Panama Canal cruise excursion

nbreit

I'm looking into a partial, round-trip canal trip. The Cruise Critic suggested completing the 2nd & 3rd lock crossing in a smaller boat and then return to the cruise ship via motor coach. Has anyone ever done this? How do I find out about this excursion starting in Gamboa, Panama?

it is usually offered by the cruise line

check the excursion list for your cruise

This is one excursion I would not do as an independent in case of delay in the locks

Welcome to Cruise Critic... All of the cruise lines that offer partial Canal transits have the excursion you are asking about. They call by different names but what it is, once your ship locks through Gatun Locks and reaches Gatun Lake you tender off the ship where you will be bussed to the Pacific side of the Isthmus. The boat portion of the tour can start from Gamboa, however it is just as likely to start in the Pacific Ocean... really makes no difference in which way the tour operates, it depends on Canal traffic. Once you have passed through the two Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut you are bussed back to Colon to meet your ship.

For ships stopping in the lake, you MUST take ship excursions. Frankly, the trip through the locks is an "excursion" unto itself! No real need to get off to do it on a smaller vessel! Many passengers will depart the ship, leaving a lovely, uncrowded ship for the afternoon in the lake and back out of the locks again! I recommend NOT getting off the ship, but staying to enjoy that for which you've already paid!

Edited by cb at sea

We looked into doing it independently using a ferry - but the timescale was woefully short and even that not guaranteed, because of the afore-mentioned potential for delays at the locks.

But l'll respectfully disagree with those who suggest staying on the ship - you'll want to pass thro the Cut and the new locks, and into the Pacific.

One of the rare occasions when I'd strongly recommend taking ship's offering.

BTW, we were well looked-after on the boat, with endless fruit, cakes and chilled drinks included..

And On our ship the trip sold out long before the cruise - so I suggest you book sooner rather than later.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

That was the best ship's excursion we've ever taken this side of the Atlantic.

Yeah, the cruise ship goes thru the Gatun locks, but you're 17 stories above them and can't really see the lock. In the smaller ferry you get a sense of the scale of the locks which is incredible.

Welcome to Cruise Critic... All of the cruise lines that offer partial Canal transits have the excursion you are asking about. They call by different names but what it is, once your ship locks through Gatun Locks and reaches Gatun Lake you tender off the ship where you will be bussed to the Pacific side of the Isthmus. The boat portion of the tour can start from Gamboa, however it is just as likely to start in the Pacific Ocean... really makes no difference in which way the tour operates, it depends on Canal traffic. Once you have passed through the two Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut you are bussed back to Colon to meet your ship.

Thank you! very good information

That was the best ship's excursion we've ever taken this side of the Atlantic.

Yeah, the cruise ship goes thru the Gatun locks, but you're 17 stories above them and can't really see the lock. In the smaller ferry you get a sense of the scale of the locks which is incredible.

Totally agree! Not only can you see the locks and what is going on better, you can reach out and touch the side of the lock. That simply cannot be done while on the cruise ship.