Breastfeeding baby on cruise

duchessuta

I fully support your decision here. Breastfeeding is natural and anyone who says mothers do it just to get attention are crazy. I can't imagine having to pack up whatever you are doing, trekking back to the cabin, feeding, and then trekking all the way back. A simple 15 minute feed would turn into close to an hour of going back and forth, most likely with a crying, hungry baby.

Thank you. Yes, he will be 6 months on our cruise. I'm a pretty modest person, though having a baby and nursing has changed that a lot. I don't want to have to run to my cabin every time he's hungry, for your reasons posted, and because I want to be able to enjoy myself.

My LO also HATES covers. He will never eat as much when he has a cover over him. Who can blame him?! I wouldn't want to eat with a blanket or cover over my head and face. He's also like an oven, so he gets hot very quickly too.

If you feel comfortable sitting at the dinner table, exposing your breast, and having your uncovered infant eat...that is your right. But you shouldn't get uptight if your dinner companions give you the evil eye...they might not be as body comfortable as you are.

Just because we have the "right" to do something doesn't mean we shouldn't be considerate of those around us. If your infant doesn't like to be covered you might want to rethink the particular circumstances where you choose to feed it...don't you think.

Breast feed anywhere you want.

Trust me...the crew will say nothing.

For those that have a problem I say...she's feeding her child, not trying to seduce anyone. Get over it.

I breast fed my son. One day, my DH's aunt and uncle came to see the baby. It came time to feed, so I went in a room off the living room to feed him and still be part of the conversation.

The uncle came in and yelled at his wife...Marge, get in here. She's feeding the baby!

He thought it was the most wonderful, natural thing that nobody did anymore. (This was in the 70s.)

My two cents for what it is worth. I don't oppose breastfeeding nor would I raise an eyebrow to it as it is a natural thing. Now that is out of the way so people no my feelings I have a question.

Why do a majority of women now seem to make it an issue. Is there no modesty anymore? It seems where in the past alot of women would find a secluded area or cover themselves now they simply sit down in the middle of where ever they are and start feeding. To me and I may be old fashioned but I wouldn't want strange men looking at my wife even if it was a natural thing. For the record ladies as a man I can tell you, yes we look that to is human nature and if a man tells you he doesn't he simply is lying.

If you feel comfortable sitting at the dinner table, exposing your breast, and having your uncovered infant eat...that is your right. But you shouldn't get uptight if your dinner companions give you the evil eye...they might not be as body comfortable as you are.

Just because we have the "right" to do something doesn't mean we shouldn't be considerate of those around us. If your infant doesn't like to be covered you might want to rethink the particular circumstances where you choose to feed it...don't you think.

First... And I'm not trying to be combative.. But my infant is not an "it".

Second, we will be at a table with just the three of us. I'm platinum and have already had this confirmed.

Third... I have no idea how I could rethink circumstances to feed him. When babies get hungry you can't really "rethink" things.

Edit: Oh, and I never said I planned on nursing in the dining room. Most likely I won't need to because I plan on feeding him some solids when we eat.

Edited by duchessuta
Needed to add

It's dinner for the parents, so why not dinner for the baby too? It's always appropriate to dine in the dining room.

I really can't imagine you having any issues. On my last cruise in May, there was a couple with a very fussy baby (maybe 8 or 9 months old?) standing behind me during the lifeboat portion of our muster drill. Before I even knew what was happening, the mother had managed to pull her t-shirt up and bra down and started nursing the baby. The only reaction I had was wonderment at her ninja-like skills in pulling the whole move off so smoothly! I was MUCH happier with a nursing baby behind me than a screaming one. ;)

It's dinner for the parents, so why not dinner for the baby too? It's always appropriate to dine in the dining room.

So if the breastfeeding mom was close to where I was sitting and my waiter came over to my table to take my order, is it ok to say "I will have what the baby is having"?

(just a little humor, lighten up....I have no issues with moms breastfeeding a baby)

Edited by First and Ten

So if the breastfeeding mom was close to where I was sitting and my waiter came over to my table to take my order, is it ok to say "I will have what the baby is having"?

(just a little humor, lighten up....I have no issues with moms breastfeeding a baby)

I literally lol'd at this. :D

Agree with you until it came to the "IT" part. Terrible choice of words

Why do a majority of women now seem to make it an issue. Is there no modesty anymore? It seems where in the past alot of women would find a secluded area or cover themselves now they simply sit down in the middle of where ever they are and start feeding. To me and I may be old fashioned but I wouldn't want strange men looking at my wife even if it was a natural thing. For the record ladies as a man I can tell you, yes we look that to is human nature and if a man tells you he doesn't he simply is lying.

Have you been around the pool? Most women in swim suits (or sometimes just their clothes) show just as much, if not more, than most women that breastfeed. (yes, there are extremes, but I'm talking on average.)

