August 12 the Spirit departs la Serenissima

spinnaker2

Thanks DT, Emtbsam and Steve.

The town of Kotor is protected by a series of fortifications of bastions, ramparts, towers, buildings, which include a church and a castle, which surround the old center city. These medieval walls extend high up on to a hill, and the energetic tourists climb up. Not this tourist, who was content to take photos of the walls from the ship.

4A493AEC-2D4C-4654-BB95-73A62F60FB4D_zps8cyt7kdh.jpg

image_zpsbl1dvbdx.jpeg

A5C2F2AD-4773-4893-AEC1-26C55E395454_zps3nrmkhbm.jpg

As I mentioned in a prior post, we took a tour to Budva and Stari Grad, with a photo op of Sveti Stefan. Once you leave Kotor behind you, the other side of the mountain reached by tunnel, is like any other road, with strip mall type stores, houses and restaurants. Not particularly pretty, although the mountains on either side do lend some beauty.

Our circuitous ride eventually took us to another coast, where garish hotels and billboards hugged the cliffs. Our bus then stopped so that we could get out and take a picture of Sveti Stefan, an island which is sequestered and where the rich and famous stay on holiday.

I admit it was pretty but not a pearl. Ok maybe a cultured pearl...

image_zps6sbe34wh.jpeg

We continued on our journey and reached Budva. It was a seaside city, complete with buildings of every size and type and overwhelmed by tourists. Cars clogged the roads and beach goers and sun seekers were everywhere. The police were trying to manage the flow of all three to no avail. Our bus eventually was able to negotiate thru the traffic and we were disgorged. Burp.

Our guide took us on a march to Stari Grad, the old town, which is surrounded by ramparts built by the Venetians. The old town was destroyed in an earthquake in 1979, and has been rebuilt. It's narrow streets snake through the old town and its buildings which are filled to the brim with tourists, shops selling trinkets and other such stuff.

I managed to take some photos without people in them.

image_zps4ccf9qej.jpeg

263E9CF3-388F-4E90-902B-9B9C0D6D3B98_zpsxswutcio.jpg

image_zpsogwk18qe.jpeg

I believe this is the church of Santa Maria, dating from the 9th century.

image_zpsrn2oghj6.jpeg

We encountered a flute player in a small square.

image_zps5l3mufcu.jpeg

The streets...

image.jpg4_zps9phx7jhs.jpg

Then we left the old city and went to a restaurant for a snack of meat and cheese on white bread. I haven't a clue whether it was a "typical" snack or just what they could give tourists. On the way to the restaurant, our tour guide lost two of the group, they eventually caught up to us at the end of the tour.

Our guide regaled us with talks of the laziness of the Montenegrans. He said no one wants to work and they want tourism, but not mass tourism. They are looking for "exclusive type people" to stay and fill the coffers. He told jokes about his country which were, often, in poor taste. I couldn't wait to get back to the ship and the beauty of Kotor.

I was asked about the cruise director, I found his name and info in the Chronicles. He is Rico Du-Breil. He was born in the Dominican Republic and started his career in 1992 when he joined Club Med. In 1998 he joined Royal Caribbean.

He joined Silversea in 2016.

As I said, I saw him when we left the ship in the morning on tours. Other than that, he was pretty invisible. Except for the announcements mid day.

The Captain, when we boarded, was Samuelle Failla.

At some point that changed, and he left. We weren't privy to the reason.

Captain Gennaro Arma took over.

I was asked about the cruise director, I found his name and info in the Chronicles. He is Rico Du-Breil. He was born in the Dominican Republic and started his career in 1992 when he joined Club Med. In 1998 he joined Royal Caribbean.

He joined Silversea in 2016.

As I said, I saw him when we left the ship in the morning on tours. Other than that, he was pretty invisible. Except for the announcements mid day.

The Captain, when we boarded, was Samuelle Failla.

At some point that changed, and he left. We weren't privy to the reason.

Captain Gennaro Arma took over.

Thanks, Spinn. Interesting info. Every CD has a different style. Since they are in charge of entertainment, IMHO they should mingle and be out-and-about with guests. It is definitely not a job for an introvert, though we have seen some in that role on Silversea (Chris Martin, who didn't last very long). That being said, they report to the hotel director so they may take their cues on what the approach should be from the HD.

Can't recall whether we've sailed with Captain Arma. We do know Flávio. Should be an interesting cruise with a crew that we don't know very well if the crew is the same as when you were on! We board 9/9.

By the way, do you know who the duo was in Stars?

Thanks for info--photos are great!

Thanks Lola and Herman.

The ever present and delightful Giancarlo was the DJ.

Jazz duo was Helene and Andre.

Pianist was Andre.

Pool deck duo was Rica and Reneo.

Cruise consultant was Ira Feldman.

Art hawker was Rami Ron.

Our guide regaled us with talks of the laziness of the Montenegrans. He said no one wants to work and they want tourism, but not mass tourism. They are looking for "exclusive type people" to stay and fill the coffers. He told jokes about his country which were, often, in poor taste. I couldn't wait to get back to the ship and the beauty of Kotor.

Great that you made it to Budva. When we visited there, it was busy, but not too bad. Liked walking around their "old town" there. Clearly the heat and crowds can be a challenge. Appreciate your continued excellent postings and the visuals. You mentioned the discussion/debate on laziness for the people of Montenegro. Below is an interesting tee-shirt that we could have purchased in Montenegro. Just took this picture, but did not spend the money to purchase.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 216,085 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a tee-shirt option we could have purchased in Montenegro where it is designed to make fun of the point/question as to whether or not those in this country are lazy.:

July2016Pis4_zpsgkuspdto.jpg

Thanks Lola and Herman.

