Breeze or Dream?

bphawk64

I am looking at booking the Dream out of New Orleans or the Breeze out of Galveston in Jan, 2017. Same itinerary, same price and can't decide which ship. Only difference is two seas to begin on the Dream and two to end on the Breeze. I like the idea of the Breeze being newer and having a few extras like Guys Burgers, Thrill Theatre, Hub internet App, etc but the idea of sailing down the Mississippi sounds pretty cool too. We are a family of four with 21 & 13 yr old kids and are we may drive to the port depending on airfare prices. This will be my DH & kids first Carnival cruise after being on Caribbean Princess & the NCL Getaway (they much preferred the Getaway) Anybody been on both or sailed out of both ports?

I noticed that the Dream pricing is lower than the Breeze over all. I booked the Breeze for Jan 2017 as I have been on the Dream(loved it!!). Also, for me only a three hour flight from Vegas to Hobby Airport. I'm sure which ever you pick will just be terrific. I loved the Tandoor on the Dream and so looking forward to eating there on the Breeze. Dream has so many hot tubs and that really surprised me. Many times, my husband and I were the only ones in the hot tub. I just loved the Dream and I am hoping I will love the Breeze as much.

Thanks Guys...I didn't think about the trip down the Mississippi being after dark in January. Thanks for pointing that out! At this point I'm leaning towards the Breeze as the price is almost exactly the same and the ship seems slightly nicer to me.

Been on the Dream out of NOLA and it's a beautiful ship and cruise. We were on the Dream on 8/3/14-8/10/14. The trip down the Mississippi was phenomenal. Last year, my mom and I cruised on the Magic out of Galveston (spring break) and getting to the port was a little expensive. We flew on Southwest into Hobby and had transportation arrangements with ALA VIP. The drive from Houston to Galveston was almost an hour due to traffic. We stayed at the Comfort Inn on Seawall Blvd.

Yes, the Breeze is a newer ship and it's in the same class as the Dream, I would suggest to cruise on the Dream. If the price of getting from Houston to the Port of Galveston don't concern you, then the Breeze will be perfect! Hope this helps and have a great cruise [emoji106]🏾

I've been on both in last 2 years-if price is the same I'd pick Breeze but last year I chose New Orleans because a significant price difference and discounting distance (from Dallas) I prefer New Orleans where boarding seems to be easier, parking at port is covered with elevators, you can save hundreds of dollars in hotel charges alone and New Orleans is an extra nite of fun

It seems the majority prefers the Breeze but after doing some research I'm starting to wonder about the winter weather in these two ports. It seems Galveston's weather is terrible in the winter and we wouldn't even be able to enjoy the pools, slides, etc for the sea days. Any thoughts on this? Maybe I need to look at changing dates although I was in New Orleans for New Years once and the weather was pretty decent.

It seems the majority prefers the Breeze but after doing some research I'm starting to wonder about the winter weather in these two ports. It seems Galveston's weather is terrible in the winter and we wouldn't even be able to enjoy the pools, slides, etc for the sea days. Any thoughts on this? Maybe I need to look at changing dates although I was in New Orleans for New Years once and the weather was pretty decent.

But the sea days you will be out in the Caribbean not still in Texas :) we have gone in March several times and always get a nice sunburn even when the weather is nasty back in the states.

I am looking at booking the Dream out of New Orleans or the Breeze out of Galveston in Jan, 2017. Same itinerary, same price and can't decide which ship. Only difference is two seas to begin on the Dream and two to end on the Breeze. I like the idea of the Breeze being newer and having a few extras like Guys Burgers, Thrill Theatre, Hub internet App, etc but the idea of sailing down the Mississippi sounds pretty cool too. We are a family of four with 21 & 13 yr old kids and are we may drive to the port depending on airfare prices. This will be my DH & kids first Carnival cruise after being on Caribbean Princess & the NCL Getaway (they much preferred the Getaway) Anybody been on both or sailed out of both ports?

We stay away from Galveston, hard to get to $$ and the place is a dump.

• 1 month later...

I sailed aboard the Dream last year and did not like it at all. I sailed on the Breeze a few weeks ago and it was great. I will be on the Breeze again in about three weeks. I seriously doubt that I will ever sail on the Dream again. It was the least favorite cruise I have experienced!

The Dream is by far my favorite ship of all. I have had 3 magnificent cruises on board the Dream. But while the Breeze was still a great ship, it fell short of the standard that Dream set (for me). Several small things were changed with the Magic/Breeze that are worse than the way Dream did it. Also, I personally prefer the more lively decor of the Dream, by comparison to the toned down (I call it boring) decor of the Breeze, but many people prefer the more bland decor. When on vacation, I want things lively, not toned down, but I understand that many people want things more toned down on vacation. Dream certainly has had unbelievably superior entertainment to the Breeze. However, Dream is removing all of those advantages at their next drydock. But if your planned week is before the drydock, then Dream will still have those advantages: much better shows & the amazing Blackjack Band, all going away at the next drydock. I sailed Dream both before & after Breeze, and Dream was still by far the winner for me. I didn't even care or notice that Dream didn't have branded burgers or breakfast burritos. Dream had some food options that Breeze didn't.

In regards to ports, New Orleans is a more interesting port to visit. Galveston isn't that bad; it's just not as interesting. Plus, Galveston does have the very long shuttle from the airport, if you're flying. And Galveston has the common fog issue. Sailing down the Mississippi is not that big of a deal, but it is unique. I was able to see the pilot getting on the pilot boat at 12:30am. Normally, the pilot is on the ship for about 10 minutes, but here, it's 8 hours.