Formal nights advice please

I am finding very conflicting advice regarding the dress codes for the formal nights. Some say there is a dumbing down of the dress code and others say there are still many tux/ballgowns on the go. I sail on Brilliance of the Seas 12 night Med leaving Barcelona on 25th July. We are a famly of 5 - 2 adults and an 18, 15 and 12 year old. This is our first time cruising and I'm anxious not to get it wrong. Any advice gratefully received!

Hi, we were on the Brilliance on 7 June 12 night Med Cruise and for the first time in 25 cruises I didn't wear a dinner suit (Tux). Did wear a jacket and tie and felt very comfortable. My wife still dressed up but not with any long dresses. Huge mixture of fashions including smart/ casual/ very casual and a bit scruffy (my opinion) on the formal nights. Best advice is conform to the cruise line rules but be comfortable, its your cruise.

I gave up on tux's cruises ago. Not many wear them and they were very heavy to bring along. I opt for a jacket and tie. The shirts and ties get changed out but the jacket is the same. As long as your children look presentable, you'll be fine.

If you choose to actually dress in formalwear, you will be fine. If you don't want to, you aren't required to.

Ballgowns are not needed...a simple evening gown will suffice...or a cocktail dress!

I am finding very conflicting advice regarding the dress codes for the formal nights. Some say there is a dumbing down of the dress code and others say there are still many tux/ballgowns on the go. I sail on Brilliance of the Seas 12 night Med leaving Barcelona on 25th July. We are a famly of 5 - 2 adults and an 18, 15 and 12 year old. This is our first time cruising and I'm anxious not to get it wrong. Any advice gratefully received!

I would be more concerned with luggage weight limits. Especially in you are flying too & from Europe.

I am finding very conflicting advice regarding the dress codes for the formal nights. Some say there is a dumbing down of the dress code and others say there are still many tux/ballgowns on the go.

I don't get what's conflicting. Some people go formal, some people go less formal.

Surely the conflicting advise was telling you that there isn't a strict dress code and you don't need another thread to regurgitate the same information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get what's conflicting. Some people go formal, some people go less formal.

Surely the conflicting advise was telling you that there isn't a strict dress code and you don't need another thread to regurgitate the same information.

I think what may be conflicting is the different views on this in the regions sailed.

All my European cruises have had a very high concentration on Tux's for gents. I can't really remember my last caribbean cruise but gather from this board that not as many dress formally now on these. I was therefore expecting something similar on our Dubai cruise (being outside of Europe) but it was very nearly 100% formal attire or national dress for both nights.

I don't think its as simple to say some do/some don't go formal. Of course if it doesn't bother you either way it doesn't matter :)

When luggage got tight, as in limits and charging for extra bags, we quit doing formal night. We have only eaten one time in the last 8 years in the main dining room. One trip to Europe, we ate in the windjammer, but on the others, I usually book Chops or other specialty restaurants on formal night.

You are not required to wear a coat as a man, but I prefer to just avoid it all together. We used to do the full tuxedo and different dresses each formal night, but once you get to 20 plus cruises and not being young, it was pretty easy to get past dressing up. How many pictures of a couple in formal wear do you need?

Since it is your first cruise, I would recommend participating in formal night if you desire. It is part of an experience, that is rapidly disappearing.

JC

At one time my husband and sons all wore tuxes on formal night. When we started to fly and had to worry about the weight limit, they exchanged them for suits/jackets and interchangeable ties and pants. I am very careful with weight and flying, too. So I still dress with long and short dresses but am careful about shoes:eek:

Enjoy your trip and have fun.

My husband wore a nice suit both nights..just changed his shirt and tie. I wore a knee black cocktail dress both nights. We keep it classy but simple. I did see many women with floor length gowns on the Allure and a couple men in tuxs.

I would be more concerned with luggage weight limits. Especially in you are flying too & from Europe.

You can always rent a tux. Then you wouldn't have to worry about extra weight. We were seated with a couple from England on one cruise. She wore a full ball gown on formal night. Still trying to figure out how she packed that thing.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply - I'm probably over-thinking it! Apologies to you 'Penciltwister' - I seem t0 have rattled your cage but hey you still found time to spew forth a venomous reply.

Venomous? Bit dramatic aren't we dear?

We were on the same cruise the May 14th sailing. You will see everything on formal night. DH wore pants with a Tommy Bahama shirt and I wore a cocktail dress.

Don't stress you'll be fine.

Donna

You don't need tuxes and jackets .

For your first cruise or 50th, you will never go wrong and be very comfortable with hubby in a suite and tie and gals in fancy dresses, short or long. ( does not have to be a ball gown, short or long is fine). Many more people than not , do dress a bit fancy on the formal nights especially in Europe.

We've done several European cruises (2 last year) and I do think that they are also becoming a bit less formal, especially on the summer cruises with kids. Tuxes are still seen on the older men (less common on the younger crowd) and lots of women still do the ball gown, but cocktail for women is perfectly acceptable. For your kids, a shirt and tie is more than enough. Rarely are the kids in a suit (and by kids I mean anyone under 18).

I also agree that you'll get some great family pix if you plan on at least one night to dress up!