Breastfeeding baby on cruise

duchessuta

While I would of course attempt this...if a baby isn't hungry at that moment, you can't force him to eat. I do always try to "top him off" (as I call it) when possible. But it doesn't always work or keep him from getting hungry again.

Very often babies eat on their own schedule. And silly to wake up an infant for something other than a very good reason.

He/she has a way of making one pay for it.

No offense, but I don't believe that's your call. Dinner in the dining room can take awhile. Though I probably will feed some solids, if my baby needed to nurse, I would nurse. I'm not going to have a starving, screaming baby...or leave my own meal because someone can't handle, or look away, from an infant eating. :cool::rolleyes:

It looks like you have gotten your answer to the original question. Some posters have just given their opinion as to how they would handle it but seems like you know exactly how you are planning to handle any situation that arises.

I see nothing wrong with you nursing your child as it is done all over the world.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I haven't read the entire thread and apologize if this was already mentioned, but the older the child is, the more easily distracted they will be and the less likely they will be to successfully nurse in a busy, loud, new place. At six months, a child is on a schedule which is fairly predictable. Of course you can discretely attempt to nurse wherever you may be,

but I would also plan on the potential to need to excuse yourself to your cabin to get your child to stay on task. Considering you probably know his or her schedule within 10-15 minutes either way, it shouldn't be too difficult to schedule yourself where you can be in a quieter spot or your cabin around those times. I am not saying you should nurse in the cabin, but rather that you might need to do so based on your child and their ability to successfully nurse in a new environment. Have a great cruise!

Very often babies eat on their own schedule. And silly to wake up an infant for something other than a very good reason.

He/she has a way of making one pay for it.

Considering CCL won't take children under six months, I am not seeing your point. Six month olds are typically on a great schedule, sleep through the night, and take both a morning and afternoon nap. They typically nurse five times a day, maybe six, and those times are as predictable as the sun rising and setting each day.

Considering CCL won't take children under six months, I am not seeing your point. Six month olds are typically on a great schedule, sleep through the night, and take both a morning and afternoon nap. They typically nurse five times a day, maybe six, and those times are as predictable as the sun rising and setting each day.

My grandkids wanted to eat when they wanted to eat and yes talking about babies over six months old.

No offense, but I don't believe that's your call. Dinner in the dining room can take awhile. Though I probably will feed some solids, if my baby needed to nurse, I would nurse. I'm not going to have a starving, screaming baby...or leave my own meal because someone can't handle, or look away, from an infant eating. :cool::rolleyes:

Just be discrete and OP mentioned she doesn't cover because the baby gets hot and doesn't like it. I don't think it's appropriate without discretion.

ROFLMAO!

Wow...if you had a 6 month old baby like that, you should consider yourself very blessed! Because not a single one of the babies I've known, friends, family, and coworkers included, are like you have described...especially in a new environment. But hey...there's bound to be a baby out there that is that predictable, I guess. I'm just not so lucky. Or maybe my LO likes to be a little more spontaneous. :rolleyes::cool:

My grandkids wanted to eat when they wanted to eat and yes talking about babies over six months old.

If that's the way their mother wants it to be, then that's her choice, but usually babies eat or are on a schedule and not just by demand.

Just an FYI when breastfeeding baby's get hunger sooner. Also a simple search on this topic would reveal that human milk is digested within 1.5 hrs. Considering on this forum some people have posted that dinner can take up to two hrs, a feeding as going to happen.

Go for it, besides target tried to regulate breastfeeding and looked what it caused.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very hot Caribbean sun requires regular hydration - for the baby too - it's not just about "hunger".

I know this is slightly off topic, but 23 years ago when I breastfed my first, my father-in-law told me I should go into the bedroom to do it - and - wait for it - THIS WAS AT MY HOUSE! I told him if he didn't like it, he should leave the room - so he did. He left the house while he was at it but, oh well.

My OWN MOTHER wanted to leave the mall when it was time to breastfeed my newborn, which I did discreetly with a shawl at a table in the food court. Uh, no way!

Given that it was that hard to get support from my own family, i didn't even consider whether people in the general public liked it - just did what I did.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL cruise, it's a great age to take kids on vacation, they are so portable then, and they stay where you put them, as compared to a year later when you have to drag toys and apple juice.... and sometimes a second baby, lol.

1st - I am a past breastfeeding mom. 3 children. And yes I did so in public. But that being said, I was the lady in the back of the restaurant, facing the wall and probably no one in the place even knew I was doing it. Mom's my age had loose tops that pulled up from the bottom and the top of our body and "you know whats" were covered. The majority of the Mom's I see now have so little clothes on, their entire top half of their body is naked. And the "you know whats" are in our faces. And they are sitting in the front row, facing out asking folks to check them out! Now I know that is probably a generalization, but it is what I see out and about.

2nd - If my baby was not on somewhat of a schedule and/or a very good baby, I would not be taking he/she on a cruise. Can't see how it would be much fun for anyone.

Hope I don't offend the OP, but those are my thoughts on the subject.

Edited by dd likes to cruise

Thank you. Yes, he will be 6 months on our cruise. I'm a pretty modest person, though having a baby and nursing has changed that a lot. I don't want to have to run to my cabin every time he's hungry, for your reasons posted, and because I want to be able to enjoy myself.

My LO also HATES covers. He will never eat as much when he has a cover over him. Who can blame him?! I wouldn't want to eat with a blanket or cover over my head and face. He's also like an oven, so he gets hot very quickly too.

Mine always pooped after feeding.... you have to go back to the cabin for the diaper change anyway.....

Mine always pooped after feeding.... you have to go back to the cabin for the diaper change anyway.....

LOL, forgot about that part.

Not saying the OP would do so, but it amazes me how many mothers think anyplace is an OK place to change their child. Saw a lady doing it in a table in Starbucks last week. The restroom with a changing table was available. Can't believe the manager didn't ask her to leave. A lot of customers did over it!

LOL, forgot about that part.

Not saying the OP would do so, but it amazes me how many mothers think anyplace is an OK place to change their child. Saw a lady doing it in a table in Starbucks last week. The restroom with a changing table was available. Can't believe the manager didn't ask her to leave. A lot of customers did over it!

That is disgusting and unsanitary. No, I wouldn't do that. Big difference between feedings a baby anywhere and changing their diaper anywhere.

2nd - If my baby was not on somewhat of a schedule and/or a very good baby, I would not be taking he/she on a cruise. Can't see how it would be much fun for anyone.

Hope I don't offend the OP, but those are my thoughts on the subject.

No offense taken... But just different opinions. My baby is a very easy, laid back, and happy baby. So I don't worry about traveling with him. But he doesn't always stick to a schedule. And I'm ok with that. His pediatrician told me to feed him on demand. Sometimes they nurse bc they're hungry, sometimes it's bc they're thirsty, and sometimes it's just bc he wants the comfort of mama.

Now that is gross and discusting.

My child was not the least bit on a schedule. Didn't sleep through the night until 8.5 months and when I was nearly stark raving mad from lack of sleep.

I am a past breastfeeding mom 17 years:eek: I just always did it in private, and when I went out in general public I had bottles. That is what I just did because I didn't feel comfortable doing it in public or big family gaitherings unless it was the women of my family or girl friends. If you feel comfortable then do what is best for you and your baby. Have a great cruise!!!!

I work in a children's museum. I see breastfeeding done in many different ways. We have a nursing nook for privacy, but most of the time the nursing moms are right out in the open. Only a couple of times have a seen bare skin, usually they cover with a blanket. I had an older female guest tell me that we should not allow that on the museum floor, but I am not allowed to say anything. To each her own. It's your child.