I wear mostly nursing shirts, so it's easy to feed him relatively discreetly.

I think consideration is the real issue. I breastfed and plan to with my next one due soon. However I think some women have almost become combative about it because it is something that makes some uncomfortable. They take offense to that so they go to extreme to prove they can do what they want. I went into a Walgreens and there was a woman breastfeeding and basically she was topless. Both breasts exposed. You don't need to put a blanket over your child but there is also no need to be that exposed either.

It's ok for people to be uncomfortable with it and it's ok for women to do it in public. But there is nothing wrong with being considerate of those that may be uncomfortable by not exposing more then necessary.

Edited by BeachChik

Totally the dinner companions problem. If they're not "body comfortable" that's their issue.

The companions should ignore it and continue on with their conversations.

Is this really an issue? I have never had a problem with any woman breastfeeding anywhere and when I see this question I have to wonder if they are trying to push the issue for a confrontation. Done properly, I cannot imagine most would even notice you breastfeeding.

I took my daughter on multiple cruisit's while breastfeeding and I never had any issues. No one said anything to me or treated me any different then if I was at home.most times i use a cover but honestly if it is to hot I won't use one.

Edited by muffin83

I think consideration is the real issue. I breastfed and plan to with my next one due soon. However I think some women have almost become combative about it because it is something that makes some uncomfortable. They take offense to that so they go to extreme to prove they can do what they want. I went into a Walgreens and there was a woman breastfeeding and basically she was topless. Both breasts exposed. You don't need to put a blanket over your child but there is also no need to be that exposed either.

It's ok for people to be uncomfortable with it and it's ok for women to do it in public. But there is nothing wrong with being considerate of those that may be uncomfortable by not exposing more then necessary.

I'm a young grandmother. Babies normally demand their feedings at predictable intervals. Women my age planned accordingly thus didn't need to nurse at a public location. Women my age felt that the early years of child rearing is about the children's schedules. What I see with millennial/genX women and child rearing is that it's all about the adults desires and the rest of the world must tolerate any choices they make.

I have no problem with women nursing in a public setting with a light cover but if the baby does not tolerate a cover then I feel the mom should move to a less public spot. It's not about us having negative body images but about modesty and consideration that we were raised with.

I'm a young grandmother. Babies normally demand their feedings at predictable intervals. Women my age planned accordingly thus didn't need to nurse at a public location. Women my age felt that the early years of child rearing is about the children's schedules. What I see with millennial/genX women and child rearing is that it's all about the adults desires and the rest of the world must tolerate any choices they make.

I have no problem with women nursing in a public setting with a light cover but if the baby does not tolerate a cover then I feel the mom should move to a less public spot. It's not about us having negative body images but about modesty and consideration that we were raised with.

I see nothing wrong with teaching children to adapt to adult schedules. In the grand scheme of things, that's how it's always been done. The whole family-revolving-around-the-child concept is relatively new.

I see nothing wrong with teaching children to adapt to adult schedules. In the grand scheme of things, that's how it's always been done. The whole family-revolving-around-the-child concept is relatively new.

Agree....The "Helicopter" parent syndrome....the little snowflake cannot have any disappointment, every whim catered to and you better give my kid a participation medal....we aren't allowed to keep score either because if they lose to bad, they will get discouraged, and we cant have that now :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

I never cruised with a baby but I vacationed to theme parks across the country with breastfed babies of all ages and never let breast feeding stop me from going anywhere. But I was always discreet when I nursed my kids, the majority of the time people didn't even realize I was nursing. There are nursing shawls that clip on that do not make babies hot, they are extremely light and comfy and get lots of airflow so the baby is sweltering in a blanket isn't a reality, I had light airy shawls 20 years ago so I know there are even better ones out there now and they can be put on in seconds and attach so baby can't whip them off you, they also don't lay on their faces so don't bother the baby. Not saying Moms have to cover up, just saying I see the baby gets too hot and hates a blanket in the face etc but there are lots of options out there so that's not a real excuse. If you don't want to cover up, just say you don't want to cover up. Own it

I obviously have nothing against breastfeeding but use some common courtesy when you do it. No, other people do not have a problem just because they don't want to see your boob hanging out. If you are actually feeding your baby and not making a spectacle of yourself there really shouldn't be anything showing. Even if you aren't wearing a nursing shirt and have to pull your top up once the baby is on there, there shouldn't be any major breast exposed. If you have your top pulled up to your shoulder and the other side exposed too, you are not doing for the babies benefit, you are doing to say hey world look at me, got a problem with it, tough.

No one should have to go back to their room to breastfeed or feel they need to hide but no one should be exposed to a woman flashing her breasts either. There's no reason to be flashing anyone to breastfeed a child even if you don't use a cover you can breastfeed without putting on a show.