August 12 the Spirit departs la Serenissima

spinnaker2

Did I mention how HOT it was in Dubrovnik? It was so hot we were all drippy with sweat even in the early morning.

Appreciate your continued and excellent postings. Got more, Candy?? Yes, Dubrovnik can be very warm, especially as the tourist flood this historic city. Fortunately for us when there, it was upper 70's with a nice breeze. That made walking the Wall Walk be wonderfully refreshing.

Had not heard of Butrint. Had to look it up. Looks interesting!! Great history there. Not surprised that you were the only ship at Sarande, Albania. That country has had a challenged recent period of history during the past decades. Have friends who grew up there. No surprised that they exited out from that country.

Any pictures of the Silver Spirit shown in the scenic harbor area of Dubrovnik? Great setting?!!?

Assume you're busy catching up, but have not heard back about your reactions to my postings at the Cooler about the Michigan and Miami football seasons that kick off later this week. Reactions and insights??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 62,372 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

image_zps5ayimuht.jpeg

image_zpsc29raad9.jpeg

Above was sunrise as we traveled into port of Dubrovnik.

image_zpsf4kf3vpc.jpeg

One of the four corridors adjacent to the cloistered garden at the monastery, Order of the Friars Minor. The monastery has a Francisican church, library, and a pharmacy.

image_zpsfoxyut8p.jpeg

image_zps9bdwrhjj.jpeg

image_zpsxwgunuhi.jpeg

Tranquil, quiet and a good place to meditate. Yet in one of the wars, the French kept their horses in the garden.

image_zpsuxrjisjd.jpeg

On the walls of the cloister are many of these.

I can't translate it.

image_zpsvrvkfook.jpeg

Altar of the sanctuary.

image_zpss3o3gldx.jpeg

image_zps3xrzltsm.jpeg

image_zps8nu8wmvq.jpeg

Streets are crowded. All of these women who stepped in the gutter of the street won't get married, according to local folklore.

Your Dubrovnik pictures bring back many happy memories, spins; probably the nicest is remembering being anchored in the bay and sitting out at the back of the casual restaurant, in lovely weather, with a glass of something cool and white, and a light lunch! Heaven on earth. Santorini was another nice place to sit outside at the back and look at the astonishing cliffs.

Lola

Thanks Lola and DT.

I just went back and looked at my photos of Santorini.

I would have to agree with you, sitting at La Terrazza looking at the cliffs of Santorini was magnificent. There was also something oddly disquieting about sitting in the middle of an active caldera, ready to erupt underwater. The Spirit was just one of the many cruise ships floating above the volcano, where it is known that the caldera reawakened in January 2011 and lots of seismic activity has been measured subsequently.

A little more than one week until we depart.

The excitement has definitely been tempered by some trepidation given the state of our very small globe and the agenda of some who have ill thoughts.

Our children feel we are, to quote them, "pushing our luck" by going.

I have tried to explain my philosophy that one can't live in fear, but I am not sure they are appeased.

I say we won't take any unnecessary risks or place ourselves in harms way. Not sure that is a true statement and perhaps rings hollow. Aren't we all at risk everywhere? Certainly the events of the last few years, months, weeks and days show that anything can happen anywhere.

A kernel of their concern has lodged in my mind, and it gnaws at me.

Nevertheless, we are going forward.

The only kernel of concern I have is Colonel Wes!

Your Dubrovnik pictures bring back many happy memories, spins; probably the nicest is remembering being anchored in the bay and sitting out at the back of the casual restaurant, in lovely weather, with a glass of something cool and white, and a light lunch! Heaven on earth. Santorini was another nice place to sit outside at the back and look at the astonishing cliffs. Lola

Yes, well summarized by lincslady for how all of Candy's very nice Dubrovnik pictures bring back nice memories. Appreciate these fine postings!! Any more to share? While we have been to Mykonos and some other Greek islands, we still need to visit Santorini. It's high on our "to-do" listing. Sound great and interesting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 32,811 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

F440F862-DBC1-4071-BCAB-3988F5937273_zpsydzxgyvx.jpg

Diocletians Palace through the gate in Split. Apparently the Emperor Diocletian, gave up his day job and retired here in 305. The palace is actually a misnomer, as the entire town of abut 3000 residents and 220 buildings comprises the palace. There are open courtyards, narrow streets and passageways, making wandering around a must in Split.

60F4E91C-30B9-4246-96B2-A2559F2974FA_zpsbjff8ftz.jpg

The octagonal mausoleum which later became a church, the Cathedral of St. Dominus.

6FBB2ED1-3B28-4BD2-AC2F-077527702D87_zpsgh91ixx4.jpg

C08950A2-CC33-4AA5-9A05-A876FFBE855E_zpsrzqxg0xa.jpg

106CC329-4324-4EF9-90FA-80AC2FD9F709_zpsyf8sxmqb.jpg

Steps to the bell tower...

2D5CF2F3-6EED-4FE4-9871-DC2CA33E758D_zpswlq1vpne.jpg

Edited by spinnaker2

The Chronicles has a reminder from the Shore Concierge today stating "that the extreme high temperatures we are experiencing are normal for this time of the year in the Med and our ports of call."

