Iceland w/Greenland or Norway?

I don't know if I can give that information here on a general thread. If you're interested, I have a roll call thread for August 9 2017. Pretty sure we can discuss it there.

Terri

Have people chosen Reykjavik hotel yet? Nothing stands out for me. We're mainly looking for something that's quiet.

About 2 or 3 years ago I stayed at the Radisson Blu 1919 hotel. I would recommend it. The hotel accommodations were very good and the location is excellent. It is well-located for restaurants, the waterfront, shopping, and tourist sights in the area. I do not recall any noise problems.

I have no experience with other hotels in Reykjavik but what I noticed is that some of the major chain hotels are not in great locations for tourists who don't have a car, i.e., they can be a long walk from the downtown area (which is not very large).

Yep, I think my wife was trying to factor that into our time away. This whole 'still having a job' thing really gets in the way of cruising...it's times like this I think being independently wealthy would be pretty cool.

You are right about that. The having a job thing is a real bummer, but since the independently wealthy thing hasn't worked out, it is the alternative.

In Reykjavik, we stay at the Hilton. Long walk to downtown but they have free shuttle. Rooms are very Nordic, but nice.

For those, like us, who look to earn/use Hilton points, the Nordica (very nice, but a bit of a hoof away from downtown) has been the only choice until recently. Now there is a newly opened Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre. Canopy is the new Hilton boutique hotel brand. We haven't stayed there (literally just opened) but you can both find it on the Hilton site and also a discussion thread on the Hilton Forum on FlyerTalk. We'll probably try it the next time we're in Rykjavik if the reviews are good.

Having visited all three, definitely Norway over Greenland. Sailing up those fjords alone makes it worthwhile.

I didn't notice if either trip sails through Prince Edward Sound. That's the main reason to include Greenland. On land, it's rather simple. I'm glad we went, but...

Poss, we tried to book the Navigator Iceland trip based on your input. We are currently on the Mariner enjoying Alaska. We learned that the cheapest cabin available is a Penthouse A and it is on a guarantee. I didn' want to see you disappointed so I thought I would let you know. We booked the more expensive Explorer trip but have 30 days to make a final decision.

Thanks for posting, Eager2Travel. Yeh, I know that the Navigator cruise is booked. I'd been back-and-forthing for so long that by the time I decided to book, I saw that category E was wait-listed only. So now I'm back to considering Explorer, which I'm not awfully interested in, mainly because it's so costly, but also because I don't think we'll like the ship as much as Mariner and Voyager. (Well, I was hesitant about Navigator as well, because of absence of Observation Lounge) If we can do a G2 cabin, I'll be signing on for that Explorer itinerary, and crossing-fingers that all the razz-ma-tazz won't be overly discomfiting. The sticking point has been the bed-width question: so many different reports on whether it's same size as the other Regent beds-- or whether Regent skimped on "lower" cabin sizes on Explorer.

How do you have 30 days, btw? Actually, I tentatively booked a G2 on that cruise, but my window is only one week.

I'm glad you're enjoying Alaska! I'm half-thinking that if the Reyk-Copenhagen doesn't work out, I'll just book another Alaska trip. But I really would like to see some new places while it's still possible, as the window for such things is narrowing.

Thanks for posting-- and maybe we'll meet on board!

We put down the deposit but it is my understanding with an onboard booking we have 30 days to get a full refund. We plan to get into Iceland early, stay at a less expensive hotel and arrange day trips with a local operator.

We have been there before and I think it is user friendly. We, too, prefer simplicity to glitz but at this stage of life I am not into delaying cruises. It would be great to share the cruise but Alaska is always memorable.

Edited by Eager2Travel