Dyea Dave Roundtrip or Train Ride Back?

anteloat

I am considering doing the Dyea Dave tour in Skagway in a few weeks and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether I should ride with Dyea Dave round trip or is it worth paying for the one way train ticket back? Also, does anyone know where I would be taking the train back from? Thanks.

My crystal ball isn't working. :)

It's up to you- IF you wish to consider the train or not. It is a different journey, loaded with history and scenery. You would be loading in either Fraser of Lake Bennett/Carcross, depending what your choice is.

With so many taking the train back, I am wondering if we will get an almost

private tour back if we stay on the bus?

No extra charge to keep our seats for the ride back either. ;)

We will be getting our train enjoyment on Alaska Rail round trip to and from

Seward. Works for us. :)

With so many taking the train back, I am wondering if we will get an almost

private tour back if we stay on the bus?

No extra charge to keep our seats for the ride back either. ;)

We will be getting our train enjoyment on Alaska Rail round trip to and from

Seward. Works for us. :)

Many times there isn't any "tour" on the way back. Just a ride back on the same road.

But- for some, the White Pass RR is a highlight, and what I consider very different than the Alaska RR.

Glad you have a an itinerary that your choice.

If it was me I'd take the train back - it's very nice scenery and completely different than you see from the highway. I was there in May so there was plenty of snow to be seen from the train - some of the small lakes were still frozen over too. I spoke with Dave a couple times when planning my trip last winter - if you're going to take the train one way it's a good idea to take it on the return portion because in the morning it's often foggy/cloudy and not much to see from train. By the afternoon (that you're considering) he said the poor visibility generally burns off.

Here are a couple of my favorite pics from the train ride:

27556827392_7248d5d654_b.jpg

27377134230_d6e4233542_b.jpg

27042441583_7c5d597852_b.jpg

Just over a week ago we did the train all the way up to Carcross and the van back but with Chilkoot Charters. I highly recommend the train, the scenery is amazing and so much different the drive, they really are two different trips as others have said. If returning by train try and sit on the right for best scenery.

For those that took the train back after the van ride up to Carcross, is there narration on the train? When we took the train up and back during our Alaska cruise a few years back, there was a lot of narration going up, but next to nothing if at all, going back down.