Has anyone used Marezine (AKA Marzine) for seasickness?

ExpatBride

I'm very prone to seasickness and the accupressure bands don't work for me. I've read a lot of good things on CC about Bonine, which isn't available in any form in Denmark.

My Dr. has prescribed Marezine (AKA Marzine) for my upcoming cruise, the active ingredient is Cyclizine.

Drowsiness is listed as a side effect, but it's also listed as a side effect with Bonine, which a lot of people find not to be the case.

Does anyone have experience with this medication? I'm mostly worried about drowsiness and whether or not I'll be able to have cocktails with it.

Incidentally, I'm also trying to decide whether or not I should purchase a beverage package, which if I'm going to be knocked out on seasickness meds is probably not the best way to go.

I'm also bringing ginger capsules with me and hope they will suffice but after sailing through a hurricane in January and being seasick for 10 days straight, I want make sure I cover my bases.

I'm very prone to seasickness and the accupressure bands don't work for me. I've read a lot of good things on CC about Bonine, which isn't available in any form in Denmark.

My Dr. has prescribed Marezine (AKA Marzine) for my upcoming cruise, the active ingredient is Cyclizine.

Drowsiness is listed as a side effect, but it's also listed as a side effect with Bonine, which a lot of people find not to be the case.

Does anyone have experience with this medication? I'm mostly worried about drowsiness and whether or not I'll be able to have cocktails with it.

Incidentally, I'm also trying to decide whether or not I should purchase a beverage package, which if I'm going to be knocked out on seasickness meds is probably not the best way to go.

I'm also bringing ginger capsules with me and hope they will suffice but after sailing through a hurricane in January and being seasick for 10 days straight, I want make sure I cover my bases.

Hi EB,

Bonine's generic name is Meclizine here in the States. I think it's very effective and has only a few minor side effects (yes, you can have alcohol). Inexpensive, at about less than $10 for 100 25mg tablets. Marezine maybe similar? If you are coming to the US to board your ship, you could stop by any pharmacy and pick up some Meclizine over the counter. Bonnie will be out on the floor (expensive); just ask the Pharmacist for the Meclizine.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

Hi EB,

Bonine's generic name is Meclizine here in the States. I think it's very effective and has only a few minor side effects (yes, you can have alcohol). Inexpensive, at about less than $10 for 100 25mg tablets. Marezine maybe similar? If you are coming to the US to board your ship, you could stop by any pharmacy and pick up some Meclizine over the counter. Bonnie will be out on the floor (expensive); just ask the Pharmacist for the Meclizine.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Thanks, but it's a Baltics cruise, leaving from Copenhagen. So the only seasickness medicine available to me is what I mentioned in my OP.

Not sure what cruiseline you are sailing, but on HAL ships, you can get Sea Calm(meclizine) free at the front desk or medical centre. You might want to check on your specific ship forum to see if they provide seasick meds.

Not sure what cruiseline you are sailing, but on HAL ships, you can get Sea Calm(meclizine) free at the front desk or medical centre. You might want to check on your specific ship forum to see if they provide seasick meds.

Cool! I'm sailing HAL. Thanks for the info :)

My doctor gave me a prescription for scopolamine, worn as a patch behind the ear. I have also used bonine and the wrist bands. Despite using all and combinations of them, I would still experience motion sickness. The first time I cruised, I felt motion as soon as the ships engines were started.

For me, the most effective aid has been ginger. Since using ginger, I have never felt motion sickness and this includes rough sea days in which the outer deck was closed, bags were placed on the stair railings and many fellow passengers did become ill.

For me, the most effective aid has been ginger. Since using ginger, I have never felt motion sickness and this includes rough sea days in which the outer deck was closed, bags were placed on the stair railings and many fellow passengers did become ill.

This option really interests me. How much do you take and how often?

This option really interests me. How much do you take and how often?

Whatever the dosage on the bottle was...either 1 or 2 capsules every 4 hours.

I would advise that you take ginger the day prior to boarding, so that it is already in your system. The first time I took it I was already on the ship and I was wearing the patch. The captain announced that the following day, the sea would be rough. Hearing that made me start on ginger and I felt no effects at all from the bad weather which we did encounter on the following day. Since then, ginger is my go to remedy for motion sickness.