A couple of dining tips for Getaway/Breakaway

kay1864

Have a question about the lunchtime lobster rolls at Ocean Blue. Was wondering if the lobster rolls come with anything like salad or whatever, or is it just $10. for the lobster roll itself?

It comes with a bunch of hand made potatoe chips. They are thick and yummy.

It comes with a bunch of hand made potatoe chips. They are thick and yummy.

We love the Lobster Rolls and chips! And we love sitting there on the Water Front enjoying the ocean breeze to enjoy them. As these are only available on 'at sea' days, we make a point of having lunch there.

People wore whatever they wanted whenever they wanted in Taste, Savor and the Manhattan Room on our recent Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. I am not looking necessarily to go back to the days of two dress nights on a cruise and the extra packing that entailed but it was not a pleasure to be seated at dinner next to people who are dressed in ratty looking tee shirts, gym shorts, bathing suit cover-ups and who knows what. There were a few people who did dress as if dress nights were the rule in suits and I even saw one man in a tux. It was always fun to see older kids at dinner for family reunions dressed in khakis and blazers or neatly pressed polos.

When we cruised on Princess a few years ago on Western Caribbean cruise, men were turned away at dinner by the maitre'd if not wearing long pants at dinner.

This is very interesting. My husband and I cruised on the Getaway in June and had the SDP that included 4 specialties (it is now 3). We did La Cucina, Le Bistro, Ocean Blue (up charge), and Teppanyaki. We enjoyed Ocean Blue, but La Cunia and Le Bistro were very disappointing. In fact, the service was just plain BAD. Teppanyaki was a fun experience, but my food was not good. I am allergic to garlic, so they had to make my food in the back and bring it out separately. I didn't mind that fact, but the food was VERY cold and brought out all at one time. My husband said that his was good, and the "show" of the who experience was nice.

We LOVED Taste and Savor, and we really enjoyed O'Sheehan's (which we all had for the first time when we boarded). Because we had such good experiences with the free restuarants and such mediocre to poor experiences at the pay places, we have decided that for our next cruise (June 2017) we are taking the UBP and free gratuities as our two "free" choices.

My Amenity Confirmations states I am entitled to 6 Meal Specialty Dining Package

Can anyone tell me their preference - favorite - least favorite

of the following restaurants.

Moderno

Teppanyaki

Cagney's Steakhouse

Le Bistro

La Cucina

Thanks!

Cagney's - If you love a good steak (hearing Tomahawk had disappeared on some menus but we had it on August Jewel)

Le Bistro - If you don't mind heavy sauces (hearing in another thread Lobster might be disappearing from the specialty menus)

Teppenyaki - No fire allowed in the show.

La Cucina - I happen to like the spaghetti Bolognese offered in MDR so I don't see myself eating at this one.

Moderno - If you like lots of different heavily cooked meats served to you with a salad bar on the side.

Cagney's - If you love a good steak (hearing Tomahawk had disappeared on some menus but we had it on August Jewel)

Le Bistro - If you don't mind heavy sauces (hearing in another thread Lobster might be disappearing from the specialty menus)

Teppenyaki - No fire allowed in the show.

La Cucina - I happen to like the spaghetti Bolognese offered in MDR so I don't see myself eating at this one.

Moderno - If you like lots of different heavily cooked meats served to you with a salad bar on the side.

Thanks!

Now I have an idea what is served in each restaurant.

Just off the Getaway and can confirm there is no lobster on any menu. Surf and turf in Cagney's is grilled shrimp. That said, we had a very good week of dining. For our group Cagney's and Moderno's stood out but Le Bistro and Teppenyaki were also very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just off the Getaway and can confirm there is no lobster on any menu. Surf and turf in Cagney's is grilled shrimp. That said, we had a very good week of dining. For our group Cagney's and Moderno's stood out but Le Bistro and Teppenyaki were also very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

same price ($25)?

and for Le Bistro, do you know what did they replaced the cold water lobster tail ($25) with?

