Breastfeeding baby on cruise

duchessuta

To the OP, I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I hope you continue to breastfeed your baby when and where you need to, and I hope you don't have the misfortune to have any of these easily offended posters on your vacation. If you want to feed in private then do so, but if you and your baby are happy to feed whenever and wherever he or she needs it, without dashing back to the cabin each time they are hungry then good luck to you!

With so few mothers breastfeeding beyond the first week (or even at all!) you should be incredibly proud of yourself for having given your baby the very best start in life. Everything he or she is has come from you and you should be justifiably pleased with yourself.

Good luck and keep feeding!

Thank you so much.

Hello, I am taking my LO on our cruise in August and he is still nursing. I haven't found anything on Carnival's website about whether they are supportive of nursing moms. Has anyone had any experience breastfeeding their babies on a cruise? I know some people tend to have very strong feelings against moms feeding their babies in public and just wonder if carnival is supportive. TIA.

Doesn't matter what THEY thing. You do what and where you are most comfortable to feed your child, including the dining room.

Not if they must sit there bare breasted!

I am going to use the line that all of those who ignore the dress code use, "If you don't like it, don't look"

But seriously, only once in the last 10 years or so have I seen someone nurse bare breasted. Most of the time the mother wears a loose top, so the baby is tucked underneath or the put a loose shawl over the baby. You have probably been around many nursing mothers and not realized it because it is so discreet.

Only one at a time.:) And as long as it is done reasonably discreetly nobody should care at all.

Care, some of us do. Is it not in the books that prior to going to the DR a baby can't be roused with a fresh diaper, clothed, fed? Free up the parent to dine and enjoy the meal? Wouldn't that be more organized and enjoyable?

There's a big difference between a school age child being told to wait for a snack or meal and a nursing baby. To deny a baby nourishment for several hours just to accommodate the rest of the family's schedule is downright abuse. It's not about being a helicopter parent, it is being a parent.

I don't believe anyone suggested a baby wait several hours to eat - I think any references here involved a couple of minutes while Mom found a quiet place. My DH has mobility problems so anywhere we hang out on the ship he scouts out the location of the nearest bathrooms. I would assume it would be the same if nursing - they would scout out the best spot for them to nurse. (and no I did NOT say baby should be nursed in the bathroom - I was referencing they find a spot out of the main)

What I can't believe is there is even a thread about this and we don't accept breastfeeding as a natural part of life! and for those who think a baby should eat on schedule, do you eat all your meals scheduled all the time?

Pat

I find it hard to believe a mom has no earthly idea approximately when her baby will want to eat. The vast majority of humans get hungry at fairly regular intervals. Most parents put their children down for naps and bedtime at a fairly regular schedule. Nobody suggested a formal schedule where baby is allowed to eat only on a strict schedule.

See responses in red :)

Edited by summersigh

Most of the time the mother wears a loose top, so the baby is tucked underneath or the put a loose shawl over the baby. You have probably been around many nursing mothers and not realized it because it is so discreet.

Sounds about right to me. Moms should do what they need to do without being made to feel like outcasts. Many moms DO try to feed with some modesty. At least all the ones I personally know, and with a toddler that is a lot of moms! So I agree, it probably happens all around and many people are oblivious to it entirely.

Some do try to "make a point" about it and eschew modesty, but that's very, very rare. And that's their decision and fine anyways. If you catch a glimpse of a breast, big deal, right? You probably see more on the Lido deck on a sea day...

Moms should do what is best for their baby. If a guest doesn't like it, that guest needs to relocate. Shaming the mom for doing the natural thing is abhorrent.

I fed all my children the way that nature intended and I do have strong feelings about it.

I always looked for an out of the way spot and used a light drape, but everyone is different.

I have seen people breastfeeding in ways that seemed to be more about making a statement than feeding a child, but whatever.

And most of the time people never notice.

So my advice to the op would be to do onboard the ship what you feel comfortable with or what you would do at home.

Not if they must sit there bare breasted!

Most people state they never notice what others are wearing in the MDR. SO even if she was sitting there topless sans a child, no one would even flinch. And their food would taste the same. I think that's how it goes.

Care, some of us do. Is it not in the books that prior to going to the DR a baby can't be roused with a fresh diaper, clothed, fed? Free up the parent to dine and enjoy the meal? Wouldn't that be more organized and enjoyable?

Makes sense to me :)

Rouse a sleeping child? Um, childless?

I used to love nursing at the pool or the beach because everyone (swimmers and sunbathers) is already half naked anyway! Lol! I felt like no one ever noticed me nursing at all, no matter how crowded it was. I hear the wait for food in the dining room can be lengthy. So maybe ask for a seat by a window so you're not in the middle of the dining room if baby fusses? You'd probably go relatively unnoticed that way, too. Just thinking of ideas, and how I might do it. My favorite way to cover up was a swaddle blanket - the stretchy kind are the best for that!!! Again, just thoughts based on how I would handle it... I'm not trying to give direction on what you should or should not do in any way. 😊

Rouse a sleeping child? Um, childless?

Are you serious??????????? Of course you can rouse a child and it could be done gently. If you have a pediatrician appointment for say 2 p.m. do you wait for a baby to wake up and say "Doc, I had to wait for Johnny to wake up, so that's why I'm late"? Good grief people:eek:

Are you serious??????????? Of course you can rouse a child and it could be done gently. If you have a pediatrician appointment for say 2 p.m. do you wait for a baby to wake up and say "Doc, I had to wait for Johnny to wake up, so that's why I'm late"? Good grief people:eek:

Perhaps it's just me, but I would think it foolish to set up a pediatrician appointment while on a cruise for ANY time.

While typically I'm all for letting sleeping babies sleep, to think you never wake a sleeping baby is as stated ridiculous. Are you planning on scheduling your life around your baby's sleeping habits? If so you might as well schedule it around their eating schedule too and then you won't have to worry about public breast feeding. We're taking things a bit to the extreme.

If you are going to dinner and the baby is asleep of course you are going to wake them and get them ready. You aren't going to take them in a wet diaper and nap time diapers are always wet, you are also probably going to want to change their clothes, might as well feed them too.

I have no problems with feeding them in the DR. I've fed mine in some fancy restaurants but always did it discreetly. No one wants to hear or see a screaming hungry baby so feed them, just use some discretion.

I find it hard to believe a mom has no earthly idea approximately when her baby will want to eat. The vast majority of humans get hungry at fairly regular intervals. Most parents put their children down for naps and bedtime at a fairly regular schedule. Nobody suggested a formal schedule where baby is allowed to eat only on a strict schedule.

See responses in red :)

You might think so, and usually I do know approximately when he'll get hungry. But sometimes he may get hungry up to an hour earlier, or later, than I thought. His nap may go longer than expected, or shorter. And no, he naps when he's tired. Infants don't usually have a set nap time...at least none that I've been around. And like I said before...traveling and different environments can throw off even the best schedules. Changes can mean a baby might want/need to nurse more often.

Sorry, but that's pushing the button a bit far in the DR.

No offense, but I don't believe that's your call. Dinner in the dining room can take awhile. Though I probably will feed some solids, if my baby needed to nurse, I would nurse. I'm not going to have a starving, screaming baby...or leave my own meal because someone can't handle, or look away, from an infant eating. :cool::rolleyes:

While I would of course attempt this...if a baby isn't hungry at that moment, you can't force him to eat. I do always try to "top him off" (as I call it) when possible. But it doesn't always work or keep him from getting hungry again.