August 12 the Spirit departs la Serenissima

spinnaker2

We are at the airport...sitting in the lounge.

Not long now.

Have a wonderful trip, we sailed from Venice last September at night which was very pretty but would have loved the day time view. No cruise for us this year so I am clinging desperately to what sanity I have left by reading all the trip reports. S'not fair- I wanna be on a ship...

Rp

Thanks all for the good wishes, they must have been sent to the proper recipient because they worked!

What a great cruise this is!

The weather is incredible, not unbearably hot, pleasant and not humid.

I will post pictures as I can. Right now I am enjoying.

The ship is full. A mixed demographic, some children, teenagers, young couples and older crowd. All seem to be having a lovely time so far.

The stay at the JW Marriott in Venice was a true delight. The island venue is just perfect to get away from the crowds of Venice. Room was very spacious, and the grounds were well kept. I enjoyed seeing the gardens, especially the vegetable garden, which I frankly don't have an opportunity to see at home. The sunset at the rooftop was spectacular! A view of Venice, with a nice cold glass of rose, and the colors of the sky changing moment by moment. I think I took a hundred photos.

Embarkation was fairly flawless, and the sail away was late. I admit we were asleep.

We took the walking tour of Ravenna yesterday. Not to be missed were the mosaics, in brilliant colors.

Today we are in Hvar. Breathtaking views from the off road tour in our jeeps. A very worthwhile adventure.

We have been warmly welcomed back with hugs and warm embraces from so many of the crew. Such a nice gesture to be remembered, and even told, you are like our family by several of the crew.

More later!

Edited by spinnaker2

We are in Corfu today.

Yesterday was Kotor. We took a tour which was such a disappointment. The tour was Pearls of the Adriatic, there were no pearls. A long bus ride to a crowded place that was so full of tourists like us. I get that the country wants to make money, but every inch was selling something.

Kotor is spectacular and the sail in lovely. Don't take tours out of there.

We are not going anywhere today. We have been in Corfu.

Trying to catch up on Internet and posting, but it's very slow.

Spirit responsive to needs of pax, but many pax never bothered to make reservations for dinner at specialty venues. They are begging to get in.

Also, for those strict dress requirements, they are being ignored by many of the pax. In my opinion, the requirements should either be enforced or dropped.

It's a sham if not enforced. Would make my luggage lighter not to have to pack so much.

DH says demographic is cradle to almost grave!

Yesterday was Corfu. We made it a sea day.

Today was Sarande Albania.

We took a tour to the city of Butrint, ancient ruins. Bus ride was long through congested streets full of happy vacationers, once out of city limits it was smooth going.

I know from history the road to Butrint was made for Khrushchev, who wanted to create a submarine station there.

I don't recall the reason the submarine station was vetoed.

Ruins were spread out over some distance and the heat and incline made it tough for some pax.

Sarande and the immediate outskirts are full of mid rise buildings in various stages of completion. The garbage cans were overflowing and lots of buildings were falling into disrepair. The country survives on tourism, I am not sure how, but the beaches are quite beautiful.

No one driving the streets pays much attention to any rules of the road...we encountered difficulty getting through the streets as no one wanted to yield to the bus.

Pool deck is full of sun worshippers. Although the ship is full, the crew are very attentive.

Tonight is formal night.

Hi Spins, great to see you having a good time!

The reason the subs idea didn't gain traction was because K seemed blissfully unaware of the importance of the historic heritage of Butrint to the Albanians, and was somewhat insulting during his visit, and Hoxha got "hacked off" and told K to do one when K said he would like to flatten the ruins and antiquities to base the subs there and eventually Hoxha threw a moody huff and had nothing further to do with the Ruskies.

Over simplified but roughly what happened. :)

Oy .... you! Don't get all dignified and forget your cooler friends! :)

Jeff

Thanks to Jeff for info on sub base.

Formal night is quite interesting.

Many male pax claim not have a jacket with them!

Seriously?..

This is excuse they use.

Do they not know dress code?

Then they beg to get in.

Saw Maitre d give out two jackets, to men in untucked shirts, who were wearing sneakers.

Men refused to put on jackets, but put on their chair.

Unbelievable.

I give up.

Thanks Candy for sharing your on board Spirit Med adventure. Sorry to hear about the rude guests who are not honoring the dress code.

If you get a chance and see Damien about, please pass Ida and my warm regards along.

Wish Damien was going to be our F&B mgr on our upcoming Wind crossing.

I haven't a clue who the cruise director is.

I haven't seen him.

HD is Flávio.

Food and beverage is Damien.

Don't recall the name of the Captain, haven't meet him either. It's not Mino.

Cruise consultant is Barrie.

Thanks so much!