The ever present and delightful Giancarlo was the DJ.

Jazz duo was Helene and Andre.

Pianist was Andre.

Pool deck duo was Rica and Reneo.

Cruise consultant was Ira Feldman.

Art hawker was Rami Ron.

Lots more new names in the past few months! We do know Ira, do you mean he was the destination consultant (who did the lectures) or the cruise consultant (selling cruises)? We were with him in the Baltics and he was the destination consultant. And they are selling art now? Wow. What a difference in 6 or so months! The ships turn over frequently, so we'll see who's on board in 2 weeks.

:)

Spinnaker, your wonderful photos are helping me revisit a very enjoyable cruise. If it had been a few degrees cooler, it would have been perfect -- but after all, it's August. What did I expect? Most of the folks I hung out with gave high marks to Ira's lectures; he's also a very approachable guy and fun to swap stories with. Monia, our international hostess, is also a charmer.

image.jpg1_zpsf4avnmf5.jpg

Contemporary art greeted us on our return to Kotor.

An exhibit from a recent art show.

We spent the late afternoon at a wine and food pairing in Le Champagne, hosted by Kire Cenevski and Dion Carstens. There were only six couples in attendance at this private Relais and Chateaux event. Some good wine and good food!

Unfortunately we learned later, that Mr. Carstens hurt his back and had to leave the ship in Dubrovnik.

I was awakened during the night by a golden light flooding our suite. The moon was particularly beautiful and low on the horizon as we made our way across the sea to the port of Corfu.

Apologies for the blurriness, slow shutter and unsteady hand without a tripod.

Nevertheless, you get the idea.

The spectacle didn't last long. I just marveled at the sight.

image_zpsfbztud5w.jpeg

I don't know why the charge of the ship was changed from one Captain to another.

I am not speculating or suggesting or implying any reason for it other than it happened.

As I said, we weren't made privy to the reason.

It simply occurred mid cruise no explanation.

image_zps7ugezo5f.jpeg

Above is a photograph of the fortress of Corfu as seen from the ship.

We didn't get off in Corfu, we have been to the port before. Instead we enjoyed the beautiful weather and watching the excerises of the tender boats from one of the other three ships docked at the port. Nothing better than sitting outside at La Terrazza, enjoying the view, with a glass of wine ( or two) and some delicious food.

image_zpsmip1rpkz.jpeg

Does anyone know the significance of the gold teeth like structures on the bow of the Costa Deliziosa? They reminded me of sharks teeth or the smile of the Tasmanian devil cartoon character.

The Aida.

image_zpsyrejm1au.jpeg

image_zpsfc9bxynk.jpeg

For exercise for exercise!

image_zpseh5gdyf0.jpeg

As I mentioned before, the city is in various stages of building. One can see deep holes dug in the side of the rock, awaiting building to begin, also some buildings in very poor repair and abandoned.

image_zpsotqyhdvg.jpeg

image_zpspbgxcrb3.jpeg

In sharp contrast to the other side of the road.

image_zpscntnwgxl.jpeg

Some relatively unspoiled country.

image_zpseyuyw1oy.jpeg

But quickly becoming developed into touristic venues.

image_zpsgabjmril.jpeg

The ruins are about 14 kilometers south of Sarande and are a UNESCO heritage site. The National park was created in 2000. The city of Butrint was occupied by the ancient Greeks, later it became a Roman city, but it has been occupied by many different cultures, including the Venetians.

The city overlooks the Vivari channel and has a strategically important position due to its access to the straits of Corfu.

Looking towards the channel.

image_zpsug3abrfe.jpeg

Looking towards the ancient theater which was constructed in the 3rd century.

image_zpse7p2jhhb.jpeg

The theatre is used even today.

image_zpsxqrsmf72.jpeg

Roman baths (thermae) of the 2nd century AD. This worker is standing in the hot bath section.

image_zpsbobiupje.jpeg

The mosaic floor is all that remains of the cold bath section of the baths.

image_zpsc63tteul.jpeg

image_zpsnmb7ngux.jpeg

We tendered in to port.

image_zpsdlkpag7c.jpeg

Did I mention how HOT it was in Dubrovnik? It was so hot we were all drippy with sweat even in the early morning.

image_zpsknkzjabi.jpeg

The market was just opening. This gentleman was smiling because I asked him if I could photograph his wares, something I always do out of courtesy. Only in Malaga have I been refused, as the vendor wanted money for a picture.

image_zpslr5iphqd.jpeg

Sweets of Dubrovnik.

image_zps7yzfhjk5.jpeg

Lush fruits and berries.

image_zpsstkle1y0.jpeg

Interior of the Basilica, the apse under renovations.

image_zpssuqiawpi.jpeg

The Basilica

image_zpswxjzyyjg.jpeg

image_zpsgw5slbx9.jpeg

image_zpspp2sepsc.jpeg

The large fountain of Onofrios, constructed around 1438 to deliver fresh water to the city. It still delivers fresh potable water. You can also see the visitors to the city walking the perimeter walls.

image_zpsvb5orl5r.jpeg

The small Onofrios fountain, it supplies water to Luza square.