunard doesn't consider the substitution to be a "material change" so I think any ideas about OBC, compensation or even a free drink seem beyond their idea of customer service.

Hmm, but if you live and booked in the UK cancellation would have meant loosing all you had paid.

When I first found out about this I tried to transfer onto another cruise on QV later on in July and they wouldn't let me do that, despite being willing to pay the additional charges and the difference in cost between the two cruises. Cunard doesn't consider the substitution to be a "material change" so I think any ideas about OBC, compensation or even a free drink seem beyond their idea of customer service.

============

We live in Canada, sail on 20Aug - could be the difference in cancel rules.

VERY VERY UNIMPRESSED with Cunard customer service.

Still no cabin assigned

Just spent 30 minutes on the phone to Cunard waiting for a reply .

Then rang and selected the complaints department still no answer after 15 minutes.

TA offered to send us blank luggage tags and said maybe the cabin would be assigned at check in...... Oh yes and then bags left on the quayside.....

VERY VERY UNIMPRESSED with Cunard customer service.

Still no cabin assigned

Just spent 30 minutes on the phone to Cunard waiting for a reply .

Then rang and selected the complaints department still no answer after 15 minutes.

TA offered to send us blank luggage tags and said maybe the cabin would be assigned at check in...... Oh yes and then bags left on the quayside.....

Don't understand why you are getting yourself in a spin ! The longer you wait for an assigned stateroom the more chance you may have for an upgrade.

This subject has been covered on here many times. I (and I believe many others) have been know to be allocated our staterooms at check-in.

Your luggage is not a problem ...you still put your tags on ,ensuring your Name is clearly visible , and you don't just leave them on the kerb side you hand them to the shoreside porters.

Don't give it another thought . Start worrying about you are going to pack and what you are going to wear. ;)

Bon Voyage & be sure to enjoy your trip.

Lindypops, you might want to take a photo of your luggage with your phone camera. In the unlikely event that your bags don't arrive to your cabin in a timely manner, you can show your cabin steward, making identification that much easier.

BTW, I agree with Bell Boy's assessment that delayed cabin assignment can be an indication of upgrade. Please let us know if it works out that way for you:)

Bon voyage,

Salacia

Don't understand why you are getting yourself in a spin ! The longer you wait for an assigned stateroom the more chance you may have for an upgrade.

v

We have already had an assigned cabin 2 weeks ago which was an upgrade and that has been removed , given to someone else according to out TA who spoke to Cunard and we have gone back to 'to be assigned'

I am more concerned about overbooking .... I have heard that Cunards over booking compensation is money back and a small discount of another cruise.

I am a bit of a control freak and like to have all my ducks in a row .

I am keeping my fingers crossed 😳😳😳

Where have you heard that. Cunard don't overbook. Listen to the advice here from members who know Cunard very well. Wait and see then complain if you don't like what you get. Relax and enjoy.

David

v

In that case, booking a g'tee cabin was perhaps not the most sensible thing to do.

I am sorry, but complaining with still over a week to departure just seems wrong. Next time book the cabin you want.

Whatever happens, go and enjoy the cruise, and do not dwell on cabin allocation for better or worse. Like others have said, perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised near sailing date; I do hope so!

I thought everyone took cell photos of their luggage before any trip... not just a cruise. It makes it a L O T easier with airline lost/misplaced/misdirected luggage.

Oh well, in that case hihilo, please excuse me for stating the obvious.:)

Aloha,

Salacia

...TA offered to send us blank luggage tags and said maybe the cabin would be assigned at check in...... Oh yes and then bags left on the quayside.....
Friends of mine forgot to attach tags to two pieces of their luggage (out of six cases/bags)... both were found and delivered to their cabin long before the ship sailed.

When they asked they were told "On every cruise there will be many bags without tags, or damaged tags, illegible tags. As a matter of policy ALL cases and bags are brought onboard for delivery to cabins, or to be claimed by passengers. Nothing is left behind at the terminal, that would be madness".

On almost every cruise or crossing I've been on there has been a desk set up at the entrance to the terminal where staff with blank luggage tags and pens sort out cases and bags for passengers with last-minute cabin allocations. This is nothing unusual; some gty passengers discover their cabin number at boarding, all the time, so I've been told by passengers who've been in the situation.

Stop worrying, go and have a great time :)

This subject has been covered on here many times. I (and I believe many others) have been know to be allocated our staterooms at check-in.

Your luggage is not a problem ...you still put your tags on ,ensuring your Name is clearly visible , and you don't just leave them on the kerb side you hand them to the shoreside porters.

Don't give it another thought . Start worrying about you are going to pack and what you are going to wear. ;)

Bon Voyage & be sure to enjoy your trip.

Well said Bell Boy, great advice :)

Where have you heard that. Cunard don't overbook. Listen to the advice here from members who know Cunard very well. Wait and see then complain if you don't like what you get. Relax and enjoy. David
Wise words :) well said.

v

We have already had an assigned cabin 2 weeks ago which was an upgrade and that has been removed , given to someone else according to out TA who spoke to Cunard and we have gone back to 'to be assigned'

I am more concerned about overbooking .... I have heard that Cunards over booking compensation is money back and a small discount of another cruise.

Hope you got the assignment you wanted. We are at the Sofitel Terminal 5 ready for our flight tomorrow 😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reports still seem to be unclear about the extent of the intended coup. Istanbul certainly seems to be at the centre of things with bridges closed. If this develops further Turkey may be cancelled altogether. It will be interesting to see what happens to all the package holiday trips to Turkey that are approaching their peak at the moment.

Reports still seem to be unclear about the extent of the intended coup. Istanbul certainly seems to be at the centre of things with bridges closed. If this develops further Turkey may be cancelled altogether. It will be interesting to see what happens to all the package holiday trips to Turkey that are approaching their peak at the moment.

No flights from UK into Istanbul. Somehow I cannot see us going into Marmaris either.

What a world ☹️

No flights from UK into Istanbul. Somehow I cannot see us going into Marmaris either.

What a world ☹️

I don't think a Marmaris stop is likely either...President Erdogan and his entourage are there.

Edited by Salacia

Scheduled for Kusadasi week 1 and Marmaris week 2... With the current alleged coup situation, time for Cunard to make the executive decision and pull out of Turkey for the time being. If so, wonder what the replacements will be? More sub-par ports of call? Awaiting their advice...

I don't think a Marmaris stop is likely either...President Erdogan and his entourage are there.

Current reports indicate Erdogan's whereabouts uncertain.

I heard reports that Turkey's ports were closed (airports also closed, as are media stations and the Internet).