Yes people, it's really HOT. As I mentioned we have been to the Med in the summer and it was the same. We take our backpack and a thermos full of water, which stays pretty cold as it has an insulated sleeve. Silversea hands out water bottles at every port. One definitely needs the hydration.

But back to Zadar!

The travel brochure put out by the tourist board states Zadar is a city with a soul, and irrestible Mediterranean charm, and I completely agree.

The Spirit docked directly in front of the Monument to the Sun, a large blue circle comprised of 300 layered glass plates with solar modules, which becomes a light show once it is dark. The monument was completed in 2008, and also has several smaller circles near it which represent the planets of our solar system.

7B8B71C7-77D7-47B0-8267-B460D46DBAC1_zpssskj3gtl.jpg

This is also next to the sea organ, which plays music by the action of the sea waves, the sound emerges from tubes located near the steps.

The sound is mournful, and has been likened to a whale song.

This entire area along the sea front is known as the Nova Riva, a new city coast which was completed in 2005. While not many people were here when we first arrived, the area quickly became a hub for joggers, walkers, bicyclists, sun worshippers and swimmers.

9B423AA1-4EE1-4939-9A46-1C0BF2C144DC_zpsitwoa3hp.jpg

I was amazed to see people swimming so close to the ship but the water was crystal clear. It almost resembled malachite!

As we walked along the waters edge we saw people fishing, snorkeling and sunning themselves. The city was immaculately clean.

4C7F8360-6B9E-4828-AEE7-0E24E59F8408_zpse4yhmsex.jpg

9094F200-607A-4330-AF3B-B732363A8704_zpstdgywa7f.jpg

You can see the Spirit in the background.

Candy (and Larry in support) thanks for taking the time to share your beautiful pictures.

Good work!

Look forward to joining (just 71 days out) Larry, you, dougburns, mpfund, silver spectre, and zgtchas on board the Wind for the fall crossing.

Zadar is the fifth largest city in Croatia, with a population of about 75,000. The area has been populated since prehistoric times.

In the center of the city is a Roman forum, founded by the first Roman Emperor Augustus, and completed in the 3rd century. It is an integral part of the old city, a living monument where you can sit on and touch the stones, no one precludes you from doing so.

B3A7A01D-09C8-4EAA-89A5-299BAFD02947_zpsytigtnej.jpg

At the back left of the picture is a column from Augustus' time but which was used in the Middle Ages as a pillar of shame, where miscreants were chained for public shaming.

46EFC0F6-6B2D-4F94-A28C-F881BA814A21_zpsbh5gynge.jpg

54DE5590-C565-459C-97C8-2AC55094EF8E_zpsvaiu9bxb.jpg

23944C44-821D-48E4-889A-36983E796AD8_zpsv7zuhxjt.jpg

Above is a photo of the round 9th century pre Romanesque church of St. Donatus. Primitive in its simplicity, some of the stones from the Roman forum were used in its construction.

Thanks Wes. Looking forward to the crossing.

63DD017C-01A4-420A-AFF6-AB590225E452_zpsregy9wuw.jpg

Above is the Bell Tower of the church of St Anastasia finished in 1893, and adjacent to the forum and the center of old town.

It may look less than crowded, but the old city was teeming with people walking, sitting in cafes and enjoying the gorgeous weather. I try to take pictures without people in them, but I can't always do so.

5785254B-653E-4F3C-BE4A-79D18ED64C27_zpsbtiijgmb.jpg

Along the side of St. Anastasia, many street vendors had set up their wares to sell.

ED9B530B-94F0-44AA-84A1-C47D542DB277_zpszuqjetjg.jpg

I found a relatively uncrowded street. So pristine!

D1C946E6-9A57-4752-9AE9-7BCDF3646F44_zpsyvlmebt1.jpg

Flowers everywhere.

6AC2201B-90C3-47E4-AED6-A446E88B2B66_zps31p42rbf.jpg

Church of St Chrysogonus, consecrated in 1175.

E4B5B26E-A95E-4269-AF1C-BF58D61D5EB8_zpskbg5u4xg.jpg

These twisted columns and arches form the side of St Chrysogonus.

BE72F6D9-F632-4BB0-85B4-9773570647FB_zpsemvyl2vs.jpg

The view through the gate of St Chrysogonus, so named because of its proximity to the church. Zadar was the largest city fortress in the Republic of Venice surrounded by walls and gates into the old town.

1966C924-29F1-4E28-A9E8-ED3898203F56_zpsawzrzv5a.jpg

The other side of the gate into the old city.

FE82FD35-714A-4867-8F18-77DEF4393F07_zpsobynprsy.jpg

View down the street to the gate.

Hello spinnaker.

Finally I caught up to the end of your thread so far. Super pictures, thank you.

I was a little taken aback when reading your listing of names including 'art hawker' role. Can you tell us more? Is this a permanent thing for SS or something they are trying just for the busy Med season?

Interesting about the dress code or people not following it. I have noticed this on SS and SB too in the Med.

Speaking of SB, you caught two shots of the Seabourn Odyssey from your vantage point in La Terrazza there in Corfu, behind the Aida.