Edited by fstuff1

Just off the Getaway a week ago, and loved the lobster at Le Bistro and the seafood extravaganza at Ocean Blue, which included plenty of lobster (more than enough for 2). As another poster mentioned, we also enjoyed the lobster roll for lunch one day at Ocean Blue. At Tepanyaki, the filet and shrimp was fantastic and perfectly cooked. If you like sushi, you must try Wasabi Sushi. Illusionarium was the only meal we didn't care for, but we loved the show. Try to make reservations early for the specialty restaurants, as some of them had no availability toward the end of the week.

Just off the Getaway a week ago, and loved the lobster at Le Bistro and the seafood extravaganza at Ocean Blue, which included plenty of lobster (more than enough for 2). As another poster mentioned, we also enjoyed the lobster roll for lunch one day at Ocean Blue. At Tepanyaki, the filet and shrimp was fantastic and perfectly cooked. If you like sushi, you must try Wasabi Sushi. Illusionarium was the only meal we didn't care for, but we loved the show. Try to make reservations early for the specialty restaurants, as some of them had no availability toward the end of the week.

Okay. I'm officially confused. One OP says there is lobster in Le Bistro and the other who also just got off The Getaway said there is no lobster on any menu. Can someone clarify. I have reservations at both Cagneys and Le Bistro and was hoping to get lobster somewhere or at very least a bowl of lobster bisque.

Okay. I'm officially confused. One OP says there is lobster in Le Bistro and the other who also just got off The Getaway said there is no lobster on any menu. Can someone clarify. I have reservations at both Cagneys and Le Bistro and was hoping to get lobster somewhere or at very least a bowl of lobster bisque.

The person that sailed a week ago had lobster, but the person that sailed the following week (got off yesterday) reported it's gone now.

Not to worry, Evangalene. Lots of delicious lobster on board 9/4-9/11, (I have pictures) unless all the menus suddenly changed this past week. It was the best cruise we have ever been on! Enjoy!

Good to know! Was thinking that Del Rio had confused empanadas with lobster and took it away along with The Flamingo:)

indeed our sailing is coming up soon. Just got my cruise docs today. Yeah!

Not to worry, Evangalene. Lots of delicious lobster on board 9/4-9/11, (I have pictures) unless all the menus suddenly changed this past week. It was the best cruise we have ever been on! Enjoy!

That's great to hear! This is so important to us and our reservations.

Maybe enjsb had a bit too much of the drink package to see the lobster on the specialty menus. ;)

Edited by westcoastman

The person that just posted above who sailed the week after you stated that lobster was gone from the menus.

Edited by LrgPizza

Regarding Wasabi Sushi: We are serious and fairly snobbish with our Sushi. Please don't flame me for this question as I ask this as a born and bred Hoosier who knows the difference.

Are we talking Midwest level sushi or Miami level sushi? I don't want to pay the up charge for the grainy rubbery faux stuff that we wouldn't eat. 🍣

Regarding Wasabi Sushi: We are serious and fairly snobbish with our Sushi. Please don't flame me for this question as I ask this as a born and bred Hoosier who knows the difference.

Are we talking Midwest level sushi or Miami level sushi? I don't want to pay the up charge for the grainy rubbery faux stuff that we wouldn't eat. 🍣

Not really a sushi aficionado but both husband and I really enjoyed it and tried several different things including sashimi. One suggestion could be that if you have a later dinner reservation somewhere else, you get there at 5:30 for a light appetizer. I thought the prices were pretty reasonable and you could even share something. If it's up to your standards then come back for dinner later in the week. :)

• 5 months later...
Not really a sushi aficionado but both husband and I really enjoyed it and tried several different things including sashimi. One suggestion could be that if you have a later dinner reservation somewhere else, you get there at 5:30 for a light appetizer. I thought the prices were pretty reasonable and you could even share something. If it's up to your standards then come back for dinner later in the week. :)

It's been 6 months since the last reply. Is there anything new for 2017?