Sun Princess Mini Suite with metal balcony

Hi,

Sun Princess, Mini Suite, Baja deck.

Any chance anyone has a pic or can describe to me the metal balcony - is it higher or same level as the regular Perspex balconies? We love to sit out on our balcony and watch the sea swooshing by so I am worried this type may not be for us.

I was looking at nabbing a special for hubbys bday next year on a short coastal Brissy to Sydney & there are only metal balconies.

I am googling but not finding a pic. We want to book a mini suite as my son will be with us.

cheers

Dee :)

Hi to_dee

This is a pic of an Aloha deck balcony cabin on the Dawn Princess. The balcony on a Sun Princess mini suite on Baja deck will look the same but maybe slighter wider.

Dawn%20Princess%20Aloha%20Deck%20Balcony.jpg

The top rail of the balcony is regular height, then there are a few narrow bars across the open section below that, but not right down to deck level.

You can see the sea swooshing by.

Essentially the balconies are cut-outs from the side of the original hull, and since the mini-suites are double the width of a regular balcony cabin you wil have two cut-outs, not a railing running the full width.

These were taken on Sun Princess July 2015 - our mini suite had two doors to the balcony, one from the sitting area and one from the sleeping area. The whole layout of the cabin is a bit quirky in my opinion ... (for more photos of mini suite see https://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/6177221279633270161

DSC35824.JPG

DSC35825.JPG

Edited by boeckli

Given the Sun class ships are quite old they don't appear to be too bad. Haven't cruised in one myself but have peeked into them when the doors were open. The minis in the other classes of ships are just an extended cabin - slightly longer with space for a sofa but still the same width as a regular balcony. The Sun class ones are huge by comparison.

BTW I found those ledges at the bottom of the balcony very useful for parking drinks, water bottle, etc. Especially the bits at the edges.

It's just a shame that the Princess balcony furniture is so crappy. :(

BTW I found those ledges at the bottom of the balcony very useful for parking drinks, water bottle, etc. Especially the bits at the edges.

It's just a shame that the Princess balcony furniture is so crappy. :(

We found the furniture the least crappy bit of the balcony ... have seldom seen so much rust and the blue stuff underfoot was broken in parts and certainly not conducive to being barefoot :(

It certainly didn't look good in your photos. We were on Sun Dec14, in a Baja balcony cabin right next to the mini-suites, and our balcony was in quite good condition. A couple of tiny rust spots and that's all.

She's been in dry dock since then so hopefully they've attended to stuff like that.

Wow ...thanks again for all the extra info!

Good to see those extra pics - gosh I am surprised the interior is a lot bigger than the mini suite we had on Diamond Princess which is great but the balcony is so narrow. Eek the rust is a bit gruesome and that blue stuff yuck. I really appreciate the info and pics. Always good to manage my expectations LOL. Mind you as long as I can hear and see the sea swoosh by I am happy :D

Thanks for the photos - we are looking forward to 26 days in a mini on Sea Princess in Sep. Might have to take a wire brush and a can of white paint to touch up any rust spots on the balcony - couldn't stand to look at that every day!! Would give me something productive to do on sea days rather than feeling guilty about relaxing/enjoying myself..

These were taken on Sun Princess July 2015 - our mini suite had two doors to the balcony, one from the sitting area and one from the sleeping area. The whole layout of the cabin is a bit quirky in my opinion ... (for more photos of mini suite see https://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/6177221279633270161

Stunning photos Boeckli. I was only going to look at the photos of the Mini Suite but became totally immersed. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for the photos - we are looking forward to 26 days in a mini on Sea Princess in Sep. Might have to take a wire brush and a can of white paint to touch up any rust spots on the balcony - couldn't stand to look at that every day!! Would give me something productive to do on sea days rather than feeling guilty about relaxing/enjoying myself..

ha! A quick pre-dinner maintenance LOL

Stunning photos Boeckli. I was only going to look at the photos of the Mini Suite but became totally immersed. Thanks for sharing :)

Happy to hear that you enjoyed them!

Edited by boeckli