Yesterday was Corfu. We made it a sea day.

Today was Sarande Albania.

We took a tour to the city of Butrint, ancient ruins. Bus ride was long through congested streets full of happy vacationers, once out of city limits it was smooth going.

I know from history the road to Butrint was made for Khrushchev, who wanted to create a submarine station there.

I don't recall the reason the submarine station was vetoed.

Ruins were spread out over some distance and the heat and incline made it tough for some pax.

Sarande and the immediate outskirts are full of mid rise buildings in various stages of completion. The garbage cans were overflowing and lots of buildings were falling into disrepair. The country survives on tourism, I am not sure how, but the beaches are quite beautiful.

No one driving the streets pays much attention to any rules of the road...we encountered difficulty getting through the streets as no one wanted to yield to the bus.

Spinnaker2, happy belated anniversary wishes to you and the Spindoctor. If he still gives you chills...maybe he should be tested for something contagious? ;)

Just found this thread and am catching up with your adventure - sounds like such fun! We visited a few of these Adriatic ports back in 2007 on Oceania. Kotor is gorgeous, but the tour that we took out of town wasn't anything special either. We most enjoyed the hike up to the ruins on the edge of the Old Town.

It seems that Sarande has not changed a bit in almost 10 years. Everything looked half-built. Butrint was neat, though, and worth the visit but otherwise we could have skipped Sarande. The area looks much prettier from Corfu... :rolleyes:

Have a great rest of the cruise and looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip. Loved the pictures of squash blossoms - did they cook them for you?

Edited by jpalbny

Last night after very crowded and HOT Dubrovnik, we were surprised with an on deck dessert party, "Death by chocolate "!

Lots of chocolate of course, conviviality and great music which Giancarlo spun.

I didn't bring my camera, which has suffered an injury. DH dropped the Backpack it was in and it is a little worse for it.

I am frustrated by the extremely slow internet, it takes forever to do anything, especially post photos.

Was up at six am to try and do some work but it's still slowwwwwww.

Saw the Aida pass us this am, just means we are again sharing this port with others.

Watched the sun rise.

We have been to Split before, it's lovely but crowded.

This has been a lovely cruise, and the crew have been incredibly wonderful.

Like J.P., I was late and tardy in finding this thread with your wonderful details and excellent pictures from Venice and other interesting location. Great sharing and reporting!! Keep it coming. Look forward to seeing lots more, including from Dubrovnik.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 62,180 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Edited by TLCOhio

Last night after very crowded and HOT Dubrovnik, we were surprised with an on deck dessert party, "Death by chocolate "! I didn't bring my camera, which has suffered an injury. DH dropped the Backpack it was in and it is a little worse for it. I am frustrated by the extremely slow internet, it takes forever to do anything, especially post photos.

Appreciate these update details from Candy. Not surprised that things were hot and crowded in Dubrovnik. That's kind of "normal" there for this time of the year.

With your thread title of "August 12 the Spirit departs la Serenissima", I was a little confused with the title la Serenissima throwing me off track. Did not know that was a name for the Republic of Venice. Learned something new today.

But, not having your camera in Dubrovnik?? Say it ain't so. And, it was your husband's fault??!! Didn't he take the proper courses at the University of Michigan for being careful with your camera equipment? Can you use your iPhone for some pictures while in these wonderfully scenic locations?

Congrats on your 42nd anniversary. We're at 44th and still counting, up and UP.

Glad that your husband is proudly wearing his Michigan gear. With Ohio-born Jim Harbaugh now coaching at UM, they should continue to do better as a football team. It is only two weeks until your UM football team hosts Hawaii in Michigan Stadium at noon. Then, there are four more home games in a row with Central Florida, Colorado, Penn State and Wisconsin on Oct. 1. BUT, the two biggest Michigan college football games this season are on the road for Sat., Oct. 29 at Michigan State and Sat., Nov. 26 at Ohio State. Will you be in Ann Arbor to attend any of these games, or just watching on TV?? Or, coming to Columbus after Thanksgiving for the UM-OSU game?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 32,694 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Just arrived in Trieste. Last cruise day. Cloudy Sunday.

Yesterday was Zadar, a lovely port.

I have been frustrated by the internet speeds which are so slowwwwww.

I will have to wait to post photos, it simply takes too long and eats up valuable time.

The crew continue to be superb, although the ship is full, one doesn't get that impression.

We had a change of Captain mid cruise, unsure why.

Still don't know who he is, other than a name change on a letter.

I have seen the cruise director as we leave the ship for tours, other than that, he's absent.

Such a far cry from others like Moss.

While there are a few elegantly dressed pax, most are not.

Dress code will always be an issue until it's either enforced or changed.

Enough on that topic.